Power Seeking and Backlash Against Female Politicians

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clinton beat Sanders because the DNC wanted her to. Maybe that was because of her accomplishments. Maybe it was because Sanders is the only one of the two Trump might beat.

Again, the race was really close. If there were a bigger discrepancy, sex wouldn't have been the deciding factor.

Hmm, I don't think that's it at all. Prior to the primary campaigns starting, everyone's assumption was that it would simply be a coronation of Hillary on the Democrat's side. Bernie's candidacy was a surprise, and the main reason he posed as strong a challenge as he did was that he appealed to the more progressive wing of the party while Hillary was and remains very much a status quo candidate. I doubt the gender of either candidate played that much of a role. If anything, the main thing that led to Hillary's victory was her ability to rack up a lot of southern primaries early based on her (inexplicable) much higher appeal to black voters.

"Race" trumped gender in American politics back in 2008....Clinton's carefully groomed rise to power never planned on the popularity of a junior "black" senator from Illinois who was a much better orator. It was a setback and lesson learned. The Clintons were bitter about it then but came to accept political realities. Turn lemons into lemonade....become Obama's Sec'y of State.

In 2008, Clinton lost just like any other male candidate, with nothing owed to her because of gender. If she can't beat a Donald Trump, then she doesn't even deserve to win. It shouldn't even be this close....so what is wrong besides "sexism" ?

The attacks against her are unreasonable given her record of achievements even at this current campaign and has more to do with her gender.

Her campaign slogan is I'mWithHer. Practically 90% of the DNC was theme-based I Am Woman Hear Me Roar!

And nobody was supposed to notice? SHE made her gender a political point, this is one repercussion of it. People are gonna talk about it. Maybe she shouldn't have dwelled on it so much.

For the record, as much as I love seeing a woman clinch the nomination, for all the talk about setting an example for all the young girls out there, I really wish that role model wasn't a woman who turned a blind eye to a serial philanderer and I also would've preferred one who attained all that she did on her own accord as opposed to being married to power.

This is not the example I would want to set for my daughter whatsoever.

Her campaign slogan is I'mWithHer. Practically 90% of the DNC was theme-based I Am Woman Hear Me Roar!

And nobody was supposed to notice? SHE made her gender a political point, this is one repercussion of it. People are gonna talk about it. Maybe she shouldn't have dwelled on it so much.

For the record, as much as I love seeing a woman clinch the nomination, for all the talk about setting an example for all the young girls out there, I really wish that role model wasn't a woman who turned a blind eye to a serial philanderer and I also would've preferred one who attained all that she did on her own accord as opposed to being married to power.

This is not the example I would want to set for my daughter whatsoever.

How do you know she turned a blind eye? How do you know how much work they have put into making their marriage last? I'm glad it's still going strong

And you think Hillarys accomplishments resulted because of bill? Is that all you got?

"Race" trumped gender in American politics back in 2008....Clinton's carefully groomed rise to power never planned on the popularity of a junior "black" senator from Illinois who was a much better orator. It was a setback and lesson learned. The Clintons were bitter about it then but came to accept political realities. Turn lemons into lemonade....become Obama's Sec'y of State.

In 2008, Clinton lost just like any other male candidate, with nothing owed to her because of gender. If she can't beat a Donald Trump, then she doesn't even deserve to win. It shouldn't even be this close....so what is wrong besides "sexism" ?

If she can't beat trump I wonder why? Could it be gender based. Naw. Not at all.

How do you know she turned a blind eye? How do you know how much work they have put into making their marriage last? I'm glad it's still going strong

And you think Hillarys accomplishments resulted because of bill? Is that all you got?

We were on the subject of role models, and yes, I do believe a good role model is my daughter is someone who does not stay with a husband who humiliates her over and over again throughout their marriage.

You're free to think that's a positive trait in a woman, I'm just talking about what *I* respect in a woman.

And no, I didn't say she got to where she is because of Bill, I said I would've preferred a first-time woman president whose First Gentleman is not an ex president.

Downplay it all you want, she is not entirely self-made.

