Canada - a wholly owned province of China

Argus

I'm sure people noticed the Liberals announcement the other day that Canada 'is trying to convince' China to double or triple the number of visa application centres for Chinese "workers, students and tourists". It was a blithe announcement which, as with all Liberal announcements, was all style in order to hide the substance.

"They didn't say yes, but they certainly didn't say no," McCallum told reporters in Vancouver after a roundtable discussion on immigration.

Uhm, uhm, but wait. Anyone remember the haughty Chinese foreign ministers who made an asshole of himself here a few months ago? No? Terry Glavin of the Post does. Because this was one of his orders/demands to Canada at the time. Now, suddenly, MccAllum is pretending this is a policy idea his Liberals just thought up and they're trying to persuade the Chinese to consent!!

And uhm, how many of these 'workers, tourists and students' will be workers? It's hard to believe the Chinese foreign minister would demand this so that Canada could get more tourists and students. No this is meant to boost the number of Chinese foreign workers in Canada. Once again China is set to screw us, and the Liberals are rolling over like the gutless, spineless wimps they've always been.

An acceleration of the availability and volume of Canadian visas accessible to Chinese citizens that the authorities in Beijing would encourage to sojourn in Canada was one of the many demands enumerated less than three months ago by Wang Yi, the Chinese Foreign Minister who made an international spectacle of himself at a press conference by barking at Canadian journalists that they had “no right” to raise questions about human rights in China.
Now we’re expected to believe that Wang’s little-noticed demand that Canada boost the supply of visas available to Chinese citizens who are in good standing with Beijing was actually a Canadian idea. We will all be expected to believe a great deal of claptrap like this in the coming days, as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s visit to China approaches in advance of the Sept. 4-5 G20 Summit in Hangzhou. So be alert.

• Like 2

Did you think about what US can take from Canada when hundreds of Canadian companies were acquired by US companies in recent years like Zellers, Tim Hortons, ATI. Did you asked what they had taken?

Why you care so much about what China get and care nothing about what you can get? Did you even think of what you can keep if exclude China?

Even in 2nd rate cities in China, they can build a new subway line each year, why Toronto cannot add even one station in 10 years? Did you do it yourself? Did US help Canada do it? Exclude China might be a good idea, but we care about the real improvement of our life, why for do many years, no one can make us see something real except Mayor Ford.

What is your idea, you would rather hunger to death in order to not let China to get one cent? Why? Just because of decades of brainwashed?

(p.s. China's human right situation is better than Canada, see my other posts.)

Did you think about what US can take from Canada when hundreds of Canadian companies were acquired by US companies in recent years like Zellers, Tim Hortons, ATI. Did you asked what they had taken?

Canadian companies can and do sell into the US market with few barriers. A Canadian company supplied the cell phone that Obama used when he was first elected. China, on the otherhand, persistently blocks access to its market through selectively enforced regulations and demands for 'Chinese partners' which often end of stealing whatever IP a company has. Trade requires reciprocity and China offers none to Canada.

The TFW demand is taking the lack of reciprocity to a entirely new level. In most cases when a foreign company invests in Canada that means jobs for Canadians. But China does not even want to offer that - they want to import their own workers.

Basically, unless China looks to build a relationship based on mutual benefit rather than simply taking what it wants and blocking Canadian trade everywhere else then we have nothing to discuss with China.

You are completely delusional if you believe this.
  • Like 1

Our governments seem content with enabling the Chinese ascension at the cost of Canadian economic interests and our future autonomy. That is extremely disconcerting.

Since China is currently setting our immigration policy, perhaps in the near future they may want a hand in setting our educational policy. I mean, a good bit of BC is essentially a Chinese majority..

Our governments seem content with enabling the Chinese ascension at the cost of Canadian economic interests and our future autonomy. That is extremely disconcerting.

Since China is currently setting our immigration policy, perhaps in the near future they may want a hand in setting our educational policy. I mean, a good bit of BC is essentially a Chinese majority..

According to this we already issue 400,000 visa per year to Chinese for "multiple entry and exit' which basically lets them come and go into our country as they please. Why? Four hundred thousand in one year!? What are all these Chinese doing?

Additionally, in 2015, Canada received 594,897 applications for temporary resident visas from Chinese nationals. There was also a nearly 95 per cent increase in study permits issued between 2010 and 2015 to Chinese nationals.

So we have permits for a million Chinese a year to come into Canada? Why did we grant almost 600,000 temporary resident permits? Canada only has something under a million full time post-secondary student enrollment. Are you telling me six hundred thousand of them are Chinese?

Let's not forget that China is not the US or UK. Every Chinese company which invests in Canada is owned by the Chinese Communist Party, and every worker who comes here is under the orders of the Chinese government and will inevitably do whatever he or she is told, which includes passing along any and all information of interest to China.

China's human rights situation is better than North Korea's, and that's about it. It's a bottom of the barrel country in terms of human rights.

• Thanks 1

According to this we already issue 400,000 visa per year to Chinese for "multiple entry and exit' which basically lets them come and go into our country as they please. Why? Four hundred thousand in one year!? What are all these Chinese doing?

