Did you ever hear anything on the Immigration front?

I heard the US was going to "temporarily suspend"  their immigration program to reduce the risk of COVID infections and leave more jobs for the jobless Americans.

I never heard anything about what is being done in Canada.  Are those planes with immigrants and temp workers keep on coming?

300,000 immigrants is like 1,000/day that need to land at our airports.    And this with all travel bans and restrictions and of course the 25% unemployment we see these days.

Is this insanity still happening?

Edited by cougar

As far as I know Canada is still getting about 1,000 new immigrants trotting off the planes every day. Nothing short of the end of the world is going to stop the Liberals from bringing in as many immigrants as possible. They've already announced they're raising levels to 390,000. That's more than 1% of the population. Given Canada already has one of the highest ratios of foreign born people in the world, that will likely make Canadian born people a minority within 20-25 years. At that point our fate will be in the hands of people who largely come from undemocratic backgrounds and corrupt societies and who will be largely non-integrated. What they choose to do and what laws they choose to make will be up to them.

Edited by Argus

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/04/canada-is-sending-the-right-immigration-signals-to-the-world-0414110.html

Canada may be the most open country on the planet right now.

Countries around the world have shut their borders, closed their airports, and imposed lockdowns to fight the deadly coronavirus.

Canada, too, has implemented such emergency measures.

But, it is also seeking to strike a balance between containing COVID-19 while enabling global talent and foreign nationals into the country. This is due to Canada’s recognition that newcomers are part of the solution to supporting its economy during this challenging period, as well as the country’s unwavering commitment to reuniting family members even in the wake of its travel restrictions.

Canada doing everything it can to accommodate immigrants

On March 16, 2020, Canada unveiled special immigration measures related to the coronavirus pandemic.

The most notable measure was the decision to restrict travel into the country until June 30th, although several major exceptions were made.

For instance, Canada has stated that no immigration application will be refused due to incomplete documentation. Rather, the federal government will provide applicants with more time to obtain their documents before it makes a decision on their application.

...Nonetheless, Canada is doing its best to adapt which is sending the right signals to foreign nationals around the world.

That is: we will do everything we can to accommodate your immigration goals and help you during this period of need.

23 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Countries around the world have shut their borders, closed their airports, and imposed lockdowns to fight the deadly coronavirus.

Canada, too, has implemented such emergency measures.

But, it is also seeking to strike a balance between containing COVID-19 while enabling global talent and foreign nationals into the country.

We're enabling global talent into our country when everyone else isn't, we're getting the pick of the crop IOW? Sounds good to me.

Notwithstanding the obvious humane reasons for allowing the best talented people from joining or bringing their parents or grandparents with them I think we can count on the benefits of their talents will over-time more than offset whatever start-up costs or accommodation we're granting them.

Edited by eyeball

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

We're enabling global talent into our country when everyone else isn't, we're getting the pick of the crop IOW? Sounds good to me.

Notwithstanding the obvious humane reasons for allowing the best talented people from joining or bringing their parents or grandparents with them I think we can count on the benefits of their talents will over-time more than offset whatever start-up costs or accommodation we're granting them.

I don't think it's humane to let people from other countries into our country who may be carrying the virus during a state of emergency.  Self-quarantine isn't effective if you're living with other people or in a building where other people live, need to go get groceries etc.  It also isn't monitored by anyone unless you're in forced lockdown in a military base like some travelers were, which IMO should be mandatory for all travelers at this point.

Is it worth risking Canadian lives to poach the most skilled/talented immigrants?  We should let in the ones that are necessary, like medical professionals etc, those needed in food production etc.  I think the people let in should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis based on need, especially with our economy the way it is and unemployment sky-high.

The parent/grandparent reunification program has been halted thankfully.  For obvious reasons.

The refugee program has been halted, no hearings taking place.  So claimants in Canada already in the process currently just get to chillax while using up government benefits like free health care.

18 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I don't think it's humane to let people from other countries into our country who may be carrying the virus during a state of emergency.  Self-quarantine isn't effective if you're living with other people or in a building where other people live, need to go get groceries etc.  It also isn't monitored by anyone unless you're in forced lockdown in a military base like some travelers were, which IMO should be mandatory for all travelers at this point.

Is it worth risking Canadian lives to poach the most skilled/talented immigrants?  We should let in the ones that are necessary, like medical professionals etc, those needed in food production etc.  I think the people let in should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis based on need, especially with our economy the way it is and unemployment sky-high.

I can see keeping the talented immigrants we need right away (plus their families) in quarantine for the required amount of time.

I'm convinced banning anything from coming across our border is the right thing to do so long as we're serious about it. By serious though I mean...turn around or...

U.S. moving Patriot missile battery to Mideast | Nation & World ...

...as opposed to what we've seen to date which is no better thanThin Slice Of Swiss Cheese Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free ...at 

• Like 1