If she can't beat trump I wonder why? Could it be gender based. Naw. Not at all.

I don't think so. I hope she does, but if she doesn't, I doubt it will have much to do with her being a woman.

We were on the subject of role models, and yes, I do believe a good role model is my daughter is someone who does not stay with a husband who humiliates her over and over again throughout their marriage.

You're free to think that's a positive trait in a woman, I'm just talking about what *I* respect in a woman.

And no, I didn't say she got to where she is because of Bill, I said I would've preferred a first-time woman president whose First Gentleman is not an ex president.

Downplay it all you want, she is not entirely self-made.

I don't recall the OP saying she is a role model. You said that not me. She has many accomplishments that were achieved on her own. Why are you downplaying them?

You have no idea of the dynamics of their marriage. No one does. They are certainly a political power couple unlike most of us. To think she should behave like you or I is ridiculous.

I don't recall the OP saying she is a role model. You said that not me. She has many accomplishments that were achieved on her own. Why are you downplaying them?

You have no idea of the dynamics of their marriage. No one does. They are certainly a political power couple unlike most of us. To think she should behave like you or I is ridiculous.

I posted earlier about your OP that instead of focusing on HRC the candidate, this campaign has focused on HRC the 'first presidential woman candidate'! I said that she has played the woman card to no end and if it's coming back to bite her, she has nobody to blame but herself.

I then added that while she's made herself the role model for little girls (which she did throughout the convention), then my opinion is she sucks as a role model.

In your response you chose to ignore the first part of my post and only commented on the role model part and now you're asking why the discussion veered this way?

Feel free to acknowledge my earlier point:

Men don't make campaigns about their penises (other than Trump), which probably plays a great role as to why they don't face the same backlash.

Clinton would've been smart to just be HRC the presidential candidate instead of HRC Wonder Woman.

I posted earlier about your OP that instead of focusing on HRC the candidate, this campaign has focused on HRC the 'first presidential woman candidate'! I said that she has played the woman card to no end and if it's coming back to bite her, she has nobody to blame but herself.

I then added that while she's made herself the role model for little girls (which she did throughout the convention), then my opinion is she sucks as a role model.

In your response you chose to ignore the first part of my post and only commented on the role model part and now you're asking why the discussion veered this way?

Feel free to acknowledge my earlier point:

Men don't make campaigns about their penises (other than Trump), which probably plays a great role as to why they don't face the same backlash.

Clinton would've been smart to just be HRC the presidential candidate instead of HRC Wonder Woman.

I have no problem with her playing the female card because it's true! We have had plenty of penises in the game. It's refreshing to have a vagina.

I have no problem with her playing the female card because it's true! We have had plenty of penises in the game. It's refreshing to have a vagina.

You're welcome to that opinion and I respect that, but regarding your OP, I'm saying the backlash isn't necessarily because she has a vagina, it's because she continually reminds everyone that she has a vagina.

Let's put it this way...

Obama made history by becoming the first black president and everyone talked about it and it was awesome to see a black president.

But his campaign wasn't based on his skin colour, it was based on him, the qualified candidate. For the voter, if he happened to make history, great.

If he'd put so much emphasis on his race as HRC did with her gender, he would've faced the same backlash and it would be unfair to cry racism when people talked about it (which is equivalent to what your OP is doing).

Edited by BC_chick

You're welcome to that opinion and I respect that, but regarding your OP, I'm saying the backlash isn't necessarily because she has a vagina, it's because she continually reminds everyone that she has a vagina.

Let's put it this way...

Obama made history by becoming the first black president and everyone talked about it and it was awesome to see a black president.

But his campaign wasn't based on his skin colour, it was based on him, the qualified candidate. For the voter, if he happened to make history, great.

If he'd put so much emphasis on his race as HRC did with her gender, he would've faced the same backlash and it would be unfair to cry racism when people talked about it (which is equivalent to what your OP is doing).

Oh come on. You seriously think she's entitely running her campaign on the fact she's a woman? Get real.

Candidates pull tricks out of their hat throughout their campaign. Pulling the gender card is just another campaign tactic.

Edited by WestCoastRunner