Social Media in the MeToo/GenZ era

Just now, impartialobserver said:

We know that they are exposed to vastly more information than the non-internet generations before them. That can't be denied unless you have never left your house. 

I agree.  So, what does that mean in terms of effects ?  

What else do we know ?  

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

I agree.  So, what does that mean in terms of effects ?  

What else do we know ?  

We know that they do less face to face purchase.. Online shopping purchases have increased. The younger generation is more likely to use that route for purchases than others. They show their reticence for physical purchases with their online purchases, social media interactions, and the number of outlets that they create (blogs, podcasts, instagram, tiktok) as opposed to the far more limited offerings in 1989 for example. 

13 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

We know that they do less face to face purchase.. Online shopping purchases have increased. The younger generation is more likely to use that route for purchases than others. They show their reticence for physical purchases with their online purchases, social media interactions, and the number of outlets that they create (blogs, podcasts, instagram, tiktok) as opposed to the far more limited offerings in 1989 for example. 

Hmmm.... well so we're saying they're less social and more so than older people ?

Ok - whether or not it's true it's a pretty reasonable assumption to make on the face of it. I can't draw a line to bad at service jobs, though, nor further to the "bad yout" point.

11 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Google is at your fingertips, but nothing seems to be seeping in. 

People can't hold intelligent debates anymore.

I also look at people being voted in. 

I travel a lot. I look at the sheer incompetence of the youth serving me. How absolutely useless and coddled so many seem to be. 

Maybe you're onto something that it isn't an IQ issue, but something clearly is amiss.

Potentially between the ears.

Despite you being a googlefi master, all you have is anecdotal evidence.

That is why I ASK YOU for your source. Thanks anyway.

4 minutes ago, robosmith said:

We ONLY know what social scientists have designed and executed studies to reveal.

Other anecdotal observations are highly suspect.

I don't trust social scientists, though.  I trust their intentions but methods have been shown to be highly flawed in several respects.

10 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I don't trust social scientists, though.  I trust their intentions but methods have been shown to be highly flawed in several respects.

So has anecdotal evidence, only much more so.

At least when you have a study, you can examine and critique the methodology.

34 minutes ago, robosmith said:

That is why I ASK YOU for your source.

What do you want? Declining Canadian and American education? Drop out rates? Reading proficiency?

Comparative charts to education systems that are superior globally, and a growing gap?

There is a decline in the intelligence level, whether you wish to accept it or not.

Maybe, just maybe social media hollowing out peoples brains may have something to do with it.

6 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

What do you want? Declining Canadian and American education? Drop out rates? Reading proficiency?

Comparative charts to education systems that are superior globally, and a growing gap?

There is a decline in the intelligence level, whether you wish to accept it or not.

Maybe, just maybe social media hollowing out peoples brains may have something to do with it.

How about SAT and ACT (or equivalent) test scores? Though those are only for college bound teens....

You're already begging the question....

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Like Reagan said about democracy...

Social science is truly the worst way to understand social trends--except for all the others.

1 hour ago, robosmith said:

So has anecdotal evidence, only much more so.

At least when you have a study, you can examine and critique the methodology.

Well anecdotal is clearly nothing more than a fancy story. The problem with a lot of sociological surveys as they were done , is that the subjects were white college students only. Fast forward to 2000 the year 2000 that is, and random sampling via land line is very difficult.

Very interesting that in the age of data we've also developed barriers to collecting it randomly.

The people who know most are the marketers

36 minutes ago, Hodad said:

Like Reagan said about democracy...

Social science is truly the worst way to understand social trends--except for all the others.

Well I suspect things have got much better in the last 20 years.