Time to Ban AirBNB - It's creating a housing crisis

This is where the problem lies with Airbnb misuse:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/biggest-airbnb-hosts-canada-corporations-1.5116103

Who's behind the smiling faces of some Airbnb hosts? Multimillion-dollar corporations

But while Airbnb promotes itself as a darling of the sharing economy, touting stays in real people's homes and relationships with personable hosts, its biggest players in Canada are actually — and sometimes secretly — multimillion-dollar for-profit corporations, a CBC News data analysis found.

It's a far cry from co-founder and CEO Brian Chesky's vision of "ordinary people" becoming micro-entrepreneurs and earning a little extra income to help them make their own rent.

Airbnb did not suggest that anyone CBC News spoke to was violating its terms of service, though some jurisdictions restrict multiple listings under local regulations.

Aouad said the company has been cutting back on its tourist offerings to focus on longer-term business bookings, and added that his company's image was suffering from the noise complaints and neighbours' gripes associated with many Airbnbs.

Communities  Personable biographies or even fake photos obscure the operations of big businesses

I just had time to read the latest posts. I have no problem with the criticism being levelled at "non ordinary" people like Eyeball. If there are some big players not playing fair then yes that has to be dealt with I concede that I just don't think ordinary home owners like Eyeball should be penalized. When I say Eyeball I of course mean all Eyeballs, all people like him doing this. They are just ordinary people trying to survive and should not be penalized. Nothing they are doing is unethical or harming anyone. They offer a good alternative for some to hotels.  I get the criticism though raised by G nd J in the last two posts. That is a distinct issue and its serious yes.

I am quite happy with AIRBNB and I hope they expand and grow as I am using them often when I travel and they provide good accommodation at very reasonable prices. I can see some may be unhappy with AIRBNB as they are a punch in the face of big corporations like hotel chains as they are not able to gouge the prices. I get twice the size of a hotel room and twice the comfort and at half the price. It is the big hotels gouging prices which should be banned not AIRBNB.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:10 PM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

I am quite happy with AIRBNB and I hope they expand and grow as I am using them often when I travel and they provide good accommodation at very reasonable prices. I can see some may be unhappy with AIRBNB as they are a punch in the face of big corporations like hotel chains as they are not able to gouge the prices. I get twice the size of a hotel room and twice the comfort and at half the price. It is the big hotels gouging prices which should be banned not AIRBNB.

The problem here is the whole shared economy. Once we get into that, we are no longer willing to pay the high prices for some services. However that also means that many of these services are at risk and can have an impact on the local economy. Uber and Lyft, are lower costs than taxis, but those Uber and Lyft drivers are not compensated enough, nor (for the most part). Skip the Dishes and the like also fit into that line. AirBnB , same thing, everyone is an exploited contractor to the corp.

Also how much should they expand ? and what will that mean for overall availability of long term rental or even being able to buy a home.  The problem with much of the operators are acting just like those big hotel chains you despise.

AirBnB should cater to actual real bed and breakfast stays with real hosts.

2 hours ago, GostHacked said:

The problem here is the whole shared economy. Once we get into that, we are no longer willing to pay the high prices for some services.

Awwwwwwww ... lol 

New cheaper ways of doing things always piss off the more expensive old ways. That's just progress that allows more people more affordable options. 

I think hotel workers and cab drivers are pretty exploited too.

It's up to municipalities to regulate short term rentals. The creepy developers with many listings taking advantage of Airbnb are the problem, and are being addressed in some cities. 

If you provide meals to guests - ie, bed and BREAKFAST - you have to have kitchen inspections, etc. Most homeowners just renting a couple of rooms now and then don't want to bother with that.

They do provide a welcome and affordable option. 

14 hours ago, jacee said:

Awwwwwwww ... lol 

New cheaper ways of doing things always piss off the more expensive old ways. That's just progress that allows more people more affordable options. 

But that's the thing. AirBNB's business model is detracting from the affordable housing and availability market. If you can even afford to rent long term, your selection due to the high amount of STRs are limited.

I think hotel workers and cab drivers are pretty exploited too.

Oh for sure, so let's fix that instead of more exploitation.

I was listening on the news were Uber drivers are expected to stage a one day protest by shutting off the app. They are protesting the low wages and no benefits while the company is about to go public for trading.  Exploitation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/uber-lyft-strike-us-1.5127421

Some drivers for ride-hailing giants Uber and Lyft turned off their apps to protest what they say are declining wages at a time when both companies are raking in billions of dollars from investors.

Demonstrations took place Wednesday in 10 U.S. cities, including Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Washington, as well as some European locations like London. But they did not seem to cause much disruption and many riders were still able to hail a car with ease.

The protests arrived just ahead of Uber's initial public stock offering, which is planned for Friday. Uber hopes to raise $9 billion US and is expected to be valued at up to $91.5 billion.

It's not the first time drivers for ride-hailing apps have staged protests. Strikes were planned in several cities ahead of Lyft's IPO last month, although the disruption to riders appeared to be minimal. More cities are participating in Wednesday's protest, however.

It's up to municipalities to regulate short term rentals. The creepy developers with many listings taking advantage of Airbnb are the problem, and are being addressed in some cities.

If you provide meals to guests - ie, bed and BREAKFAST - you have to have kitchen inspections, etc. Most homeowners just renting a couple of rooms now and then don't want to bother with that.

They do provide a welcome and affordable option. 

Yes it is up to the city to regulate, but how do you regulate something that is flying so low under the radar?

10 hours ago, GostHacked said:

But that's the thing. AirBNB's business model is detracting from the affordable housing and availability market. If you can even afford to rent long term, your selection due to the high amount of STRs are limited

That concern arises from the thousands of developers and realtors abusing Airbnb by purchasing or building many units or condos to use as Airbnb STR's. Cities are trying to regulate that by e.g. limiting STR's to e.g. 20% of condo units in a development. 

Just because developers and realtors are abusing Airbnb is no reason to "ban" Airbnb! 

Many people, including seniors, Airbnb a few rooms in their house because it helps them afford to stay in their house, and make use of extra rooms when not needed for family or personal guests. They shouldn't be punished because developers and realtors are abusing the Airbnb system.

12 hours ago, jacee said:

That concern arises from the thousands of developers and realtors abusing Airbnb by purchasing or building many units or condos to use as Airbnb STR's. Cities are trying to regulate that by e.g. limiting STR's to e.g. 20% of condo units in a development. 

Just because developers and realtors are abusing Airbnb is no reason to "ban" Airbnb! 

Many people, including seniors, Airbnb a few rooms in their house because it helps them afford to stay in their house, and make use of extra rooms when not needed for family or personal guests. They shouldn't be punished because developers and realtors are abusing the Airbnb system.

When it comes to the decrease of availability of affordable housing, I'd ban them buy lunch today.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:08 PM, Rue said:

I just had time to read the latest posts. I have no problem with the criticism being levelled at "non ordinary" people UNLIKE  Eyeball. If there are some big players not playing fair then yes that has to be dealt with I concede that I just don't think ordinary home owners like Eyeball should be penalized. When I say Eyeball I of course mean all Eyeballs, all people like him doing this. They are just ordinary people trying to survive and should not be penalized. Nothing they are doing is unethical or harming anyone. They offer a good alternative for some to hotels.  I get the criticism though raised by G nd J in the last two posts. That is a distinct issue and its serious yes.

2 hours ago, GostHacked said:

When it comes to the decrease of availability of affordable housing, I'd ban them buy lunch today.

Why not just root out the scofflaws and shut them down? Why all of them?

This doesn't make sense.There must be some other reason motivating you.  Do you own a resort or a hotel or something?

Edited by eyeball

18 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Why not just root out the scofflaws and shut them down? Why all of them?

This doesn't make sense.There must be some other reason motivating you.  Do you own a resort or a hotel or something?

