GTA school board removing all books published pre-2008 (they're offensive)

5 hours ago, suds said:
  1. The President of the Ontario School Board Association has publicly stated that "They (the trustees) make all the decisions regarding all the policies of a school board."

2. It certainly sounds clear to me that it's the trustees that set school district policy and approve reading lists or anything of that nature that are beyond the ministry's list of approved textbooks. Librarians likely have a say but it's the trustees who are ultimately held accountable by the public (and the ministry) and it's only right that they should be.

3. You seem to have this idea that they shouldn't be held accountable. Please explain in more detail if possible.

1. I didn't see that quote.  The excerpt I provided seems to contradict this as it was stated that a committee including one trustee, I think, make the selection.

2. Well the Ministry at least sets the curriculum.

3. Where do you get that?  I am just trying to understand how it works.

At this point, I need something definitive.  Your points are fine but I also have a single example from Durham and a vague article from CBC that are all all over the map.

On 9/20/2023 at 7:18 PM, Michael Hardner said:

1. I didn't see that quote.  The excerpt I provided seems to contradict this as it was stated that a committee including one trustee, I think, make the selection.

2. Well the Ministry at least sets the curriculum.

3. Where do you get that?  I am just trying to understand how it works.

At this point, I need something definitive.  Your points are fine but I also have a single example from Durham and a vague article from CBC that are all all over the map.

If you're looking for something 'definitive' I doubt you're going to find it. The only thing definitive is that the Ministry sets curriculum in the classroom and with the texts used. As demonstrated in this case, the Ministry also has oversight on school board policy. If they hear of some board policy they don't like, they'll ask the board to change it. According to the President of the Ontario Public School Board's Association, the elected trustees make all the decisions regarding all the policies of the school board outside of curriculum. I would have to believe the president of the school board association knows what the hell she's talking about. I also understand the school board's use of committees to enact policy and that these committees (besides the trustees) may have parents, teachers, administrators, school council members, etc. among them for added input. But it has to be that the responsibility for any decision or policy set by these committees lie solely on the shoulders of the elected trustees. Otherwise, how would you have it? Would you prefer to have unelected administrators making these decisions? Every school, every school board, every school district, is different to some degree. One size fits all policies likely wouldn't work so the Ministry allows each school board to set their own. That's it, only my opinion, and nothing more to add. Anyone...  feel free to jump in.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/what-is-a-school-board-trustee-and-why-should-i-vote-for-them-during-the-municipal-elections-1.6104274