Poilievre says Conservatives will table thousands of amendments to keep Parliament sitting over Christmas

CdnFox

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-thousands-amendments-parliament-christmas-1.7050531

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said Wednesday his MPs are prepared to make "thousands of amendments" to legislation to keep Parliament sitting over Christmas if the Liberal government doesn't scrap its carbon tax. (for farmers- added for clarity)

"You will have no rest until the tax is gone," Poilievre said in a message to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and MPs from the governing party.

The threat comes after senators appointed by Trudeau amended part of a Conservative private member's bill, C-234, that would have delivered a carbon tax carve-out to some farmers.

Progressive Sen. Pierre Dalphond's amendment, passed by a 40-39 vote, keeps the carbon tax exemption for grain drying but deletes the section that provided tax relief for heating barns and greenhouses.

So - a little misleading at first - they're not looking for an end to the carbon tax - just for some of the farmer's stuff.

Having said that - i don't really feel like this kind of thing benefits the CPC.  It's seen as being somewhat confrontational and it's not like cutting the tax on farmers was a massive issue in the front of people's minds.  And even if he does win people won't see a significant difference for some time so he'll get no points with the public from it.

I think this is the first mistake we've seen him make in quite a while, but it shouldn't be too 'expensive' and we'll see how it plays out. I might be wrong.

lol trying to bully   to get what he wants done. he looks like a spoiled child not getting his way more then a man whos trying to prove he would be a competent  Prime minister. however mps sit far to few days.. so i won't cry to see them have to work thru christmas for once 123 days   is a joke 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jack9000 said:

lol trying to bully   to get what he wants done. he looks like a spoiled child not getting his way more then a man whos trying to prove he would be a competent  Prime minister. however mps sit far to few days.. so i won't cry to see them have to work thru christmas for once 123 days   is a joke 

Well it's always interesting when the left calls it 'bullying' when the right does it, but "standing up for people" when their own people do it :) Was Jagmeet "bullying" when he did the deal with the libs, or bullying when he told them he'd pull it apart if they didn't do what he said?

This is a valid enough tactic and given the lib-ndp coalition which is in effect a majority it's the only real way he can push for things.
But was this what he should be pushing for? It just doesn't feel like a hill to die on.

14 minutes ago, Aristides said:

I don't care if they sit over Christmas, I was away from home for more than a few. However, PP better be there with the rest of them.

That's a guarantee.  The photo ops alone make it worth it.

1 hour ago, Jack9000 said:

gonna anger alot of his own mps/staffers if they got to stay for christmas but hilarious in a way considering politicians never work Christmas and will be crying  while lots of normal people sucked it up and have had to work a few.

I"m sure. But - harper pulled the same thing back in the day when Martin had the minority.  So he can just blow it off as a conservative holiday tradition :)