People Hate the Truth

I see so many examples of people parroting things that they have to know aren't true ("Dr Ford is a credible accuser", "walls are racist", "walls are more expensive and less effective than a combination of drones and other means of surveillance and capture", "it's too early to say that the guy who yelled praises to allah while he was running people over in a van was an islamic terrorist, but this is just more proof that we need more gun control", "right wingers are the biggest terrorist threat in the world", etc), and I constantly see people who just won't own up when they are caught lying, or who try to use accusations to stop people from telling the truth.

It's often said that polite public discourse is dead, but honestly it doesn't stand a chance in an age where lying is considered to be no big deal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

I constantly see people who just won't own up when they are caught lying, or who try to use accusations to stop people from telling the truth.

Ah, you must have been following the thread on Trump, tariffs and his abject ignorance thereof.

44 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Ah, you must have been following the thread on Trump, tariffs and his abject ignorance thereof.

Nope. I'm talking about people down at our level who keep repeating obvious lies that they hear on the news, or from politicians. And people who shut down polite, factual discussions with misplaced accusations because they don't like the truths that are coming out.

18 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Nope. I'm talking about people down at our level who keep repeating obvious lies that they hear on the news, or from politicians. And people who shut down polite, factual discussions with misplaced accusations because they don't like the truths that are coming out.

I was talking about weasels.

The real problem is not mealy mouths as much as mealy ears, deliberately hearing something other than what was said or inserting your own shit in between the lines. The precursors to moving goalposts, talking about something else, pretending you don't know wtf people mean.  Its really pathetic.  Its deceitful as all shit but there's really nothing very cunning about it.

Eyeball, I wasn't really talking about people who are:

talking about something else, pretending you don't know wtf people mean.  Its really pathetic.  Its deceitful as all shit but there's really nothing very cunning about it.

I was talking about people who quote CNN and the Dems on here and are nailing the CNN talking points perfectly. They aren't getting it wrong at all, and they're not inserting their own commentary to try to make sense of things, or cover CNN's tracks. They're talking as if they believe what they're saying.

For example, Dr Ford's testimony was a joke. She didn't remember where or what year it happened, she named witnesses who never heard of her story, she made claims like "I didn't know that the Republicans offered to fly out here to hear my testimony and my lawyers never told me", etc. When enough information was out there that every sane human knew her testimony was utter garbage people were still defending it, and even going on the attack by saying that anyone who didn't march in lock step with them was a misogynist. 

It's weird that people have the intellectual capacity to understand one side of an argument and debate it's merits just like the people who they're imitating, even though a small child could see that they're completely full of crap. 

21 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

I was talking about people who quote CNN and the Dems on here and are nailing the CNN talking points perfectly. They aren't getting it wrong at all, and they're not inserting their own commentary to try to make sense of things, or cover CNN's tracks. They're talking as if they believe what they're saying.

That's because they are advocating for their desired outcome by speaking truth to power, a well known non-violent political philosophy and tactic.  Regardless of the specific facts or legal relevance, they want a certain outcome and will do anything in public and private discourse to achieve it,  even if it means destroying the reputations of others, as theirs is a higher cause.

PBS' Frontline has an excellent episode about the politicization of U.S. Supreme Court justice confirmations since Clarence Thomas, wherein stopping conservative or liberal leaning justices has become blood sport.   Judge Kavanaugh was going to be attacked by any means necessary, "truth" be damned.  But the Democrats overplayed their methods, with too many obvious liars.

Most of the time the Power already knows the Truth, it just doesn't give a damn.   So all is fair in these political wars...no rules.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's because they are advocating for their desired outcome by speaking truth to power, a well known non-violent political philosophy and tactic.  Regardless of the specific facts or legal relevance, they want a certain outcome and will do anything in public and private discourse to achieve it,  even if it means destroying the reputations of others, as theirs is a higher cause.

PBS' Frontline has an excellent episode about the politicization of U.S. Supreme Court justice confirmations since Clarence Thomas, wherein stopping conservative or liberal leaning justices has become blood sport.   Judge Kavanaugh was going to be attacked by any means necessary, "truth" be damned.  But the Democrats overplayed their methods, with too many obvious liars.

Most of the time the Power already knows the Truth, it just doesn't give a damn.   So all is fair in these political wars...no rules.

I thought that when people were speaking truth to power they were supposed to be trying to get the government to be more truthful, ethcial and honest, not just making up things and screaming them at other people. 

5 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

I thought that when people were speaking truth to power they were supposed to be trying to get the government to be more truthful, ethcial and honest, not just making up things and screaming them at other people. 

Government or not, they believe their truth as the means to an end, regardless of the facts on the ground.