You Wanna Be A Senator?

From what I have seen on this board, there are at least 20 posters who consider themselves political geniuses who know more than those in our government.

Well here is your chance. Just fill out a form and YOU may be chosen to sit in our Senate:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wherry-senate-application-1.3669318

You may wonder of you qualify. Find out at:

https://www.canada.ca/en/campaign/independent-advisory-board-for-senate-appointments.html

You can even apply on-line and if you qualify and convince the hiring team that you are as smart as you think you are then you have a very good job. Go for it:

https://senate-appointments.canada.ca/slctnPrcs.asp?lang=eng&SelectionProcessId={16B60EAB-75B2-4831-90AE-4138E9D100AB}

What criteria would you like to see for appointment to our Senate?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The very first thing listed under "merit-based criteria" is "gender, indigenous, and minority" balance. While such balance may be desirable in the Senate for various reasons, those are hardly "merit-based criteria".

https://www.canada.ca/en/campaign/independent-advisory-board-for-senate-appointments/assessment-criteria.html

The very first thing listed under "merit-based criteria" is "gender, indigenous, and minority" balance. While such balance may be desirable in the Senate for various reasons, those are hardly "merit-based criteria".

https://www.canada.ca/en/campaign/independent-advisory-board-for-senate-appointments/assessment-criteria.html

If two candidates have the same qualifications and one brings 'balance', the other not,not course it's merit- based criteria.

If two candidates have the same qualifications and one brings 'balance', the other not,not course it's merit- based criteria.

Yeah... you'd think "balance" would be brought based on the content of a person's beliefs and positions, rather than the color of their skin or what's between their legs. No?

Where does it say that?[/quote

Where it says 'priority will be given to those who bring balance'.

It says nothing about it being a tie breaker. I don't have a problem with attempting to make the Senate a reflection our population but merit is not measured by who your parents were.

Yeah... you'd think "balance" would be brought based on the content of a person's beliefs and positions, rather than the color of their skin or what's between their legs. No?

No. Balance is about the equal representation.

It says nothing about it being a tie breaker. I don't have a problem with attempting to make the Senate a reflection our population but merit is not measured by who your parents were.

Priority will be given is not the same thing as having quotas (your interpretation).

Don't be ridiculous. If I got a job simply because I was a white male, would you say I got it on merit? I sure wouldn't.

Part of the job of the Senate is to represent Canadians and their diversity - it's merit in this case.

Edited by Smallc

Part of the job of the Senate is to represent Canadians and their diversity - it's merit in this case.

I understand why they are doing it and actually approve. I'm not saying the people chosen aren't qualified ( although sometimes you wonder) but being chosen for something based on your race has nothing to do with merit. Pick another word.

No it isn't, if you insist on using race as a basis of determining merit, you are a racist my friend. It may be a qualification and that's OK with me but it has nothing to do with merit Using the term "merit" is a perversion of the word.

mer·it

ˈmerət/
noun
  1. 1.
    the quality of being particularly good or worthy, especially so as to deserve praise or reward.
    "composers of outstanding merit"
    synonyms: excellence, quality, caliber, worth, worthiness, credit, value, distinction, eminence
    "composers of outstanding merit"
verb
  1. 1.
    deserve or be worthy of (something, especially reward, punishment, or attention).
    "the results have been encouraging enough to merit further investigation"