Syrian refugees coming to Canada.

taxme

I think what we really have here is a heroic effort by the civil service to salvage what they could of a sci-fi campaign promise - and make no mistake - getting 25,000 refugees into Canada in 3 months is a huge accomplishment....but to recap how over-the-top that election promise was - 25,000 government sponsored refugees in Canada by end of last year: as of now - only half of the 25,000 have made it here, the rest being privately sponsored - thousands of whom were already "in process" when the Liberals took power. The government has stated that the remaining 12,000 or so government-sponsored refugees will be relocated by the end of 2016 - fully one year year, or roughly 5 times as long as promised.

So phase one is accomplished and we'll now start to find out - 1) How long government-sponsored refugees will wait for housing. 2) Will they go on a waiting list with other refugees and Canadians - or will they jump the queue and 3) How will other refugees waiting to come to Canada be affected.

It is also my understanding that government-assisted refugees are funded by the Feds for one year only. If a significant number are unemployable for at least a few years through language issues or no male member to support a family.....it would appear those costs would revert to the cities and provinces.

In short, the story has not yet unfolded. But so far - a huge applause to the civil service - and a black eye to the government for such an outlandish, manipulative campaign promise.

Edited by SunnyWays

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what we really have here is a heroic effort by the civil service to salvage what they could of a sci-fi campaign promise - and make no mistake - getting 25,000 refugees into Canada in 3 months is a huge accomplishment....but to recap how over-the-top that election promise was - 25,000 government sponsored refugees in Canada by end of last year: as of now - only half of the 25,000 have made it here, the rest being privately sponsored - thousands of whom were already "in process" when the Liberals took power. The government has stated that the remaining 12,000 or so government-sponsored refugees will be relocated by the end of 2016 - fully one year year, or roughly 5 times as long as promised.

So phase one is accomplished and we'll now start to find out - 1) How long government-sponsored refugees will wait for housing. 2) Will they go on a waiting list with other refugees and Canadians - or will they jump the queue and 3) How will other refugees waiting to come to Canada be affected.

It is also my understanding that government-assisted refugees are funded by the Feds for one year only. If a significant number are unemployable for at least a few years through language issues or no male member to support a family.....it would appear those costs would revert to the cities and provinces.

In short, the story has not yet unfolded. But so far - a huge applause to the civil service - and a black eye to the government for such an outlandish, manipulative campaign promise.

The last of the 25k arrived yesterday or day before. Try again.

While our senior citizen's on pension are going to get a raise of $0.55 cents on their pension checks because there is just no more money in the piggy bank to hand out we certainly have no problem finding lots and lots of money for our new guests.

No - that's because there was no inflation last year. You are aware, I hope, that one of the central promises of the Liberal campaign was to raise GIS - a top up given to the poorest seniors to ensure they meet the minimums - by 10%. They have also promised to create a seniors price index, raising government pensions for all seniors by 1 - 2%. I'm sure you must be very happy with those Liberal promises.

The last of the 25k arrived yesterday or day before. Try again.

Why the smart response? I don't think you even read what was posted. As I said though - regardless of the failure to come close to the campaign promise of 25,000 government-sponsored refugees by the end of last year, the bureaucracy made a commendable and herculean effort to accomplish as much as they did. Even John McCallum deserves credit for making chicken salad out of chicken feathers with his dizzying array of numbers.

Why the smart response? I don't think you even read what was posted. As I said though - regardless of the failure to come close to the campaign promise of 25,000 government-sponsored refugees by the end of last year, the bureaucracy made a commendable and herculean effort to accomplish as much as they did. Even John McCallum deserves credit for making chicken salad out of chicken feathers with his dizzying array of numbers.

Why the dumb response? The government did not promise to bring in 25k government sponsored refugees. They did promise a mix of gov./private sponsored. But yes they didn't get it done in the original time frame, but they got it done.

I don't think you understand the purpose of this enormous endeavor and its costs. It was to look good in front of the cameras and help the Liberals get elected.

