Provincial Government Powers?

A trend is a trend, it is not a justification of itself. There are advantages of centralising powers into one entity but, there are also significant advantages for decentralisation as well. It depends on the capacity of the body in question to have a good lecture of the needs of the people it has to serve. It would be non sense to raise the management of a city's roads to the federal government. When the concern is almost the same for a large number of people, it is a good idea to centralise the power of it to one entity. When the concerns have substential differences according to the régions, it's a good idea to decentralise it. I would definitly not rely on a trend to evaluate that.

I'd separate BC from Canada and join Alaska in a heartbeat given the opportunity.

Hilarious! Bitch about neocons and rednecks all day, then clamour to join AK. Buddy, you have never been there if you think it would a kinder, gentler place. I have been there numerous times. It ain't what you think it is.

Luttwak's book was written in 1960. The last major change happened in 1982. He was wrong because there was a clear tendancy to centralization but, it can be explained by his political positions. I do not know about him but, for some people, Canada will never be enough centralized.

I think Luttwak was talking about centralization as one of the requirements for the ability to stage a coup d'etat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only so far as the federal and provincial governments allow it to.

I don't believe the feds have ever invoked notwithstanding, but several of the provinces have (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Yukon). Note there are limits on its use. First the legislation must be within the jurisdiction of that government (as Alberta found out when they tried to block same sex marriages), and there is a five year limit. Although technically the clause can be reinvoked on the same matter multiple times, history has shown that the province will change their legislation as Quebec did with the language laws.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the trend is towards federalism in Canada.

Canada's underlying dynamics are the vastly different from the states.

One question I wonder, is how is it people in economic equal states like the dakotas, montana, idaho etc afford healthcare compared to saskatchewan, manitoba and Alberta which basically pushed the who universal healthcare whereas their southern neighbours were really against.

The whole state's right thing is about some southern states wanting to hang onto slavery and other states wanting to hang on to oppressing people.