Coyne gets All Freudian on The Right Honourable PM

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's clear like the Conservative Income Trust promise. sometimes, things that made sense in opposition no longer make sense in government.

True - but holy cow.....so many, so quickly. That said, let's wait for the budget - that'll tell us a lot. Will they hold down spending promises to focus on economic investment - infrastructure and jobs..... will the taps be wide open - deficit and debt be damned? On top of that, setting a budget is one thing - managing and sticking to it is quite another. Canadians don't seem to be too accepting of a runaway budget. It'll be an interesting year, that's for sure.

Oh, and F-18 is still within our budget - there just won't be any money left over.

No, it isn't, not spread over 65 aircraft.............hence there will be no savings to invest in the navy, from not selecting the F-35 (even though Canada is still a member of the program)........

And that is Coyne's point......they made all sorts of bunk promises.

At this point, only 3 promises have been broken - two of them to do with timeline, and not actual substance. That's pretty common for a new government. Coyne is jumping the gun, as are you.

True - but holy cow.....so many, so quickly.

That said, let's wait for the budget - that'll tell us a lot. Will they hold down spending promises to focus on economic investment - infrastructure and jobs..... will the taps be wide open - deficit and debt be damned? On top of that, setting a budget is one thing - managing and sticking to it is quite another. Canadians don't seem to be too accepting of a runaway budget. It'll be an interesting year, that's for sure.

You'll filet them if the run a bigger deficit (mostly due to a softening financial position) and you'll filet them if they break their promises to keep the deficit smaller. They won't convince you.

At this point, only 3 promises have been broken - two of them to do with timeline, and not actual substance. That's pretty common for a new government. Coyne is jumping the gun, as are you.

No, Coyne is pointing out the dishonest promises made by the Liberals during the election......the inclusion of the F-35 into the Hornet replacement program is a broken promise.....likewise, their claim that any savings, which there won't be, could be invested in the Navy.

No, Coyne is pointing out the dishonest promises made by the Liberals during the election......the inclusion of the F-35 into the Hornet replacement program is a broken promise

There hasn't been a competition, last I checked. Also, they promised not to buy it. They didn't promise not to let it compete.

.....likewise, their claim that any savings, which there won't be, could be invested in the Navy.

Right, our currency has taken a huge dive, for some reason that escapes me at the moment.

Besides, you told me they won't buy anything - nothing to worry about, remember.

Right - far less than $9B total.

A proposed purchase plan for 65 F-35s at ~$85 million per, when the Canadian dollar was near parity with the American dollar.........Super Hornets at over $100 million Canadian don't fit inside said budget.

Edited by Derek 2.0

There hasn't been a competition, last I checked. Also, they promised not to buy it. They didn't promise not to let it compete.

Are you suggesting the competition they promised won't be fair and is designed to preclude the F-35?

Right, our currency has taken a huge dive, for some reason that escapes me at the moment.

Besides, you told me they won't buy anything - nothing to worry about, remember.

No, we won't buy anything, unless the Liberals allot Billions more they don't have into defense, because the Canadian dollar is worth slightly more than Canadian Tire money.

A proposed purchase plan for 65 F-35s at ~$85 million per, when the Canadian dollar was near parity with the American dollar.........Super Hornets at over $100 million Canadian don't inside said budget.

Whatever - it's pretty easy to do the math.

Are you suggesting the competition they promised won't be fair and is designed to preclude the F-35?

Do I work for the Liberals? It will be done in a way that legally excludes the F-35, somehow.

No, we won't buy anything, unless the Liberals allot Billions more they don't have into defense, because the Canadian dollar is worth slightly more than Canadian Tire money.

I know you don't understand where procurement money is in the budget. I'm not having the discussion again.

Do I work for the Liberals? It will be done in a way that legally excludes the F-35, somehow.

Source?

I know you don't understand where procurement money is in the budget. I'm not having the discussion again.

Feel free to present where the Liberals have put aside billions for new fighters, and billions more to make up for our slumping dollar.

I think , we are purchasing more than just 65 Plain jane F-35, there was talk of wpns, spare parts, sims, and a lot more...when you translate all that that comes with this contract the F-18's at 100 mil a copy, plus all the extras plus adjust for our dollars value and now we are way over 9 bil.....which means what exactly....i'm just guessing here but I think when they redefine Canada's new role or Canada's commitments we are going to see a number smaller than 65.....Which most have thought was short to start with....

Not to mention the under funded Navy program, which was going to be saved with excess airforce dollars .....So not only have they not kept the "any thing but f 35 promise, but sank the navy only saving grace to that program....I guess we stay tuned to later when they announce decreased naval numbers as well....or an readjustment to the entire shipbuilding project.....

You'll filet them if the run a bigger deficit (mostly due to a softening financial position) and you'll filet them if they break their promises to keep the deficit smaller. They won't convince you.

They promised "modest" deficits of no more than $10 billion. You yourself have agreed that the degraded economy might lead to a $5 billion revenue shortfall. So I would accept a $15 billion budget. Does that sound like filleting? Look, these guys are the government for the next 4 years - whether we like it or not......and for Canada's sake, I hope they'll do more right things than wrong - but it starts and ends with the economy and jobs right now - right now! As I said, the budget will tell us a lot. The spirit of their election promise was to run a deficit to strengthen the economy - so any spending over the $10 or $15 billion should clearly target economic growth - and nothing more......and if not, we should hold them to account.