Liberal budget a perfect symbol of who they are

6 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Can't argue with that really, but anyone managing a household budget understands that the bill comes in eventually.  All someone needs to do is present a reasonable alternative and the Liberal government will come toppling down. The Conservatives haven't done that yet, and PP hasn't either, though that doesn't mean he can't.  

But... but... ABORTION RIGHTS! GAY RIGHTS! GUNS! WHITE SUPREMACY!! ?

45 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

No matter who it is.. when you have financial trouble, there are two ways to resolve it. Increase revenue or decrease spending. One has vastly more control over the second and therefore it should be the easier of the two routes. However, in federal governments... they almost always opt for the first. I do not know about Canada but as for the US.. two things could drastically reduce the budget. First, contribute less to the public employee retirement. Second, do away with use-it-or-lose-it grant funding. I could ramble for pages but find that keeping it short keeps the reader from falling asleep.

Well for quite some time canada had the luxury of a low debt to gdp and strong gdp growth due to increasing population and other factors.

So - we had the luxury of simply outgrowing our debt to a degree. We stopped accumulating debt in about 91 ish until about 09 ish, and then were back to balance within a few years of that.  In the meantime our GDP grew rapidly.

So - if you owe 100 bucks and you make 1000 bucks a year - that debt is 10 percent of your income. If you get a 'raise' of 100 dollars per year then in 10 years it's only 5 percent of your income, which is much more affordable. And so on.

Unfortunately trudeau has slaughered that advantage and our debt to GDP is really getting up there.

People are poor. What do you do?

Conservatives

We need to increase productivity through more intensive and targeted post-secondary training and apprenticeships, we need to stop subsidizing unproductive businesses and stop borrowing to fund social programs and subsidies. We also need to reduce the painful delays and expenses on business and industry from an oversized government and overregulation. This will allow us to reduce the number of public servants and cut taxes, which in turn will help increase productivity.

Liberals

We will give them billions of dollars!

The public.

I understood every word of the Liberals' program! They seem very generous! I'll vote for them!

Edited by I am Groot

7 hours ago, CdnFox said:

I would say that with Trudeau down 5.5%, and Poilievre only up 2%, this is more about Trudeau faceplanting than anything remarkable that PP has done.  

17 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

I would say that with Trudeau down 5.5%, and Poilievre only up 2%, this is more about Trudeau faceplanting than anything remarkable that PP has done.  

PPs been going up poll after poll for some time as a trend though. Considering he started off far behind trudeau and now has surpassed him its impressive.

His other approval scores are up as well. Their 'power' metric is also up.

I would never suggest a single poll in isolation is  proiof in and of itself exclusively in between elections but when you add it to the trend - yeah, pp's climbing slowly but steadily. If this trend continues PP will be far ahead of justin before the end of this year.

Just how much and how fast has the Liberal government been increasing its spending? This fast.

Whatever its motives, this federal government is all-in on spending and borrowing. The last year in the fall 2019 fiscal update’s projections – the last pre-COVID projections — was 2024-25. In the 2020 fall update, projected spending for 2024-25 was $9 billion higher than it had been a year earlier. The 2021 budget added another $24 billion, the 2021 fall update $11 billion, the 2022 budget $14 billion, the 2022 fall update another $26 billion and now the 2023 budget adds another $9 billion. That’s a total add-on of an astonishing $93 billion. Projected spending for 2024-25 has been growing roughly $13 billion every six months.

https://financialpost.com/opinion/budget-2023-neither-prudent-nor-fair-to-future-generations

2 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Just how much and how fast has the Liberal government been increasing its spending? This fast.

Whatever its motives, this federal government is all-in on spending and borrowing. The last year in the fall 2019 fiscal update’s projections – the last pre-COVID projections — was 2024-25. In the 2020 fall update, projected spending for 2024-25 was $9 billion higher than it had been a year earlier. The 2021 budget added another $24 billion, the 2021 fall update $11 billion, the 2022 budget $14 billion, the 2022 fall update another $26 billion and now the 2023 budget adds another $9 billion. That’s a total add-on of an astonishing $93 billion. Projected spending for 2024-25 has been growing roughly $13 billion every six months.

https://financialpost.com/opinion/budget-2023-neither-prudent-nor-fair-to-future-generations

It is truly insane. And its' not slowing down - its still speeding up. What's it going to look like in an election year.

The man has borrowed more money than EVERY SINGLE PRIME MINISTER BEFORE HIM COMBINED and THEN some.