Leah Remini's "Scientology" series

Goddess

Yah I have G.

Remini is a very ballsy woman.

There are many organizations like Scientology out there. They attract people who want to do good and are idealistic. Their power centralized and covered up by a  lack of accountability in their structure and behaviour is what gets them in trouble and causes problems.

Make no mistake she is David up against Goliath.

Edited by Rue

I was involved in a very similar cult for most of my life, only got out with my children about 10 years ago.  I'm surprised (surprisednotsurprised) at the similarities between Scientology and the cult I was in.

From the show, they use the same brainwashing, thought control and "keep them busy" techniques as the one I was in.  The same "disconnecting", and very much the same superior attitudes.

They are also about the same size world wide as the group I was in and I'm really hoping that this shines a light on other groups.

22 minutes ago, Goddess said:

I was involved in a very similar cult for most of my life, only got out with my children about 10 years ago.  I'm surprised (surprisednotsurprised) at the similarities between Scientology and the cult I was in.

From the show, they use the same brainwashing, thought control and "keep them busy" techniques as the one I was in.  The same "disconnecting", and very much the same superior attitudes.

They are also about the same size world wide as the group I was in and I'm really hoping that this shines a light on other groups.

Sounds like jw's. I was never a member but very close to someone who still is. 

Edited by WestCoastRunner

16 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Sounds like jw's. I was never a member but very close to someone who still is. 

That's them.  They are so similar to Scientology in so many ways.  I wonder if any of the JWs have watched the show.  Likely they are not allowed or discouraged from watching it.  Or they will be just too afraid to watch it.

32 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Scientology fosters a myth that they are more powerful than they really are, from what I understand.  

That's a bit of a difference from the group I was in.  For us, there was no way to be "saved" and you could never do enough, so there was always a sort of *panic* feeling that was with you.

8 minutes ago, Goddess said:

That's them.  They are so similar to Scientology in so many ways.  I wonder if any of the JWs have watched the show.  Likely they are not allowed or discouraged from watching it.  Or they will be just too afraid to watch it.

I suspect they are too brainwashed to watch it. 

4 minutes ago, Goddess said:

For anyone who's interested, Steven Hassan has written some really great books on cults, the techniques they use to keep people trapped and how to break free from the mind control.

Being mentally free of the cult is the hardest part.

How did you manage to break free if you don't mind me asking? 

7 minutes ago, Goddess said:

That's a bit of a difference from the group I was in.  For us, there was no way to be "saved" and you could never do enough, so there was always a sort of *panic* feeling that was with you.

That's an interesting way to put it. A panic feeling. 

Just now, WestCoastRunner said:

How did you manage to break free if you don't mind me asking? 

I just basically up and left - there were so many things that were bothering me about the religion (the hypocrasy, the isolation, etc.).  They tracked me down to another province, two elders sat in their car all night watching the house where I lived to be sure I was there, then they knocked on the door one night and told me they were disfellowshipping me.

I was panicked at first and felt I needed to get back.  I decided to use the time to research some of the things that bothered me - not to prove them wrong, but to prove them right.  Well, it opened Pandora's box.

I joined a forum for JW's recovering from leaving and got in contact with Steven Hassan.

3 minutes ago, Goddess said:

I just basically up and left - there were so many things that were bothering me about the religion (the hypocrasy, the isolation, etc.).  They tracked me down to another province, two elders sat in their car all night watching the house where I lived to be sure I was there, then they knocked on the door one night and told me they were disfellowshipping me.

I was panicked at first and felt I needed to get back.  I decided to use the time to research some of the things that bothered me - not to prove them wrong, but to prove them right.  Well, it opened Pandora's box.

I joined a forum for JW's recovering from leaving and got in contact with Steven Hassan.

So glad to hear you had the strength to challenge them. I bet your life is much happier now.  I have personally witnessed horror stories coming out of that cult but probably nothing you had to endure. 

Edited by WestCoastRunner

So glad to hear you had the strength to challenge them. I bet your life is much happier now. 

It was extremely difficult.  I left with nothing but what I could carry in my truck and about $600.

I learned that they only have power over you if you give it to them.  They can't force you to attend any disciplinary or judicial meetings.  You can say No and it's okay, nothing bad happens.  And I learned that "worldly" people are actually pretty nice and for the first time in my life, I made real freinds.

