Is it time to prep?

I don't know where to put this topic.....but since we're umbilically tied with the USA - economically and physically - I suppose this  section will do.  We face the same threat.

Argus has just explained how an EMP attack works - and it will affect Canada if ever North Korea does launch an attack on USA.

Argus

So North Korea has allegedly exploded a big hydrogen bomb now, one that can allegedly fit onto an ICBC, and is threatening to use it on the US in an EMP attack. For those who aren't aware of it, an EMP is an electromagnetic pulse, which is something nukes give off. The theory, based on what happened when the US exploded a test bomb high up decades ago, is that if you set off a bomb up high, the electromagnetic pulse will basically destroy all sensitive electronics, most especially including power transformers, thus wiping out the electricity grid. This would not cause a day or a week of power loss, but potentially many months since the transformers would have to be rebuilt. And, of course, Canada would be hit by the same pulse. While some military equipment is hardened against EMPs, no civilian infrastructure has been hardened. Some estimate 90% of the population would die within a year or so of an EMP since we can't support our present population without electricity.

Is it time to prep now, in the likelihood of that event? 

Note:  maybe we need a GENERAL DISCUSSION section (which can also accomodate conspiracy theories)?

Edited by betsy

This is one of the wackiest conspiracy theories ever, Betsy, and the biggest perpetrator of conspiracy theories has always been the USA. The idea that Korea is going to launch an offense against the US is ludicrous. 

Some others have been Iraq WMDs, the Taliban are hiding OBL, 

The US propaganda system, which Canada helps along, relies on "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" individuals like you to create pathways for them to illegally invade other nations, always defenseless ones given that the US are such cowards. 

I think everyone should be prepared, to some extent, for societal disruption caused by a number of factors. We are becoming more and more reliant on our computers. And those computers are highly fallible and subject to attacks, either from viruses or malware, or by other types of electronic disruption. Our society can no longer survive without them, not if they went down suddenly, without lots of lead time. Take down the computers and the electrical grid goes down, the water stops flowing, refineries stop working, so gas production stops, and gas stations need power anyway, homes don't get heated, no radios, no TV, and cars stop working.

I have over a year of food (freeze dried), some water stockpiled, and other basic necessities, ie, candles, lanterns, lamp oil. It's not that expensive. It's a sort of insurance policy you hope you never have to use. I'm not a 'prepper' as such. I don't have any real plans and my house isn't jammed full of supplies for Armageddon and I'm not moving to an isolated farmstead build like a blockhouse where I can grow my own food. But I do like to take precautions. 

Cities have, generally, a three day supply of food. Anything that disrupts the supply chain with its steady flow of food and goods is going to make life very difficult, very quickly. Anything that stops water flowing through the taps is going to make things worse faster still.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Argus said:

Take down the computers and the electrical grid goes down, the water stops flowing, refineries stop working, so gas production stops, and gas stations need power anyway, homes don't get heated, no radios, no TV, and cars stop working

All imaginary, all advanced to stir up the sheeple. Now consider that this was a completely planned, studied event by the USA wherein it knew full well, described in advance the millions that would die in Iraq from US sanctions, US bombing of water treatment plants. A PLANNED GENOCIDE!

Why the silence? Why just the propaganda? Why, Argus, why?

18 minutes ago, Argus said:

It's a sort of insurance policy you hope you never have to use. I'm not a 'prepper' as such. I don't have any real plans and my house isn't jammed full of supplies for Armageddon and I'm not moving to an isolated farmstead build like a blockhouse where I can grow my own food. But I do like to take precautions. 

Thou doth protest too much. 

1 hour ago, Argus said:

I think everyone should be prepared, to some extent, for societal disruption caused by a number of factors. We are becoming more and more reliant on our computers. And those computers are highly fallible and subject to attacks, either from viruses or malware, or by other types of electronic disruption. Our society can no longer survive without them, not if they went down suddenly, without lots of lead time. Take down the computers and the electrical grid goes down, the water stops flowing, refineries stop working, so gas production stops, and gas stations need power anyway, homes don't get heated, no radios, no TV, and cars stop working.

I have over a year of food (freeze dried), some water stockpiled, and other basic necessities, ie, candles, lanterns, lamp oil. It's not that expensive. It's a sort of insurance policy you hope you never have to use. I'm not a 'prepper' as such. I don't have any real plans and my house isn't jammed full of supplies for Armageddon and I'm not moving to an isolated farmstead build like a blockhouse where I can grow my own food. But I do like to take precautions. 

