Belinda: hussy harlot or Smart Sister?

Of course we all heard about Belinda. Some call it disloyalty, some call it political smarts others don't give a damn.

Personally, i admire Belinda for her courage and smarts in crossing the floor. She was exasperated by Harper's attitude (and if i may say so, his utter stupidity) and she believed that the Conservative party had failed her. I know many disagree with my statement but may i say that if Belinda was a man, she would not have received the insults and vulgar comment that she was "sleeping" her way to the top. She would have been called atraitor, but would it would have been accepted that she was just playing her cards correctly. i personally beleive that if Harper were to resign, that Belinda would be a strong candidate and leader. But that's jsut me. What do you think? <_<

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course we all heard about Belinda. Some call it disloyalty, some call it political smarts others don't give a damn.

Personally, i admire Belinda for her courage and smarts in crossing the floor. She was exasperated by Harper's attitude (and if i may say so, his utter stupidity) and she believed that the Conservative party had failed her. I know many disagree with my statement but may i say that if Belinda was a man, she would not have received the insults and vulgar comment that she was "sleeping" her way to the top. She would have been called atraitor, but would it would have been accepted that she was just playing her cards correctly. i personally beleive that if Harper were to resign, that Belinda would be a strong candidate and leader. But that's jsut me. What do you think? <_<

I don't recall anybody accusing her of "sleeping her way to the top".

There might be something to the argument that there was gender bias in some of the comments made about her, however I think the main accusation made against her has been that she acted out of opportunism and ambition, not principle as she claimed.

-k

[sorry please let me clarify. Here in Conservative Alberta and living in a very conservative area, many believe that belinda is a common porstitute because of her decision. its a comment that in my opinion, is brought on because some men (or some women, they aren't innocent either) can't come up with anything more intelligent. Many local politicians and people writing to the local newspaper accuse her of this.

Personally, i admire Belinda for her courage and smarts in crossing the floor.
You find unprincipaled disloyalty an admirable trait, do you?
She was exasperated by Harper's attitude (and if i may say so, his utter stupidity) and she believed that the Conservative party had failed her.

Yeah, well, how can you blame her? I mean, she gave them her entire political carreer, like, a year or so, right, and they still hadn't realized tha she knew better than any of them and should be leader.

I know many disagree with my statement but may i say that if Belinda was a man, she would not have received the insults and vulgar comment that she was "sleeping" her way to the top.
I don't believe any male politicians have been found to have been sleeping with their party's deputy leader. But if we did find a relative political novice with notorious lust for power sleeping with the number two, uhm, woman in his party, I think the accusation would appear.
She would have been called atraitor, but would it would have been accepted that she was just playing her cards correctly. i personally beleive that if Harper were to resign, that Belinda would be a strong candidate and leader. But that's jsut me. What do you think?
Let's see: an uneducated woman of no accomplishment with almost no political experience or knowledge of politics, poor speaking ability, no ability to think and respond to sudden questions on her feet. Yup, sure sounds like leadership material to me! :rolleyes:

The only reason ANYONE would consider Belinda leadership material is she's good looking. That's it. Sorry, but pure shallowness is all that drives admiration of Stronach. She simply has nothing else going for her. And as she ages, well, so much for that.

I wish we can have a lady in politics that has courage, much smarts, and is a leader.

She was a liabilty to the Conservatives and just the fact that they supported her running for them, shows poor judgement on their part. As Argus has said she has little to no political experience, no speaking ability and as was said before by members of the Conservatives, she never brought any new ideas to the Conservative platform, how could she possibly think that she was a viable candidate for leadership???

So the only platform she was working from was her looks, and to me she is certainly no scream in hell.

For her to leave the Conservatives is no worse than Brison in '03. She sold her soul for a prime job, not for how her constituents felt. I like the Conservative idea for a by-election when the member leaves his/her party.

For Conservative members to call her a "whore" is poor taste because of the politically correct world we live in, regardless how it was meant. Very much to the point and correct, but not for this population of do-gooders and bleeding heart Liberals.

She is simply a turncoat, ladder climbing skank that should be thrown out of politics and sent back to look pretty for "Daddy's company".

