Gender Gap

The CBC poll (showing the Tories at 33% leading the Liberals at 27% and that Newf linked to elsewhere) also contains something notable.

While 28% of women say that health care is the most important issue facing the country, only 14% of men say this. At the same time, 6% of men say that taxes are the most important issue whereas only 2% of women say this.

One obvious explanation for this is that men, on average, are richer than women. This explains "taxes" but it also explains "health care". Women are fearful that privatization means they won't be able to afford health care.

There's more though. Women use health care services more than men do. (In part, this is because women live longer and also because women give birth.)

Women spend more on prescription drugs than men. This gender difference could be observed in all job types, all sectors and was true for respondents with and without dependent care responsibilities. This gender difference in prescription drug use is consistent with what has been reported in the literature (CIHI) and is consistent with the fact that women are more likely than men to seek care (e.g. visit physician, see other health care professionals, use the services of mental health professionals, receive outpatient treatment).

Canadian Government web site

Based on previous polls, men are more inclined to support the Tories and women to support the Liberals or NDP. This gap does not exist among BQ voters.

To advance a sexist argument, perhaps women now look to the State to provide security whereas before they looked to a husband. I don't know.

It seems to me however that the connection to the Liberal Party is one of security and dependance. There is a fear that the Conservatives (and Harper in particular) will somehow abandon people.

An analysis of the 2000 election noted this:

By far the most important factor, though, was one that has not figured in theorizing about the gender gap, and that is cynicism about politics. As we have seen, women tended to be as cynical as men about politics and politicians, but political cynicism turned out to be an even more important factor for men than it was for women. Had cynicism about politics been only as salient for men as it was for women, the gender gap would have narrowed by almost five points.

Then:

It is not that women were any less cynical about politics and politicians. Nor that political cynicism failed to motivate an Alliance vote on the part of women. But the fact that disaffection with politics was a more important consideration for men than for women was a major contributing factor to the gender gap in Alliance support. We can only speculate about why this should be so, but it may well reflect the fact that politics is simply a less salient concern in most women’s lives. In Canada, as in Western Europe and the United States, women typically express less interest in politics than men do, they discuss politics less often, and they know less about politics

What Sweal said...

Just going on instinct, which parties would appeal to 'caring nurturers' and which to 'rugged individualists' ? This should be no great surprise.

If the Tories had any political sense (They haven't been any good at this game since Preston Manning left.) then they would make changes in this area.

I would like to add my bit on this conversation.

The experience of oppession of women leads women to prioritize being a female as a point of self-definition and social position.

Here is what I mean that women on the whole join in the equality struggle for change forgetting that men are the oppressors.

Women continue to look for equality while men continue with their individual rights.

I question how can one disappear men from work on gender equality? They run the show

Women, I feel are still recasting their social and private lives. They are still in this relationship mode, the struggles with economics, health and child care, education are paramount along with their identity.

Why is it that women are now taking up a "third shift" with their struggles? Let me remind you of what the first shift is - working in some low paid job, second shift is coming home to take care of house duties and kids, and the third shifts is outreaching to organizations late in the night for support.

Politics is still a "guy" conversation.

I mean look around this Mapleleafweb forum - can you count on one hand the number of women contributing to the discussions - now don't try to insult me by squaring a blame on marketing strategies

If women show lack of enthusiasm well there is no short-term advances in politics for them with their short-term life in politics

I do still believe women voters will continue to vote liberals even with their lies or turn to NDP

The conservatives seem to ignore issues that a central to women lives i.e. their self-definition/identity

Here is what I mean based on glass ceiling numbers 20% of women can sit in political seats - then look at how long there are usually there 2 years, 3 years and the impact of their influence - how do one say NIL

You understand that if a woman did try to make herself competitive they are somehow chosen for "public appearance" to assist with revival of parties. Is that the politics of Belinda. In the end the women are soon overpower by men who were a lifetime in politics well greater than those 3 years and in the old boy's club

Women hoping for party leadership is rather bleak - the exceptional women is passed over also

Hence women are unable to influence changes or make a difference. The sphere of political institution for exclusion of women is age-old and the systems were initially designed to the exclusion of women. We have change the laws to include women and legally removed barriers but somehow politics is still there, we all know the meaning of these terms:

"a man's game"

"men's club"

"men turf"

you get the picture.

I have a feeling that even if women enter into politics by the numbers maybe change to address women’s issues will be slow for the mere fact of what is wrong with parties’ discipline, solidarity with males in the cabinet and the entire structure of government – well there are much challenges for women.

Now I don’t have the numbers of how women vote. But, also I wondered about their political activities even as an activist, voting, interest groups on politics, their impact on legislatures, and as suffragettes and leaders.

Did I mention women’s progress in politics has been stagnated – I mean check the stats of the progress made in perhaps last 20 years to present. A few additions to here and there, which also sums up the gender gap..we are here and they are over there

I would add anothercouple o speculations:

-the machismo nurtured into males may predispose them to find appeal in mythologies of individalism, competition, and harsh rule proppounded by the Right;

You mean self reliance?

• 2 weeks later...