Additionally, in 2015, Canada received 594,897 applications for temporary resident visas from Chinese nationals. There was also a nearly 95 per cent increase in study permits issued between 2010 and 2015 to Chinese nationals.

So we have permits for a million Chinese a year to come into Canada? Why did we grant almost 600,000 temporary resident permits? Canada only has something under a million full time post-secondary student enrollment. Are you telling me six hundred thousand of them are Chinese?

Let's not forget that China is not the US or UK. Every Chinese company which invests in Canada is owned by the Chinese Communist Party, and every worker who comes here is under the orders of the Chinese government and will inevitably do whatever he or she is told, which includes passing along any and all information of interest to China.

This entire situation is an example of how dearly we are paying for Nixon and Trudeau's disastrous decision to open relations with China. After the Sino-Soviet split there was a massive opportunity to isolate & destroy the 2nd largest Communist power on earth and the West pissed it away.

The PRC should have never been recognized or given the ROC's UNSC seat, and we should have established a cohesive strategy to isolate them economically & diplomatically. All of East Asia, let alone us in Canada, is being threatened by Chinese expansionist policies because we messed up.

This entire situation is an example of how dearly we are paying for Nixon and Trudeau's disastrous decision to open relations with China. After the Sino-Soviet split there was a massive opportunity to isolate & destroy the 2nd largest Communist power on earth and the West pissed it away.

Actually, many in the "West" looked forward to the huge trade opportunities with the fastest growing economy and largest population on the planet. Example: China is now GM's largest sales market. If instead some Canadians wanted to lead the "West" in a war against China, it was a very unrealistic expectation.

Having just finished Tuchmans 'Stilwell and the American Experience in China" I agree. The west has been pursuing trade with the vast markets of China since ... well, forever.

My personal experience with manufacturing technology transfer to China in the late 1990's was very positive. The Chinese nationals were very professional, eager to learn from the "West", pragmatic, and extremely efficient. Not once did communist ideology ever get in the way of hard work in the trenches. Women also had prominent roles and positions, just like the men....how progressive !

Canada cannot reverse this economic reality, and would be foolish to do so. On balance, having China on side is a very good thing.

Canadian companies can and do sell into the US market with few barriers. A Canadian company supplied the cell phone that Obama used when he was first elected. China, on the otherhand, persistently blocks access to its market through selectively enforced regulations and demands for 'Chinese partners' which often end of stealing whatever IP a company has. Trade requires reciprocity and China offers none to Canada.

How many iPhone sold in China, How many HuaWei cell phone sold in the US?

How much "A Canadian company" can earn when they sell those cell phone to Obama, How much iPhone earn from Canada.

How much Huawei cell phone station build in US, How much Chinese solar battery sold in US, isn't that US block China instead of China blocks US?

And this topic is trying to block China. isn't it?

So basically, this is your first lie, am I right?

The TFW demand is taking the lack of reciprocity to a entirely new level. In most cases when a foreign company invests in Canada that means jobs for Canadians. But China does not even want to offer that - they want to import their own workers.

I don't know what is TFW. May be they can not hire enough qualified work in Canada in a short time. It is true that no US worker hired in US owned Canada company?

Basically, unless China looks to build a relationship based on mutual benefit rather than simply taking what it wants and blocking Canadian trade everywhere else then we have nothing to discuss with China.

It is mutual benefit. And you are telling another lie if you deny this, and you are abusing the intelligence of the Canadian government member what worked on those field if you deny this.

You are completely delusional if you believe this.

I just tell the truth.

p.p.s. No it isn't. See everyone's responses to your posts.

I am in Canada for more than 10 years, and in China more than this, how many years you have been stay in China? Where is your knowledge came from? books? teachers? media? or other kind of brainwash material? Like people in the "Allegory of the Cave" ?

An acceleration of the availability and volume of Canadian visas accessible to Chinese citizens that the authorities in Beijing would encourage to sojourn in Canada was one of the many demands enumerated less than three months ago by Wang Yi, the Chinese Foreign Minister who made an international spectacle of himself at a press conference by barking at Canadian journalists that they had “no right” to raise questions about human rights in China.

I don't like Wang Yi. I don't think he handle this well. But the journalist has started all those. What he want is just attacking Liberal, so that she can attract more votes from those brainwashed voters. But her behavior is rude to the guests. It is like when I am talking with you, my friend ask me if I have tell you about Sammy Yatim, Robert Dziekański, Dudley George, Residential Schools, smallpox blankets ...

Edited by bjre

I don't know what is TFW. May be they can not hire enough qualified work in Canada in a short time. It is true that no US worker hired in US owned Canada company?

A Chinese company running a mine in Canada claimed it needed TFWs because it could not find enough Chinese speaking miners in Canada. Such requirements are a ridiculous abuse of the system. The only reason China wants TFWs is because they can import cheaper labour. But as I said, if a Chinese company operating in Canada is not willing to hire Canadians for the bulk of their labour force (something which every other foreign corporation has no problem with) then we don't want them here.