That is just my personal opinion! :)

Thanks to all who have replied. some people brought up the point that Belinda was not the prime candidate for leadership because she is not bilingual and that she is uneducated. Well what does education have to do with being a leader? some have leadership skills, you don't need to be bilingual or go to an Ivy League school for that. I understand these people's concerns, but i disagree. As to Kim Campbell, well she was conservative and that i don't support them but a female prime minister would be terribly refreshing. Actually, a woman of mixed parentage would be excellent instead of the bunch of white old fuddy duddies who run our country. And Yes, i find that turning your back on the conservative party is an admirable trait. Get out before it's too late :) !

Maybe some of you are just plain jealous of this lady. 

She plays to win - and she does.

Actually, if her ultimate goal was to become PM, I would argue her recent behavior has ensured that will never happen.

Selling her vote did buy her a quick cabinet post, but no Lib in their right mind will ever let her become leader.

So: Never to be leader of the Libs and never to be leader of the Cons, her goal of reaching the pinnacles of power in the country have been squashed by her own impatient ambition.

That's not winning.

Thanks to all who have replied. some people brought up the point that Belinda was not the prime candidate for leadership because she is not bilingual and that she is uneducated. Well what does education have to do with being a leader?

Gee, uh.... It would kind of be nice to have a prime minister who can count, don't ya think? And given he's the guy making decisions about the economy, about laws, about every aspect of our lives, it would be sort of useful if he knew something about economics, about laws, about the world we live in.

some have leadership skills,

Certainly true. A keen mind and great leadership skills can make up for a lot. However, Stronach has demonstrated neither. She is a stumbling speaker who has to read every word from her notes, and she is incapable of holding her own in the kind of rough and tumble, back and forth questioning she would get from the press.

Again, there is nothing to recommend her except a pretty face, which apparently is enough for shallow people.

As to Kim Campbell, well she was conservative and that i don't support them but a female prime minister would be terribly refreshing.

Why? Do you want to see cleavage on the news? Is it something other than breasts which would help her be a refreshing prime minister?

Actually, a woman of mixed parentage would be excellent instead of the bunch of white old fuddy duddies who run our country.
So you vote for people based on their breasts and on what colour of skin they have - and whether they're pretty, right? Have I got that? Okay.

Maybe some of you are just plain jealous of this lady. 

She plays to win - and she does.

How has she won anything? She had a bigger limo at daddy's company, and without having to practice her lines so as to not make a fool of herself during questions from the media and opposition. You don't actually think she's going to be allowed to make any decisions as minister of HRDC do you? I guarantee you she'll be told what to do, what to say, etc. etc. They'll let her sign things, but she won't be making any decisions. She has neither the education, the experience, or the ability to run a ministry of that size. She will have to be hand-held by experienced, veteran bureacrats and aids assigned by the Liberal Party.

She was better off at daddy's company. At least the people holding her hands and guiding her there were loyal to her father.

Stroach played for publicity and got exactly that. She knew the Conservatives were dead under Haqrper and played the floor crossing game to get her name better known for future aspirations.

I think she is good looking, in fact rather hot, but she has little else going for her yet except her name, and that gets better known every day now.

If she plays her cards right then in a few years with experience under her belt I can see her heading a party, and running for PM.

My favorite female politician was Flora McDonald. Loved that lady until; she lost her leadership bid to Joe (whats his name) Clark and ended up just another "yes" girl in Ottawa.

I think she would have made a great PM. She certainly did lots to boost women in politics and undo the harm Judy LaMarsh did.

Stronach has a bright future if she "THINKS" before opening her mouth, and so far she appears to be doing just that. She obviously has good handlers.

Sir Chauncy

Stroach played for publicity and got exactly that. She knew the Conservatives were dead under Haqrper and played the floor crossing game to get her name better known for future aspirations.

I think she is good looking, in fact rather hot, but she has little else going for her yet except her name, and that gets better known every day now.

If she plays her cards right then in a few years with experience under her belt I can see her heading a party, and running for PM.

Her main asset is her looks. A secondary asset is she hasn't yet been in any responsible position where she can be watched and seen to screw up.

The next Liberal leader after Martin pretty much has to be French. That means the soonest there is likely to be an opening for another Anglo leader is about ten years down the line - by which time her looks will have faded, and the public will have been exposed to her incompetence. Thus even putting aside her lack of bilingualism (without which she has zero chance of ever leading the Liberals) her chances of being PM are about as good as Stockwell Day's.

I mean she is a public figure now, if that was her aim, a celibraty.

