Alberta Health Care Premiums Bankrupted Me

I am a young man in Alberta, I moved from Ontario out here to Alberta. There was no jobs in our small town in northern Ontario and it was either be on welfare, or flip burgers for the rest of your life or move. So I moved. I have one Aunt out here who I only met once and my sister. I moved in with my sister and her and I were roomates for a few years. In Ontario there was no charge for health care and we thought the same thing went out here. My sister who was never all the good with her money and was always bankrupt, but she always managed to pay the rent and the groceries, but she had alot of bills a huge one hundreds of dollars for a ambulance fee she had been trying to pay off for years. Anyway my sister got a call from crediters and they were bugging her to pay helath care bills and mys sister did they ask u all these stupid questions how much money you make how much u spend on rent groceries etc, and then whatever you have left they say give it to us. So my sister did and she could not make the rent because of it. That was ok cause even though I was low on money I still had a few hundred dollars in my bank account to cover our rent costs. Then I got a call from crediters about health care again asking me the same things and I told them that I had to cover my roomates side of the bills and they said to guess how much it would be and so I did. Turns out the bills were way higher then I thought, I wrote out some pre dated checks to theses crediters. Then when the bills came in all my money was gone. My sister and I could not pay our rent and got evicted. We moved what things we could take in with a friend who we barley knew to take care of our things until we got out of debt turns out this so called friend was not a friend at all and threw away all our things. Includeding even our dads creamated ashes. My sister moved in with her boyfriend who had a small bachelor pad. He only had enough room for my sister and not me which I could understand. But there I was with a full time job, completely bankrupt with no belongs and no place to live all cause of ALberta health care. I had to call my aunt who I only met once and beg her to come stay with her. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I was crying like a little kid, I felt like such a bum and such a losers like I just threw my whole life away. I don;t think it is fair you should have to go bankrupt and become homeless for health care bills. A helath care system I haven't even used since the late 1980s and never used in Alberta. I still have not been able to replace all the posessions I lost from before. I am a very shy quiet guy I like to spend alot of time alone and my posession keep me happy. Now I am very depressed I don;t have anything anymore. I don;t feel like going out and spend 10 to 15 years trying to get back everythign I once owned. ending up in my 30s just replaceing things. I hope the rest of Canada doesn;t have to pay for health care I hope no one should have to go through that, when a full time job can't pay health care premiums.

• 2 weeks later...

It's about priorities. I don't know the specifics of your situation, but I can guarntee 95% of people that say they can't pay are the same folks that while getting interviewed by the CBC crying about it, have a pack of smokes on table. The other 5% are eligiable for their fees to be waived by the province.

Any full-time job in Alberta is enough to make enough money to get by(even at just slightly above minimum wage, but hardly anyone makes near that, Superstore in my community is hiring at like $13/hr, thats $2080/month and you pay next to no taxes at that level. this is enough for a cheap apartment, food, clothing and insurance).

Sometimes when you find yourself in such debt, a second job is necessary.

The cost is $44/month for an induvidual, and you can get great additional coverage for about $25/month to cover a portion of drugs and ambulance (my secondary plan costs $120 a year and I get pretty much everything covered just fine). Thats 3% of income at a job making $2080/month (wow maybe that GST plan does make since...).

If you are actually so poor that you can't afford anything but rent and kraft dinner, then apply for your premiums to be waived. I've heard of many people getting temporary relief from these premiums in order to get their finances in order.

http://www.health.gov.ab.ca/ahcip/faq/assistance.html

It's sad when people are in these situations, but it really does come down to priorities. Health insurance is definately my first. I'm a university student without loans paying my way myself and I get pay health care and all that every month. Really I just can't see how anyone can't, sorry if that sounds harsh but that is how reality sits with me. Those that choose not to insure themselves, can't come looking for help when they realise they should have to begin with. It's a gamble, and sometimes you lose.

Those that choose not to insure themselves, can't come looking for help when they realise they should have to begin with. It's a gamble, and sometimes you lose.

Healthcare premiums (here in BC) are not an option. You cannot "opt out" of the healthcare system. I got laid off my job (which had coverage) and never realized I had to pay a monthly fee... it simply never occured to me LOL

A year later I got a bill for $1400. I went into the BC Access Centre (where you pay the bill) and said, "I have not been to a doctor or used any healthcare service in that year" -- but I had to pay it anyway. The lady says to me "you have to insure your car don't you?". "Of course", I said, "but I can CHOOSE to park my car, I cannot choose to park my body!"

I was really miffed that I HAD to pay the premiums regardless of whether I wanted healthcare or not.

Those that choose not to insure themselves, can't come looking for help when they realise they should have to begin with. It's a gamble, and sometimes you lose.

