Jane Philpott resigns

Holy crap... just promoted to head of Treasury Board to replace Scott Brison...

"It grieves me to resign from a portfolio where I was at work to deliver an important mandate. I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities, constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them."

Edited by Argus
  • Like 3

Fuller statement where she makes it clear this is about SNC Lavlin

Philpott said the principles that maintain an independent justice system are at stake in the SNC-Lavalin affair. A fundamental doctrine of the rule of law is that the attorney general not be subjected to political pressure or interference regarding the exercise of prosecutorial discretion in criminal cases.

"Sadly, I have lost confidence in how the government has dealt with this matter and in how it has responded to the issues raised," Philpott said in the statement.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/philpott-resignation-trudeau-snc-lavalin-1.5042411

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

Fuller statement where she makes it clear this is about SNC Lavlin

Philpott said the principles that maintain an independent justice system are at stake in the SNC-Lavalin affair. A fundamental doctrine of the rule of law is that the attorney general not be subjected to political pressure or interference regarding the exercise of prosecutorial discretion in criminal cases.

"Sadly, I have lost confidence in how the government has dealt with this matter and in how it has responded to the issues raised," Philpott said in the statement.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/philpott-resignation-trudeau-snc-lavalin-1.5042411

I particularly applaud her - being the first of the one's who've left - for stating clearly that she has lost confidence in the government.

Edited by mowich
  • Like 1

So are we going to see an emerging rivalry within Trudeau's caucus now, perhaps centred around Philpott and Wilson-Raybould? Are a group of women going to give Mr. Feminist the boot?

Twitter statement from Liberal MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes...

When you add women, please do not expect the status quo. Expect us to make correct decisions, stand for what is right and exit when values are compromised. Thank you @janephilpott for articulating this beautifully.

Edited by Argus

Just now, PIK said:

Time for the GG to step in and end it. 

That would be nice but we're a long way from that. Trudeau still commands the vast majority of his caucus and has a large majority. No crime has been assigned him. The RCMP haven't even said they'll investigate this for criminality. The only way Trudeau goes is if this spread through his caucus.

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

That would be nice but we're a long way from that. Trudeau still commands the vast majority of his caucus and has a large majority. No crime has been assigned him. The RCMP haven't even said they'll investigate this for criminality. The only way Trudeau goes is if this spread through his caucus.

Any bets on who is next Argus...........because I'll lay you even odds that this is just the start of more defections. 

2 minutes ago, PIK said:

Time for the GG to step in and end it. 

She would never do that.  if the party had any brains they would move into damage control now and ask Trudeau to step aside   

Kudos to Philpott for showing integrity...who is next

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Argus said:

So are we going to see an emerging rivalry within Trudeau's caucus now, perhaps centred around Philpott and Wilson-Raybould? Are a group of women going to give Mr. Feminist the boot?

Rumor has it JT is a fake feminist;  after the dust settles, does JT still have enough MPs to assemble a functionable 50/50,  minority inclusion, provisional balance cabinet?

Edited by egghead
  • Like 1

Trudeau needs to work on gender parity in resignations

Philpott is a good friend of Raybould.   Looking at everything Jody  Raybould  has done up to now points to her gunning for JT's job..
She's running in the next election and she is building her rand which wil beat Trudeau's and Scheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Twitter statement from Liberal MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes...

When you add women, please do not expect the status quo. Expect us to make correct decisions, stand for what is right and exit when values are compromised. Thank you @janephilpott for articulating this beautifully.

Trudeau is in deep shit all kidding aside. He's caused a real split in his cabinet which has burst out in the open. He has lost control of his caucus.

Look its not rocket science. The Liberals know if Trudeau quit and Jody was crowned Liberal leader, she could ride them into a majority win based on what she did.

That is what many think is the preferable outcome to going down with Justin, Seamus and Billy Boy Morneau.

I would say Scott Brison saw this coming and ran.

If this continues another week you will have an out and out splinter party emerge.

If I am the NDP and Tories I would just be sitting back enjoying the Liberal melt down.

Help me I'm melting....Jody or is that Dorothy sprinkled water on Justin.

Now the Flying Monkeys need a new leader.

We have no Scarecrow. Jagmeet is a Klingon who hates violence and Mr. Shneer no offence comes off as the Tin Man or Mr. Rogers or Darren from Bewitched.

I think at this point we need to bring in Celine Dion as PM.

Edited by Rue

3 minutes ago, Rue said:

Well not Seamus and Bill. They are tight with Justin. Real tight.

I'm wondering, in spite of her show of support last week, if Freeland may not be having second thoughts.  She's a smart cookie and can see which way the wind is blowing.  If there is indeed a crisis in cabinet and after such a high-profile resignation based on a principled stand, those left standing with their leader could very well fall with him too and for such a shameful reason.

6 minutes ago, Rue said:

Trudeau is in deep shit all kidding aside. He's caused a real split in his cabinet which has burst out in the open. He has lost control of his caucus.

Look its not rocket science. The Liberals know if Trudeau quit and Jody was crowned Liberal leader, she could ride them into a majority win based on what she did.

That is what many think is the preferable outcome to going down with Justin, Seamus and Billy Boy Morneau.

I would say Scott Brison saw this coming and ran.

If this continues another week you will have an out and out splinter party emerge.

If I am the NDP and Tories I would just be sitting back enjoying the Liberal melt down.

Help me I'm melting....Jody or is that Dorothy sprinkled water on Justin.

Now the Flying Monkeys need a new leader.

We have no Scarecrow. Jagmeet is a Klingon who hates violence and Mr. Shneer no offence comes off as the Tin Man or Mr. Rogers or Darren from Bewitched.

I think at this point we need to bring in Celine Dion as PM.

The party would be much further ahead to have Jane Philpott run as leader.  She has much more experience in a variety of other portfolios than the other women so far. 

As for Brison, several political pundits have opined that Scottie had to go due to his involvement in the Admiral Norman affair and should it come to it - the little potato did not want to see one of his ministers testifying. 

Edited by mowich
add somethin
  • Like 1

There is much being said on Power Play today about the non-partisanship of many of the cabinet members.  This is important as nonpartisans are much less likely to tow the party line  - in other words they have no years long loyalty to the party.  They were told that all their decisions would be with consensus of cabinet but now are seeing that the only consensus between jt and himself. 

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Perhaps I am skeptical, but I don't think any of this is going to stick to Trudeau, or for that matter any politician....not that I take the polls as gospel, but only 1 in 4 liberals think Trudeau should leave...

And 90% of Republicans are happy with Trump.

But this thing strikes to the heart of his phony persona as Mr.-Open-and-Honest-New-Guy-Who-Is-An-Uber-Feminist-And-Will-Do-Things-Different. And that persona is a big part of his power.