I can conclude that intelligence, education and the other usual qualities of being analytical, having a vision, etc. is traditional leadership qualities

And perhaps Belinda is an emerging new breed of leadership for politics - hey she is doing very well.

And perhaps there is something called self-motivation (changing sides), self-awareness (capitalizing on her personal traits), it is what I call emotional intelligence – having empathy for the masses of loyal people – she will do well as she is continues tapping into her social pool (oops Freudian slip - I meant social skill).

The liberals are progressive in their ideas and they see that a person can be a leader, just surround them with distinguished and outstanding performers.

Argus, if you have experience working with goverment you do know that every employee is successful and no one loses - also means Belinda is a winner.

Thanks again for the reply, i see that i am creating chaos...excellent. as to Argus i have to say that you are terribly mistaken. yes a formal education is recommended i totally agree with those of you who express that concern. But it is not the end of the world if someone doesn't get a PHD in political science. As to that er opinion expressed that i would vote just on "Cleavage" and "Skin colour".

Absolutely not. I was jsut pointing out that there is a lack of women in politics, especially women who are not white. I am a feminist argus, that is why i support women. I also think that we are still a country that values whote people over those of a more exotic ethnic background. I live in a predominately conservative, religious and white town and i hear people call those of african decent the n word and those of East Indian decent the p word and it disgusts me. This is why i would love to see someone that isn't your stereotypical politician beat the odds.

And I will always vote for the person who I feel is the BEST candidate for the position regardless of gender,race, or religion. Looking beyond the Federal level, there are plenty of diverse people who represent you at the provincial and municipal level. If you have an ideal person who would make a good Federal candidate in your area then urge them to run, and get your political party of choice to get them as a candidate in the next election. The issues are the important factor not gender,race or religion.

• 10 months later...

We've had several threads on Belinda Stronach so choosing this thread to make my point seems as good as any other.

We don't hear much about Stronach anymore and I wonder whether she has already become a "has been" or a "never was".

Stronach sures seems to have poor political judgment. She chose to quit the Conservative Party giving as a reason that Stephen Harper could not bring people together and become PM. In addition, she has taken credit publicly on several occasions for uniting the Right in Canada.

Move forward in time and we have a united Conservative government under PM Stephen Harper that is over 40% in opinion polls.

So, the reason she gave for quitting the Conservatives is evidently false (Harper is PM) and her previous claim to fame (uniting the Right) is now the nemesis of her Liberal colleagues.

Furthermore, she's decided she can't become Liberal leader, and so she's facing likely several years as opposition backbencher or at best, having to play second-fiddle to a PM Ignatieff or Rae.

This all could have been so different. She could be Minister of Foreign Affairs right now, and be the one getting the adrenalin-rush of an Afghanistan trip or of a G-8 in St. Petersburg.

I'm reminded of a quote from Shakespeare:

There is a tide in the affairs of men

Which, taken at the flood leads on to fortune;

Omitted, all the voyage of their life

Is bound in shallows and in miseries.

Julius Caesar

Political life has a way of humiliating those with big egos. It reserves a special humiliation for those with bad judgment.

Move forward in time and we have a united Conservative government under PM Stephen Harper that is over 40% in opinion polls.
Without her defection we would have had a election in the summer of 2005 which would have handed most of Quebec to the BQ. Delaying the election to 2006 allowed Harper and the CPC to focus on policy and focus on a positive message for change. This produced a very healthy minority gov't for the CPC which included a respectable number of seats in Quebec. Belinda likely made her choices for purely selfish reasons but the country is much better off today as a result of her decisions.

Gotta say a never was. Minister of HRSDC is a pretty low level appointment, especially for someone with no juice in the party. Minister Finley has a lot more clout in that role thanks to her roots in the party and hubby.

Does anybody really, truly believe Stronach is going to run again? I can see her definitley *not* running again. The reason given will be about giving Martha Hall Findlay a place in the party

We don't hear much about Stronach anymore and I wonder whether she has already become a "has been" or a "never was".

Furthermore, she's decided she can't become Liberal leader, and so she's facing likely several years as opposition backbencher or at best, having to play second-fiddle to a PM Ignatieff or Rae.

Don Martin's column in the National post today talks about Daddy Stronach and how ole Pappy Stronach thinks Harper's doing a good job so far.Wonder if Belinda has second thoughts......I think Belinda will fade in the next election and go back back to Daddy's money..er.....car company. :rolleyes: