"...A Direct Threat To The United States Of America..."

The other day I heard on a radio talk show the mis-steps that some Canadian callers had encountered whilst attempting to enter the U.S.A. for a visit, & I immediately thought of one such personal "adventure" that was visited upon both my wife & I just over a decade ago...

We spent the night in Sarnia, where we were going to watch my wife's nephew's teen-aged son playing in a hockey tournament that day there. His game wasn't scheduled until very late in the afternoon, so we figured that it'd be nice to do some cross-border shopping & exploring in nearby Port Huron, Michigan. Bit as we approached the row of U.S. Customs booths in our car, we thought it rather odd that each & every one of them had 2 other Customs officers assigned to it who were tasked with examining cars' trunk contents. Neither of us had ever seen that before...

Anyway, we drove up to an available booth, & after the usual routine questions of, "Where do you live...? What is the purpose of your trip...? Are you bringing any fruits,vegetables, or meat products with you...?" etc., the guard in the booth asked, "Do you like your money...?"

We both took this last query as being rather strange -- but after a bit of hesitation I replied with, "Yes, I guess we do".

At about that very point that this same guard caught in his hand a navel orange that was tossed to him by one of the trunk examiners. "Are you aware of this piece of fruit that our guard discovered hidden in the cooler inside your trunk...?" My wife had retrieved the orange from a complimentary hotel lobby fruit basket as we left for the border just an hour or so before for later consumption during the day, & had forgotten all about it. "But sir", I protested, "That orange probably itself came to Canada from your country's own state of Florida. Now, if it had been an apple, or a..." 

But I wasn't allowed to finish my sentence, because he cut me off with a statement that I struggled very hard not to laugh out loud at in his face when he said it: "This orange is a direct threat to the security of the United States of America". He then let us go on our way after his warning...but talk about your "Paul Blart: Shopping Mall Cop" kind of an encounter...!

• Like 1

Kathy Hochul, Governor of New York State, struck a rather strange note recently. While trying to show her support for Israel in Gaza she got a little carried away and offered this scenario about her northern neighbour:

“If Canada someday ever attacked Buffalo, I’m sorry, my friends, there would be no Canada the next day,” Ms. Hochul said in a video of the speech posted on social media. “That is a natural reaction. You have a right to defend yourself and to make sure that it never happens again. And that is Israel’s right.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/16/nyregion/kathy-hochul-israel-gaza-canada-comments.html

And she’s a Democrat. Lord help us. 

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

New york state is not in florida Eddy.

Freakin' bot has been wonky for the last few days.

Beep!

The bot's power supply has been overheating for a while. That happens when the cooling system is blocked by TDS sludge.

• Haha 1

"...e\was?  Man - programmers today are just getting sloppy..."

Wow CdnFox, you  & others of your ilk sure are smart like nothing...! Have either of you dared to play the game of "Solitaire" alone yet -- or is even just the thought of that still proving to be far too challenging for your individual craniums to even contemplate undertaking...? 

Besides, it's always so much safer & comforting just to lie prone in your foam rubber wallpaper-lined cell, wearing that jacket with the 60" long sleeves isn't it...? Go to sleep now. The bogeyman isn't here anymore to frighten you...

"Wow CdnFox, you  & others of your ilk sure are smart like nothing...! Have either of you dared to play the game of "Solitaire" alone yet "

ROFLMAO - man this thing is buggy as hell. It's interesting to see the little mistakes, like how it thinks "others of your ilk" is the same as one individual person and asks if "either of us"  have played solitare alone (???????) 

Still - the tech is definitely coming.   I  mean - this thing can't pass the turing test yet but in fairness neither can Myata.

and here you are, battling it out with an apparent bot, but still somehow managing to look stupid doing it.  

image.thumb.png.a66b15e5e1a2059735f648b1d25e727d.png

Even the "bot" can recognize when you've made up something to argue against...with yourself. 

I'm not sure what would be more embarrassing...that this is a bot and that it was still able to point out your foolishness, or that it's not a bot and you've spent the last few days trying to convince everyone it is.  🤣

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

and here you are, battling it out with an apparent bot, but still somehow managing to look stupid doing it.  

image.thumb.png.a66b15e5e1a2059735f648b1d25e727d.png

Even the "bot" can recognize when you've made up something to argue against...with yourself. 

I'm not sure what would be more embarrassing...that this is a bot and that it was still able to point out your foolishness, or that it's not a bot and you've spent the last few days trying to convince everyone it is.  🤣

Oh look.  As predicted in the other thread, once  you've lost the argument and feel like an 1diot you chase me all over the forum randomly attacking trying to make yourself feel better :)  LOLOL  Well i called that one right :)   Every single time.

Kiddo - the only one who looks stupid is you.  God you're so emotionally damaged it's not funny.

On 2/19/2024 at 8:34 AM, Eddy said:

"...e\was?  Man - programmers today are just getting sloppy..."

Wow CdnFox, you  & others of your ilk sure are smart like nothing...! Have either of you dared to play the game of "Solitaire" alone yet -- or is even just the thought of that still proving to be far too challenging for your individual craniums to even contemplate undertaking...? 

Besides, it's always so much safer & comforting just to lie prone in your foam rubber wallpaper-lined cell, wearing that jacket with the 60" long sleeves isn't it...? Go to sleep now. The bogeyman isn't here anymore to frighten you...

ilk? We're in Canada it's elk. Do ilk's come from New York or Florida?