Cities have, generally, a three day supply of food. Anything that disrupts the supply chain with its steady flow of food and goods is going to make life very difficult, very quickly. Anything that stops water flowing through the taps is going to make things worse faster still.

Cool.

I've got the usual preparedness 2-weeks supply as advised by Red Cross  for natural disasters.  Looking into extending that asap!  First aid supplies, too.

With EMP disruptions - there won't be any food and water supply!  You can't rely on the government to provide since there wouldn't be any vehicles running.

Our biggest problem will be wintertime.

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Realistically, if you happen to be in a city with a few weeks (let alone a year!) supply of food and water stored up while other people around you are starving, your biggest concern isn't gonna be the food/water supply but what a few bad actors from the surrounding population might be willing to do to sate their thirst and hunger. In case of apocalypse, best bet is to get out of major cities in the first day or two. Even run-of-the-mill natural disasters like you see in the US bring out looters and bandits, and that's while emergency and police services are still on the ground doing their best to help people and maintain order. 

Best "prep" you can have is a sturdy pair of hiking boots, some outdoor clothing, and a backpack full of the basic necessities including water filtration, a few weeks basic food rations, and an idea of where to go to wait things out. 

• Like 2

For  young folks, yes...... it's best to get out of the city. 

But for the elderlies, and those who for health reasons can't go anywhere, or with nowhere to go  - we'll just have to face what's coming.  Hide some of your food and sacrifice some in your pantry.  Group with family members - there's some safety in numbers.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hot enough said:

All imaginary, all advanced to stir up the sheeple.

You think? So, HE, in the case that it is not imaginary, and leaving aside your usual US conspiracy concerns, say it's a natural disaster, do you have a supply of non perishable goods stashed away to sustain you and your family for a few days? I do. But with the present situation of fat NK boy flexing his muscles I think the time has come to review and refresh said contingency plans.

25 minutes ago, Bonam said:

Realistically, if you happen to be in a city with a few weeks (let alone a year!) supply of food and water stored up while other people around you are starving, your biggest concern isn't gonna be the food/water supply but what a few bad actors from the surrounding population might be willing to do to sate their thirst and hunger. In case of apocalypse, best bet is to get out of major cities in the first day or two.

Well, my brother-in-law is a bit paranoid too. He's not exactly a prepper either but he is prepared. He lives about an hour's drive from the city and his place has its own well. He's setting it up with solar panels, too. And he's an electrician and has a generator set up. He also has guns and a crossbow.

The three day supply is what the city has when everything goes normally, btw. As anyone who watches the news knows, if there is a sudden panic, or anticipation of problems, such as a coming hurricane, say, those grocery shelves empty out REAL fast. Same goes for hardware shops which have candles, lamps, lamp oil, propane stoves, etc.

Edited by Argus

38 minutes ago, betsy said:

Cool.

I've got the usual preparedness 2-weeks supply as advised by Red Cross  for natural disasters.  Looking into extending that asap!  First aid supplies, too.

With EMP disruptions - there won't be any food and water supply!  You can't rely on the government to provide since there wouldn't be any vehicles running.

Our biggest problem will be wintertime.

Yes. I have some thermal blankets, a tent, and a hell of a good parka, all weather matches, and some chemical warmers. OIl lamps will produce heat, too, as will candles. Not as good as a fireplace, mind, but my fireplace is gas and that will likely stop. I would suggest, depending on your income, checking a place like Bryden Solutions Canada for freeze dried food which can be stored for years, sometimes decades.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Very good betsy. Duck and cover won't cut it when fat boy lets loose.

Fat boy is not the only possible source of major EMP. The sun could cause one too. Then there's unpredictable things like plagues, or maybe an eruption of one of the world's super volcanos, such as the one under Yellowstone national park. Or how about a huge cyber attack that takes down the grid, or the banks, which are all connected together by ATM networks? Does anyone think the banks spend one cent more than absolute minimum to secure their data? And even that is designed to secure it against hackers, not hostile foreign government efforts.

Say you've got a million dollars in the bank. What evidence do you have of that? If their records are wiped, along with the backups, where's your money?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Argus said:

Or how about a huge cyber attack that takes down the grid, or the banks, which are all connected together by ATM networks? Does anyone think the banks spend one cent more than absolute minimum to secure their data? And even that is designed to secure it against hackers, not hostile foreign government efforts.

