Watch Harper & Duceppe Fall Flat On Their Faces

Is Tuesday doomsday or just a regular day at the office for Liberals?

The opposition calls Tuesday the day of reckoning on which the Liberal government faces its demise in a non-confidence vote.

The Liberals call it the second day of the work week - and nothing more dramatic. They dismiss suggestions they should resign and call an election if they lose a vote on a motion expected at 5:45 p.m. EDT. "It's clearly not a matter of confidence," Marc Roy, a spokesman for Prime Minister Paul Martin, said of the vote.

What a clueless couple, this Harper & Duceppe duo. They deserve each other. All they do is criticize with narry an attempt to make our country work. This is a pitiful exhibition by very mean-spirited politicians. A pox on both of them!

Harper is screwed and might as well through in the towel now. Imagine allying with the the separatists!

What a clueless couple, this Harper & Duceppe duo. They deserve each other. All they do is criticize with narry an attempt to make our country work. This is a pitiful exhibition by very mean-spirited politicians. A pox on both of them!

Harper is screwed and might as well through in the towel now. Imagine allying with the the separatists!

I venture to argue that if they fail, not just tomorrow but more generally in the next federal election, we will witness in our lifetimes the "collapse" of what should be a good corner of the world.

The last thing Canada needs is some mean-spirited Bush clone homophobe who represents the extreme rich, at the helm, propped up by some nutbar who wants to split Canada in half, so he can have more power for himself.

How quicly we conveniently forget Harper's Reform party and Harper's letter to the WSJ wanting to send Canadian troops to Iraq.

perhaps you'd like to explain who the "rich" are? Statscan has shown that 10% of the population pays 52% of the taxes, and that to be in that top 10% you only need to make $64,500 per year.

And why is it someone who makes $18,000 per year pays almost $2000 a year in income tax?

The Conservative party would fix this.

With the Libs on the ropes the way they are...if a Con can't win a majority, then it's a humiliation.

Moreover, I'd hazard to bet that most Canadians will groan at a Lib-NDP coalition government, with the NDP there to keep the Liberal bastards honest, than a Con-BQ coalition.

Harper needs a majority to govern. If he fails to get one, it will be humiliating.

The last thing Canada needs is some mean-spirited Bush clone homophobe who represents the extreme rich, at the helm, propped up by some nutbar who wants to split Canada in half, so he can have more power for himself.

Hmm, I'm trying to figure out how Harper represents the "extreme rich" (forget the homophobe accusation, that goes with anyone who doesn't support homosexual marraige, apparently) but - I'm failing. Well, perhaps my sanity gets in the way.

Even during the days of the Reform Party the party was notorious for the wide base of its donations from ordinary Canadians, while most Liberal money came, and continues to come from corporate Canada - and we see why now, and most NDP money comes from big Labour.

Well Paul Martin spent his life on Bay street, and is the well-groomed, wealthy wonderchild of the Montreal Desmerais family. If there was EVER anyone who represented the elites it is him, but it still doesn't stop idiotic claims about the Tories simply because poorly educated, intellectually lazy people can't tell the difference between the US Republican Party, which calls itself "conservative" and Canada's Conservative party.

It is very difficult for me to have respect for what people say when they so clearly have no respect for themselves either, at least not enough to actually kick their brain into gear and look into their ludicrous accusations.

I venture to argue that if they fail, not just tomorrow but more generally in the next federal election, we will witness in our lifetimes the "collapse" of what should be a good corner of the world.

?????

Whaaaaat ? If Canada is not destroyed this corner of the world will collapse? The mind boggles!

What I expect he means is that if the Liberals get back in it will be taken as a vote in favour of corruption and graft. The West will be furious. Quebec will be disgusted. Both will blame Ontario, and both will attempt to distance themselves from Ontario and the federal government. It could inspire a new referendum in Quebec, for example, for seperatism, and rejuvenate western seperatist elements.

I'll leave aside what appears to be your imbecilic suggestion that if the Tories get in Canada will be destroyed.

Not so hard to imagine for Jack Layton, he aligned himself instantly with the Bloc Quebecois immediately after the budget speech. Or has that been conveniently forgotten? The Liberals and Bloc have voted together on countless occasions too.

The fallatious regionalism relentlessly injected into every aspect of public discourse is a severe impediment to attaining sound policies.

I assume you are referring to the shameless, relentless pandering to special interests done by Paul Martin in recent weeks? You know, his recent agreements with NS and Nfld, Ontario, Manitoba and now Saskatchewans turn at the trough. Are those the policies you object to? Me too.