It is mutual benefit. And you are telling another lie if you deny this, and you are abusing the intelligence of the Canadian government member what worked on those field if you deny this.

I have very little respect for our current politicians willingness to look out for the best interests of Canada. They are simply too naive.

A Chinese company running a mine in Canada claimed it needed TFWs because it could not find enough Chinese speaking miners in Canada. Such requirements are a ridiculous abuse of the system. The only reason China wants TFWs is because they can import cheaper labour. But as I said, if a Chinese company operating in Canada is not willing to hire Canadians for the bulk of their labour force (something which every other foreign corporation has no problem with) then we don't want them here.

I have very little respect for our current politicians willingness to look out for the best interests of Canada. They are simply too naive.

Zellers acqured by US company Target, and then Target gone, what about those poor Canadian employees? Did you ever care about them?

I have tell you about Sammy Yatim, Robert Dziekański, Dudley George, Residential Schools, smallpox blankets ...

Except in China you are not allowed to talk about these abuses so you pretend they don't happen. Please tell me what would happen to a group of people that gathered in Tiananmen Square on April 15 to remember the massacre? Would the Chinese authorities respect their right of free expression or would they jail them?

Any Canadian is free to read any propaganda the Chinese communist party chooses to print but in China reading something as basic as the NTY requires that the 'great firewall' be circumvented.

Chinese will always be a dangerous player on the world scene as long as it prevents it citizens from having honest conversations about what is going on in the world.

Zellers acqured by US company Target, and then Target gone, what about those poor Canadian employees? Did you ever care about them?

Businesses close all of the time. That is not the issue. If Target insisted on hiring TFWs while it was operating I would be just as annoyed. But they hired Canadian workers. Only Chinese companies are arrogant enough to believe they should be able to import their own people to do work in a foreign country. Edited by TimG

Too many US company in China ask for English speaking employees. When I was in China, I have several job interviews by foreigner, they did not speaking Chinese, that means I will have no chance if I can not speak English.

Businesses close all of the time. That is not the issue. If Target insisted on hiring TFWs while it was operating I would be just as annoyed. But they hired Canadian workers. Only Chinese companies are arrogant enough to believe they should be able to import their own people to do work in a foreign country.

The result is Canadian employee who had a job lost their jobs and you don't care. What you care is only not give China a chance instead of check if Canada can get benefit tool.

Actually, many in the "West" looked forward to the huge trade opportunities with the fastest growing economy and largest population on the planet. Example: China is now GM's largest sales market.

Yeah? And how'd that work out? China might be GM's largest sales market, but it's not selling them cars made in the United States. In fact, it's now importing cars from China to sell in the United States. So how many Americans got jobs as a result of this, huh? None? And what does GM do with whatever profits it makes from it's Chinese built cars that it sells in China? Why, it pumps that back into China because the Chinese government makes it hard to take money out.

• Thanks 1

Except in China you are not allowed to talk about these abuses so you pretend they don't happen. Please tell me what would happen to a group of people that gathered in Tiananmen Square on April 15 to remember the massacre? Would the Chinese authorities respect their right of free expression or would they jail them?

Any Canadian is free to read any propaganda the Chinese communist party chooses to print but in China reading something as basic as the NTY requires that the 'great firewall' be circumvented.

Chinese will always be a dangerous player on the world scene as long as it prevents it citizens from having honest conversations about what is going on in the world.

But in US and Canada, the tiny voice of truth is under the oceans of mainstream media that most people can not hear. For the very small amount of people who know the truth are not able to make others understand it. It is same as what happened in "Allegory of the Cave", and the brainwash continues.

Canada cannot reverse this economic reality, and would be foolish to do so. On balance, having China on side is a very good thing.

Why? What would the cost be if Canada ended all trade with China? We have over a $40 billion trade deficit with them. We can buy their shitty products from a dozen other countries just as cheap, and they buy nothing from us but commodities. We can sell them to anyone.

Too many US company in China ask for English speaking employees. When I was in China, I have several job interviews by foreigner, they did not speaking Chinese, that means I will have no chance if I can not speak English.

Was the requirement for English or English AND Mandarin? Requiring bilingualism is different than asking permission to import monolingual employees who don't speak the language of the country. Asking for English is also not an unreasonable requirement given its wide spread use outside of nominally English speaking countries.

Yeah? And how'd that work out? China might be GM's largest sales market, but it's not selling them cars made in the United States. In fact, it's now importing cars from China to sell in the United States. So how many Americans got jobs as a result of this, huh? None? And what does GM do with whatever profits it makes from it's Chinese built cars that it sells in China? Why, it pumps that back into China because the Chinese government makes it hard to take money out.

American jobs are not taken by China, they are taken by American government, because they ask working people to pay banker's lost, so that the cost of every company rise, that makes American bosses looking for low cost job market such as China or Mexico.

Worked out fine....just like GM operations in any other foreign country...like...ummm...Canada. China is now the largest U.S. trading partner. If Canada/Canadians don't want a piece of the action, then step aside for those who do.