Good point. A few years ago, you will recall Ontario experienced a widespread hydro disruption and all ATM's were down. If you had no cash  you were up shit creek to buy necessities. So, add to the non perishables a supply of cash in the event. Of course, those living hand to mouth cannot cover this contingency.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Good point. A few years ago, you will recall Ontario experienced a widespread hydro disruption and all ATM's were down. If you had no cash  you were up shit creek to buy necessities. So, add to the non perishables a supply of cash in the event. Of course, those living hand to mouth cannot cover this contingency.

No, it will be hard to prep adequately on short notice, especially when there isn't enough spare money to spend.  They can scrape by, building up their stock a bit at a time, but that takes time. 

The first order of the day would have to have some water and ready-to-eat food, in the event that you can't cook.  Pork n beans and soups that have large amount of protein will be good.  Peanut butter and crackers. 

Always eat the perishables in your fridge first, then go for the perishables in your freezer......before you start opening those cans.  That extends your food supplies.  Right now, just the food in the fridge and freezer - I'd say I'll have at least 1 week food supply for 4.  Also, I tend to have 3 to 5 loaves of bread in the freezer (especially when they're on sale), and I do the same for peanut-butter and jam, so that should keep us going for a while.

Water is very important.  They say  you can last for weeks without food, but - depending on the season - you can't last 5 days without water.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

I don't think that Kim Jong is crazy enough to launch a pre-emptive attack on the USA.

That being said:

I do think the McCain would be crazy enough to launch a pre-emptive attack on North Korea.  I mean really, the guy probably killed off a thousand people in his 22 bombing runs over Vietnam.

Which in the greater scheme of things, could actually still end up with the US being nuked.  I can imagine that Kim Jong has some sort of pact with his generals that in the event of his death (by assassination attempt or said pre-emptive) that they will use any and all means (which means the sixty nukes they probably have now) to make sure the US gets Holy Hellfire payback.

7 hours ago, betsy said:

I don't know where to put this topic.....but since we're umbilically tied with the USA - economically and physically - I suppose this  section will do.  We face the same threat.

Argus has just explained how an EMP attack works - and it will affect Canada if ever North Korea does launch an attack on USA.

Is it time to prep now, in the likelihood of that event? 

Note:  maybe we need a GENERAL DISCUSSION section (which can also accomodate conspiracy theories)?

Maybe there should be a miscellaneous forum for topics that don't quite fit well into other forums. All in favor say aye? :)  

4 hours ago, capricorn said:

You think? So, HE, in the case that it is not imaginary, and leaving aside your usual US conspiracy concerns, say it's a natural disaster, do you have a supply of non perishable goods stashed away to sustain you and your family for a few days? I do. But with the present situation of fat NK boy flexing his muscles I think the time has come to review and refresh said contingency plans.

I never would have taken you for a the sky is falling doomsday prepper. 

The only things you have to fear is US fat boy pussy grabber and fear itself. 

4 hours ago, betsy said:

The first order of the day would have to have some water and ready-to-eat food, in the event that you can't cook.  Pork n beans and soups that have large amount of protein will be good.  Peanut butter and crackers. 

Water is cheap, even in those five gallon jugs. I've got a dozen in the basement. Unopened oatmeal will keep for 2/3 years.

9 hours ago, Argus said:

Water is cheap, even in those five gallon jugs. I've got a dozen in the basement. Unopened oatmeal will keep for 2/3 years.

Oats is the best for long-time prepping, imho.  They're high in protein and fiber and practically well-rounded as far as nutrition is concerned....and you don't have to eat salty canned foods everyday!  They're cheap, too!

I buy from Bulk Barn and I found a neglected opened bag of it that's been sitting at the back of the shelf for ages (I could tell by the looks of the plastic bag)....and they're still good.  I couldn't tell the difference between the fresh and those ones. 

Sometimes, there are larva with the oats when they get packed.  That's the danger of having them unchecked in sealed packages.....the surprise of finding bugs when you open them.  If I were you, I'd check those packages and if they're good, repackage them in heavy-duty freezer bags. 

If you plan to store them long-term,  Place a piece of towel paper with them (to prevent moisture), double bag them (squeezing the air out).  Place dried herbs like bay leaf and basil in between bags to prevent bugs from getting to them. Store in dark, dry place.  The beauty of this is, you can visibly check them out every now and then, without having to open the bags.

You can eat rolled oats without cooking.  Just soak them overnight, and they're good to go the next morning.

Edited by betsy