With the Libs on the ropes the way they are...if a Con can't win a majority, then it's a humiliation. 

Moreover, I'd hazard to bet that most Canadians will groan at a Lib-NDP coalition government, with the NDP there to keep the Liberal bastards honest, than a Con-BQ coalition.

Harper needs a majority to govern.  If he fails to get one, it will be humiliating.

With the conservative agenda the way it is a majority government is the only way that they could govern. The Bloc are only siding with them because they hate the Liberals, not that they share a larger agenda. Also I agree that a NDP/Liberal coalition is the best way to go for Canada as a whole.

What I expect he means is that if the Liberals get back in it will be taken as a vote in favour of corruption and graft.

How absurd. Why would anyone vote in favor of corruption and graft?

The West will be furious.

Why?

Quebec will be disgusted.

Why?

I'll leave aside what appears to be your imbecilic suggestion that if the Tories get in Canada will be destroyed.

But that is the tory agenda, isn't it? If not, why else would they play games with the Bloc?

Harper needs a majority to govern.  If he fails to get one, it will be humiliating.

As I said earlier this week, I don't think there's been any serious suggestion that they can form a majority without any support in Quebec. I don't see how it would be considered a humiliation to win a minority government; many people in this country, even a year ago, said they could never form a government at all.

Whether he'll need a majority, on the other hand, is an interesting question. He could certainly try to do it without forming any formal coalition, as Paul Martin has done for 10 months or so. After the next election there won't really be a lot of incentive for the BQ to cause another federal election, as they'll have flattened the Liberals federally in Quebec; there simply won't be much left for them to win. The Liberals and NDP, I'm sure, would take the country back to the polls as soon as they got the chance, but they'll face the same challenge that Harper is currently dealing with: how to force another election without looking like an opportunist, at a time when people are still annoyed from the last time they went to the polls. So I'm sure that Harper would have some length of time to work with.

-k

What could Harper possibly do?

He can't move on the social agenda...all of the other parties are light years away from the Cons on everything: from same sex marriage to abortion.

He can't move fiscally either...all of the other parties are light years away from the Cons on that front.

Moreover, any moves towards decentralization is instantly linked to the BQ.

So...what sort of mandate would a minority Con government have? What could they possibly do?

A con minority government = unmitigated disaster.

As for whether or not it's 'reasonable' to expect a con majority...of course it WAS, before the Cons totally screwed it up. 70 seats out west plus a majority from Ontario (60 to 70) plus a handful from Atlantic Canada = a majority government.

With the conservative agenda the way it is a majority government is the only way that they could govern. The Bloc are only siding with them because they hate the Liberals, not that they share a larger agenda. Also I agree that a NDP/Liberal coalition is the best way to go for Canada as a whole.

Do please tell us about the conservative agenda. I'd really like to hear about it.

I hope there is an election and Ontario gives the Liberals another win.  I can't wait to see all hell break loose in every other province.

Don't wish for that.

La politique des pires, c'est la pire des politiques.

Why not Aug. I actually think it'd be good. Something needs to light a fire under the people of this country to get some real reform. I don't think a Conservative minority will do it. When Mr. Dithers gets re-elected there will be some real rage in Quebec and Alberta. He's perfect for pissing everyone off the way he's passing out goodies in different amounts to different provinces and people depending on how much it takes to buy them off. This is creating some real resentment. We need to hit rock bottom, as they say. Let the shite hit the fan I say.

303 people voted + the speaker + 1 seat vacant = 305.

Three people didn't vote - I wonder why.

Who didn't vote not that it matters.

The motion is going nowhere, as apparently by precedence, the government is the one that decides whether something is a confidence motion or not, apart from a finance issue motion or budget issue motion.

I suppose Adrienne Carkson will be giving Harper a bit of an education soon! :D

And don't forget the Nfld by-election which is May 24 which from all accounts the Liberals will win.

Time is running out for poor Steevie!

303 people voted + the speaker + 1 seat vacant = 305.

Three people didn't vote - I wonder why.

And don't forget the Nfld by-election which is May 24 which from all accounts the Liberals will win.

Time is running out for poor Steevie!

Cadman had chemotherapy and did not vote, and two Liberal Cabinet ministers (Cotler and Efford) were not in the house.

I agree this wasn't the big vote - but I don't think we will get to 24 May. The budget vote will happen before then.

if the government does survive the spring session, we will then be committed to a winter election (as per PMs promise - and that election WILL be all about corruption).