Yes, my kids and I are much happier.  Except we lost all our family, which is sometimes still difficult.

I'm not sure how governments would be able to deal with the disconnecting or disfellowshipping thing....Jw's tell the public that it is the family's "choice" to stop associating with you and that the disfellowshipped person makes the "choice" to cut off from family.  But that's not the reality.

There are sanctions in the church for associating with a disfellowshipped person, same as in Scientology.

Edited by Goddess

1 minute ago, Goddess said:

It was extremely difficult.  I left with nothing but what I could carry in my truck and about $600.

I learned that they only have power over you if you give it to them.  They can't force you to attend any disciplinary or judicial meetings.  You can say No and it's okay, nothing bad happens.  And I learned that "worldly" people are actually pretty nice and for the first time in my life, I made real freinds.

Yes, my kids and I are much happier.  Except we lost all our family, which is sometimes still difficult.

This is why I hate cults. They destroy families, relationships between family members and they can drag their kids door knocking. Such an abuse to children. Not to mention their restriction on their sexual behaviours!  Good grief. 

Just now, Goddess said:

I'm not sure how governments would be able to deal with the disconnecting or disfellowshipping thing....Jw's tell the public that it is the family's "choice" to stop associating with you and that the disfellowshipped person makes the "choice" to cut off from family.  But that's not the reality.

It's freedom of religion. They are not recognized as a cult. 

It's freedom of religion. They are not recognized as a cult. 

That's the sticking point - in watching the Scientology series, Leah keeps saying she wants legislation against this, but I'm not sure governments want to touch that with a ten foot pole.  And as I pointed out, the cults will have their own public spin on it, saying that it's the family's "choice" to disconnect from you.

Just now, Goddess said:

That's the sticking point - in watching the Scientology series, Leah keeps saying she wants legislation against this, but I'm not sure governments want to touch that with a ten foot pole.  And as I pointed out, the cults will have their own public spin on it, saying that it's the family's "choice" to disconnect from you.

Yes. Nothing will be done to curtail Scientology. But at least she is casting light on it. 

5 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Yes. Nothing will be done to curtail Scientology. But at least she is casting light on it. 

For sure  :)

The recovery forum I was on was so helpful for me that I also served on it for quite a few years and I saw the damage first hand to individuals and to families.  One of my freinds from there committed suicide because he couldn't deal with the stress of being disfellowshipped (he also had other issues - alcohol being one)

I don't have the celebrity power Leah has, so I'm glad she's using it to do this.

45 minutes ago, Goddess said:

On a personal level, I could see how that would work.  I knew someone who was in a religion that could isolate you from your social group and family if they kicked you out.  

11 minutes ago, Goddess said:

For sure  :)

The recovery forum I was on was so helpful for me that I also served on it for quite a few years and I saw the damage first hand to individuals and to families.  One of my freinds from there committed suicide because he couldn't deal with the stress of being disfellowshipped (he also had other issues - alcohol being one)

I don't have the celebrity power Leah has, so I'm glad she's using it to do this.

I think that once someone has been brainwashed it does turn into a mental illness so I'm not surprised someone would be driven to suicide feeling that they are powerless. Not sure if you would agree with that statement. 

9 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

I think that once someone has been brainwashed it does turn into a mental illness so I'm not surprised someone would be driven to suicide feeling that they are powerless. Not sure if you would agree with that statement. 

Yes, you are correct.  It's partly the powerlessness, partly the guilt and fear of leaving.  Lots of people struggle mentally after leaving a cult.  And it's hard to find phychologists who truly understand the nature of the mind control.

Recovery forums are important - they let you know you're not alone, that you're not crazy and offer real support.

Everyone recovers differently - some get very angry at the cult, some just leave and go on with their lives after doing the research and putting the time into healing.

Edited by Goddess

6 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Yes, you are correct.  It's partly the powerlessness, partly the guilt and fear of leaving.  Lots of people struggle mentally after leaving a cult.  And it's hard to find phychologists who truly understand the nature of the mind control.

Recovery forums are important - they let you know you're not alone, that you're not crazy and offer real support.

Everyone recovers differently - some get very angry at the cult, some just leave and go on with their lives after doing the research and putting the time into healing.

Interesting about the psychologists. It is amazing to see someone you know become such a different person almost overnight. It's scary to think how vulnerable we all are if exposed to enough indoctrination.