Ford government not off to good start

Several issues have emerged to suggest that the Ford government is less prudent than many might have expected would be the case: 1.) The fiasco over French language services indicates that Ford isn't one to ponder the implications of impetuously made decisions. 2.) His government's pot implementation plan has been clumsy and has done little other than keep the illegal market humming along. 3.) Yesterday, Toronto's city council proposed a massive raise to office budgets to compensate for the reduction in council's size mandated by Ford's government, thus wiping out most if not all the savings Ford touted. This was as predicable as cold winter weather in the Arctic. 4.) Criticism of the process for choosing a new OPP head honcho suggests that Ford doesn't understand the reasonable limits applicable to running a provincial government in a jurisdiction with 14 million people. Did the risk of an appearance of a conflict of interest never occur to him? 5.) And then, this morning, I read that Hydro One's attempted purchase of an American utility has been rejected by a state regulator on grounds of political interference in the corporation's affairs. Among other concerns, Ford got rid of the 6 million dollar man but now, reportedly, Hydro One and presumably its ratepayers are on the hook for a penalty amounting to well over 100 million. Was such an outcome never considered?

Come on Doug, you're going to have to realize that you're not running a fiefdom here. Gut decisions can have very real and sometimes negative consequences.

Edited by turningrite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boges said:

None of these things bother me. 

Trying to fix mistakes of previous governments costs money. Should Ford do nothing because there are costs to making changes by the wrong-headed Wynne government? 

As if Wynne's CCBO plan would have done any better. 

So, you believe in the proposition that two wrongs make a right? Hmmm...

I'm skeptical of all governments, left, right and centre. If we don't hold all politicians accountable in real time we get bad government, whatever the ideological preferences of our leaders.

Edited by turningrite

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Apparently the sex-ed consultation hasn't gone Ford's way.  This man's political sense begins and ends at the outraged few mouth-breathers who would vote for him regardless.

Well, to be fair, at least Ford's government consulted Ontarians on the issue. The problem with ideologues is that they too often interpret their own preferences as being consistent with the public mood and, bolstered by the influence of special interests, are resistant to changing course when this turns out not to be the case. We'll see what Ford's government does here. Will it allow special interests, and particularly religionists and social conservatives, to dictate public policy or will it accede to the broader public preference for an updated and modern sex-ed curriculum? If the latter case wins out, we'll have to give Ford's crew some credit. We saw when Harper was in power that narrow interests and perceptions too often won out, as illustrated by the decision to cancel the long-form census because a few people had apparently indicated their disapproval of it to influential people within Harper's circle. And we see that Trudeau still spouts platitudes about supposedly widespread public support for his government's immigration policies when polling indicates this isn't actually the case. Who needs facts when blind certainty will do?  

Edited by turningrite

• 4 months later...
On 12/17/2018 at 9:26 PM, Michael Hardner said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-sex-ed-consultations-1.4949832

Apparently the sex-ed consultation hasn't gone Ford's way.  This man's political sense begins and ends at the outraged few mouth-breathers who would vote for him regardless.

Yeah, unlike the outraged closet pedo's all upset over the scrapping of a sex-ed curriculum that was drafted by a now convicted pedophile. I guess the concept of guilt by association only applies to the right. You know, like how Scheer is a White nationalist because he didn't get all self-flagellating and self-aggrandizing about White nationalists.

24 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's not context, it's mania.

Just don't post insane bullshit please, thanks.

Oh wait, let me guess. You think I'm a Conservative because you stupidly assume I'm a conservative, right? For the record, I support sex-ed. What I don't support is a bunch of whiny leftists who constantly play the guilt by association game acting like there's nothing wrong with a pedophile drafting up a sex-ed curriculum. Do you get it yet or should I just bust out the crayons and draw you a nice simple picture? Are you a liberal or a leftist? I gotta know so I know whether or not I need to dumb things down for you.