I Like Minority Governments

Hey!

Why is everyone in such a big rish to get rid of the minority situation? Sure, I can see it if your a politician looking to rest on your ass for 4 years. But what about voters?

Haven't we seen some pretty positive things since the minorty has been around?

For one, the Liberals have been lees smug than usual. I know its hard for them, but they have been at least ATTEMPTING to appear as if they aren't a dictatorship (a la Chretien).

The most recent budget was the first I can remember that contained tax cuts.

And politicos are being forced to suck on eachother's you-know-whats on a pretty frequent basis to get deals done. I mean, I'm sure Brison likes it, but your typical Jack Layton or Paul Martin types look pretty funny doing the love-in thing.

Isn't it kind of fun seeing these guys dance for US for a change?

Who is with me? Let's keep the minority thing going in perpetuity!!!

I really like the idea of a functioning minority Govt. as well. Since I don't trust any politician, I don't like the idea of one having the power to force his/her ideals on the entire country. All majority Govt.'s do is railroad their own personal agendas through parliament.

Each party has a different demographic that makes up the majority of it's supporters. A minority Govt. is an excellent opportunity for each demographic to have a vioce, so that legislation addresses the needs and concerns of the most people possible.

For many reasons a minority Conservative governmnet offers the best opportunity for the country for the short-term.

It would force the Liberals to take a good hard look at themselves, and bring in a new leader.

It would allow the Conservatives to show what they could do as a government, without the power inherent in a majority.

It would also allow the NDs to influence government the best way it can, by holding the balance of power.

The Liberals never really wanted to make this last parliament work. The opposition reacted in kind and gave them the boot.

Yeah, minority governments would be great if they were a little more functional.
Do you mean "functional" as in a Liberal minority that can function with NDP votes? If you vote NDP, then I can understand why you would want to wag the dog.

But what if Martin gets Tory support in the next parliament?

For one, the Liberals have been lees smug than usual.
No, the Liberals are just more manipulative, and proud of their skills.

----

Canada is a growing, changing country. It is not Sweden or Switzerland or Italy. We cannot have coalitions or a status quo. We must adapt.

I think minority governments are recipes for endless negotiation, endless earth-shaking announcements - but nothing in fact. The previous contract gets renewed by default, pending the new agreement - which never seems to arrive.

One of the weaknesses of our Federal government in general is the ruling party has too much power. That's why people are so scared of a change in power. Canadians are pretty nonrisky people and aren't sure of what a new party might do, but if they had less power once voted in, it would curtail the excesses, like the ones we have heard regarding the Liberals.

For many reasons a minority Conservative governmnet offers the best opportunity for the country for the short-term.

It would force the Liberals to take a good hard look at themselves, and bring in a new leader.

It would allow the Conservatives to show what they could do as a government, without the power inherent in a majority.

It would also allow the NDs to influence government the best way it can, by holding the balance of power.

The Liberals never really wanted to make this last parliament work. The opposition reacted in kind and gave them the boot.

Shoop,

Are you insinuating that the NDPs should hold the balance of power? If I had a choice between Liberal majority and ANY minority I would choose majority just to ensure that the NDP would have LITTLE influence.

Of course, at the present time a Conservative minority with the NDP holding as little seats as possible seems like the best option...)

Do you mean "functional" as in a Liberal minority that can function with NDP votes? If you vote NDP, then I can understand why you would want to wag the dog.

But what if Martin gets Tory support in the next parliament?

No, the Liberals are just more manipulative, and proud of their skills.

----

Canada is a growing, changing country. It is not Sweden or Switzerland or Italy. We cannot have coalitions or a status quo. We must adapt.

I think minority governments are recipes for endless negotiation, endless earth-shaking announcements - but nothing in fact. The previous contract gets renewed by default, pending the new agreement - which never seems to arrive.

Well your right were not Switzerland, or Italy, or even Sweden but what does a coalition government have to do with that? I mean you have claimed on occasion that Canadians will only grow up when we do away with the Queen and call our selves the Federal republic of Canada. Should I inform you that we are not the United States, Russia or Venezuala? Why is it if other countries have something must we suddenly rebuke it?

I realize opinions change over time, its happend to me aswell, but you have previously refered to Canada as being an undemocratic one party state, where opposition to the liberals arises from within the liberal party. At this point in time the only federal opposition we can have to the liberals is through a minority government, and that is better than comming from within the party.

If we must adapt we must do so under the guidance of more than 38% of the popular vote in this country wether the liberals are propped up by the Conservatives or the NDP, or someone else beign propped up entirely, as long as they must maintain support from an outside party we are infact adapting. We are adapting and changing from what has been thirteen years of a minority controlling a majority. For the first time in almost 20 years we had a parliment that required a true majority to pass legilslation, for the first time in almost 20 years any legislation passed was done so with the authoriation stemming from more than 50% of the popular vote.

What it accomplished and what it didn't accomplish have yet to be seen and the full impact to soon to be judged. But when the cards are on the table I am not going to acuse Canada of being a one party undemocratic state and then chastize a multi-party authorization requirement on any legislation to be passed. I would also hope that on January 23rd we will send to Ottawa a governing party that needs authorization from other parties on any potential legislation. I will take this small check on power over an elitist government ruling Canada on the basis of a minority support.