No. My reasons for banning them are multiple,  and I have laid them out here clear enough.

Does banning AirBnB affect your business,  why and how? 

What are your views on a small number of people /corps owning the majority of STRs via AirBnB?

What are your other options for advertising your place? And if you advertise with AirBNB , how much does that cost you?

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

No. My reasons for banning them are multiple,  and I have laid them out here clear enough.

I've seen justification for shutting down unscrupulous operators but not scrupulous ones.

Not really, I'd have to switch to another hosting platform is all. Is there any reason to think people won't try to ban them for the same reason? I can almost guarantee the affordable housing problem will still be there.

What are your views on a small number of people /corps owning the majority of STRs via AirBnB?

Shut them down if that's the case. Break up AirBnb into pieces of need be. You should know me well enough to know I'm for regulating big corporations. Just don't throw out the babies too.

What are your other options for advertising your place? And if you advertise with AirBNB , how much does that cost you?

Other hosting platforms for 1. But if you just shut down the entire business model I'll be looking to shut down all sorts of other business models that force us to become the economic sociopath you think I am.

How does the adage go, there's nothing harder than convincing someone they're doing something wrong when their livelihood depends on it.

I saw that when I was forced out of logging, fishing, environmental works, whale watchers are in people's sights and now this. I'm almost getting used to it.

8 hours ago, GostHacked said:

You have provided no evidence of that. 

Ban the predatory developers and realtors.

But what I do with my own rooms is not your business.

Edited by jacee

5 hours ago, GostHacked said:

Do your own research.

Edited by jacee

10 hours ago, GostHacked said:

I'd ban it too.  I'd ban Uber as well.

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I don't want to ban capitalism.  Just stuff I don't like.

That requires regulations so, check on that, I guess. But why ban just these two?  I still don't think we're getting a clear picture of what it is precisely that people want banned, who they are or what it is that they do?  Like I said there's lots of things going on in the economy that I'd love to see banned too but how?  You pretty much have to criminalize things to stop or stamp them out.

Are you prepared to basically re-engineer and control the economy so its socially gentler?

Get in line pal, and don't get me started on why we should be thinking along these same lines with regards to the environment.

Edited by eyeball

22 minutes ago, eyeball said:

That requires regulations so, check on that, I guess. But why ban just these two?  I still don't think we're getting a clear picture of what it is precisely that people want banned, who they are or what it is that they do?  Like I said there's lots of things going on in the economy that I'd love to see banned too but how?  You pretty much have to criminalize things to stop or stamp them out.

Are you prepared to basically re-engineer and control the economy so its socially gentler?

Get in line pal, and don't get me started on why we should be thinking along these same lines with regards to the environment.

Oh absolutely.  I'd ban Monsanto for sure.  And all recreational use of fossil fuels and all single use plastic. I'd also ban anything that turns your thermostat up when you ask it to, and pretty much all social media.  I could really get enthusiastic about it if they actually let me do it.

44 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Oh absolutely.  I'd ban Monsanto for sure.  And all recreational use of fossil fuels and all single use plastic. I'd also ban anything that turns your thermostat up when you ask it to, and pretty much all social media.  I could really get enthusiastic about it if they actually let me do it.

:lol: Comrade!

That's what I usually get when I talk that way.

Good thing my wood stove isn't connected to anything.  Of course you'd probably have drones out sniffing around for CO2 emissions....along with taxis and STR's.  

23 hours ago, eyeball said:

:lol: Comrade!

That's what I usually get when I talk that way.

Good thing my wood stove isn't connected to anything.  Of course you'd probably have drones out sniffing around for CO2 emissions....along with taxis and STR's.  

I'd ban recreational use of drones.

38 minutes ago, eyeball said:

But not the government's?  Com-rad!

Never imagined I'd be playing role of a corporate apologist but then look at the strange place you're in.

Military and industrial use is okay, but letting some tit fly one into the cockpit of a landing 747 is not.