Healthcare premiums (here in BC) are not an option. You cannot "opt out" of the healthcare system. I got laid off my job (which had coverage) and never realized I had to pay a monthly fee... it simply never occured to me LOL

A year later I got a bill for $1400. I went into the BC Access Centre (where you pay the bill) and said, "I have not been to a doctor or used any healthcare service in that year" -- but I had to pay it anyway. The lady says to me "you have to insure your car don't you?". "Of course", I said, "but I can CHOOSE to park my car, I cannot choose to park my body!"

I was really miffed that I HAD to pay the premiums regardless of whether I wanted healthcare or not.

Well the whole problem with that is then you get people that don't pay for their insurance, then are the first to complain when they can't get care when they aren't insured, claiming they have some right to it?

If you wanted to forfeit your right to health care, then for sure, it makes sense. But thats quite a risk wouldn't you think?

• 2 weeks later...

If you make less than $22 000.00 a year in Alberta you don't have to pay health premiums. Read the form next time. You have a space to apply for exemption. The onus is on you to apply.

I went to school in Alberta an never had to pay, but yes I did have to apply for my exemption.

People always want to blame someone else for there misfortune. The Alberta culture is one of self reliance so you best get used to pulling up those boot straps. Jobs don't work themselves.

Ultimate Sin what you said is not true. I am an Albertan and anyone who canot afford the Healthcare Premium gets it free, you even get a free phone call to set up the free healthcare. It is also prorated all the way up to the full premium. Try again the free number is 310-0000 ask for Alberta Health and Wellness, and tell them your plight. You will get it free courtesy of the Alberta taxpayer.

You would have also got it whether you paid for it or not. How many other types of insurance can you buy retroactively?

You would have also got it whether you paid for it or not. How many other types of insurance can you buy retroactively?

Your right Wilber. I think its some Canada Health Act clause. They probably can't deny someone services, even though in this case they should. Maybe I'll stop paying, I can't really see any reason why?

It's like not paying taxes until you need government services? Definately a system I like. :blink:

I like the Alberta way on the health care premiums. It gives you a tangible feeling that health care isn't free, no matter how much the Libs and NDP want you to believe its a God-given gift (if Tommy D is God I guess maybe). I know I think twice about the real costs of health care.

Alberta's Provincal income taxes are the lowest in Canada, but they still have to pay Health Care Premiums, or a "Health Tax". Don't make much sense really, they should just get rid of the premium's and add it in with personal income taxes. Either way you still pay, having them included with income taxes is alot simpler.

It is used as a poor tax. $44/mo is nothing on a $50k/yr salary, but it puts a dent in a $25k salary.

Totally against smoking. but i think ur experience of all people who whine are smokers is more of an anomaly. most people i know that make $25k/yr are non-smokers. but you were probably not trying to make that connection.

my point was that it is much harder for someone with little money to pay for than someone with lots. I have never seen an example of a trickle down economy that did not make the richer richer and poor poorer regardless of work ethic (most people i know who are poor are hard workers...way more so than me)

have you ever tried to live of $15k take home? my first year here, i lived off $12k just to see what the max i could save was...most people would find that tough as they have wants, i was lucky enough to not. rent is probably $200 higher per month now as well.

I also wonder how many poor people know that AB will cover the payments. When i first got here and saw these, i did not pay them for 6 months (i moved shortly after getting my drivers and did not change my address until i had a permanent place) and when i got a bill after 6 months, there was no mention of assistance (that was 10 years ago mind you).

No...$300/month for smokes puts a dent in $25k/yr. $44/month = 5 packs of smokes. I have an absolute ton of guys working for me that whine about it. AND THEY ALL SMOKE!

Alberta pays almost everything for those that cannot afford. I know, my tax dollars pay for it all!

Mable, I was not attempting to make that connection and thank you for that. I spent a lot of years at the bottom of the income ladder, and I too got the $1400 suprise. I paid it because I didn't know that I could get out of it. My point was simply that, IN MY EXPERIENCE, a hell of a lot of "low income earners" blow a wad of cash on unnecessary things, and then whine about the mandatory ones. I was one of these. People by group cannot absolutely be stereotyped, but trends can be established. The $44/month is not punitive. That being said, I think that Alberta SHOULD get rid of it, but under controlled circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Alberta's Provincal income taxes are the lowest in Canada, but they still have to pay Health Care Premiums, or a "Health Tax". Don't make much sense really, they should just get rid of the premium's and add it in with personal income taxes. Either way you still pay, having them included with income taxes is alot simpler.

True. However I think that a healthcare premium is a good thing. It reminds people that healthcare is NOT "free". I run into many people who run to the doctor for the flu...or take their child to the doctor because the kid fell down and scraped its knee.

Things like that are a gross waste of money when the healthcare system is a bloated bureaucracy.

A healthcare premium reminds ppl that there is a big cost for doctors and nurses. Something perceived to be "free" is always abused.