Why won't Harper open his books?

I saw this brought up on Mike Duffy tonight.

Apparently Harper has never disclosed his leadership campaign contributions from when he ran for the Alliance and CPC campaigns. There where suggestions that a certain American Conservative Think Tank, (the one Harper gave his famous speech to), contributed heavily to get Harper into power.

My question is, If Harper is running on accountability and transparency why is he hiding his books?

Apparently Harper has never disclosed his leadership campaign contributions from when he ran for the Alliance and CPC campaigns. There where suggestions that a certain American Conservative Think Tank, (the one Harper gave his famous speech to), contributed heavily to get Harper into power.

My question is, If Harper is running on accountability and transparency why is he hiding his books?

Because it has nothing to do with this campaign? :huh:

Because it has nothing to do with this campaign? :huh:

no?

Why won't the Liberals say which ridings Chretien fixed in Quebec to buy a majority in the 1997 election?

Here is the CBC link.

Liberals derided it, saying the list was not complete. But Conservatives promised a final tally would be published in December, and would show more of the same.

I think the issue here is politics. The Liberals are going to say that Harper has not listed every single donor even though large donors have been accounted for but smaller ones are not.

Harper's situation is very far from the donors to a Liberal campaign which included many companies enjoying government contracts.

I wouldn't normally link to rabble, but they had a thread I saved on Harper's leadership donations: I'm linking to this as the Toronto Star link no longer works.

http://www.rabble.ca/babble/ultimatebb.php...ic&f=1&t=003227

Harper reveals donor details...

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Individuals contributed 75 per cent of the total $2.67 million Harper collected. The rest came from corporate donations. Harper's campaign said 323 business donors helped bankroll his drive to beat two other candidates.

Harper's donor list stands in stark contrast to more than $12 million Liberal leader Paul Martin raised for his leadership bid against long-shot candidate Sheila Copps, a point Harper hammered home yesterday.

"I gather that Mr. Martin and a few others claimed that I'm somehow funded by some secret cabal of big business," he told supporters.

"What the leadership donations show is that 75 per cent or more of the money that came to me came from (individual) donors, whereas 99 per cent of his money came from big corporations because he has no real, small ordinary Canadians (supporting) him."

Here is the CBC link.
Liberals derided it, saying the list was not complete. But Conservatives promised a final tally would be published in December, and would show more of the same.

I think the issue here is politics. The Liberals are going to say that Harper has not listed every single donor even though large donors have been accounted for but smaller ones are not.

Harper's situation is very far from the donors to a Liberal campaign which included many companies enjoying government contracts.

Agreed.

Here is the CBC link.

Agreed.

So what does that say about the other three "leaders"?

Here is the CBC link.

From the link:

Harper discloses leadership campaign donors

Last Updated Fri, 21 May 2004 13:35:05

How about something more recent?

The CBC link mentions that not all donors were disclosed. Did they disclose all (100%) of the donors after? And if not, than Harper told a half-lie.
Only if the undisclosed donors are signficant. We don't really need to know about everyone who donated $25 to his campaign.

Well, quoted from the cbc article was this "...But Conservatives promised a final tally would be published in December, and would show more of the same.... "

So did this happen...yes or no?...and if it didn't. why wasn't it?

Sparhawk is right. Reveal the major donors (not like he is required to at all or anything, but he did so anyways), but the $25 people, such as myself, probably aren't on the list, nor need they be. The big donors are what matter, and by the way, you won't find Conrad Black on it either.

My question is why in an American extremist conservative group be trying to get Harper in Power? They would obviously want some kind of pay-back for any pre-election financing.

Sparhawk is right. Reveal the major donors (not like he is required to at all or anything, but he did so anyways), but the $25 people, such as myself, probably aren't on the list, nor need they be. The big donors are what matter, and by the way, you won't find Conrad Black on it either.

It seems no one could or would answer my original question if 100% of the donors were listed anywhere for Harper's leadership cmapaign. Well it seems they weren't and some not listed include major donors.

I looked for this info and found it on the Liberal site and as much as I loathe to post any link to the Liberal site, in this case I will because it answers my question.

Link