No amount of heroic efforts (by government paid employees) and no amount of dawn to dusk work (with hefty overtime fees) and no amount of funding for travel and transport, for food and lodging, for health care and welfare over the coming years matters a single bit compared to Justin Trudeau being able to raise his chin in the air and proclaim how truly noble and caring he and his party are. So it'll cost billions of dollars. What does that mater to a liberal?

Why the dumb response? The government did not promise to bring in 25k government sponsored refugees. They did promise a mix of gov./private sponsored. But yes they didn't get it done in the original time frame, but they got it done.

Here's their commitment - from the Liberal Website......and in the news - and lastly, in Trudeau's own words.

OTTAWA – A Liberal government will take immediate action to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada and address this tragic humanitarian crisis, said Liberals today.

“Canadians can and must do more to help Syrian refugees who are desperately seeking safety. This is about showing leadership and doing what is right as Canadians,” said Liberal candidate for Notre-Dame-de-Grâce–Westmount, Marc Garneau. “Since March, Justin Trudeau has been calling on the Canadian government to immediately accept 25,000 government-sponsored Syrian refugees. Canadians expect action on this issue from their government.”

A Liberal government would:

• Expand Canada’s intake to 25,000 refugees from Syria through immediate, direct sponsorship by the Government of Canada. We will also work with private sponsors to intake even more;
  • Invest at least an additional $100 million this fiscal year to increase – without reducing standards – refugee processing, as well as sponsorship and settlement services capacity in Canada; and
  • Provide an immediate $100 million new contribution to the United Nations High Commission for Refugees to support the critical relief activities in Syria and the surrounding area.
Link: https://www.liberal.ca/liberals-commit-to-leadership-on-syrian-refugee-crisis/

Each day this week, Metro is taking an in-depth look at some of the immediate items on prime minister-designate Justin Trudeau’s to-do list. Today, we examine his promise to bring 25,000 government-sponsored Syrian refugees to Canada by year-end.

When the Syrian refugee crisis seized the federal election campaign in early September, Justin Trudeau’s proposal was arguably the most ambitious of the party leaders: He promised the Liberals would bring 25,000 government-sponsored Syrian refugees to Canada by the end of the year.

Link: http://www.metronews.ca/features/justin-trudeau-promises/2015/10/28/logistics-defy-justin-trudeau-refugee-vow.html

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was asked at a news conference today about making good on his refugee promise, and specifically about the distinction between private and government sponsorship. “We’ve looked at various ways of bringing these people, but our promise was indeed to bring 25,000 government-sponsored refugees,” Trudeau said.

Link: http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/government-relying-on-private-refugee-sponsorship/

I don't think you understand the purpose of this enormous endeavor and its costs. It was to look good in front of the cameras and help the Liberals get elected.

No amount of heroic efforts (by government paid employees) and no amount of dawn to dusk work (with hefty overtime fees) and no amount of funding for travel and transport, for food and lodging, for health care and welfare over the coming years matters a single bit compared to Justin Trudeau being able to raise his chin in the air and proclaim how truly noble and caring he and his party are. So it'll cost billions of dollars. What does that mater to a liberal?

And all of Canada, even conservatives, will be able to once again hold their heads high because Canada will be again involved in something it has a reputation around the world for, namely the successful integration of the less fortunate. And especially when these particular less fortunate's are fleeing a 5 year war.

I understand all too well - and the bills haven't even started to come in - and the problems have not had time to arise or fester - as I alluded to. My point is that in spite of the crass politics, there are people behind the scenes who have made the very best of a bad situation - over the Christmas holidays, no less. So I applaud the non-partisan hard work of people just trying to do their jobs.

No - that's because there was no inflation last year. You are aware, I hope, that one of the central promises of the Liberal campaign was to raise GIS - a top up given to the poorest seniors to ensure they meet the minimums - by 10%. They have also promised to create a seniors price index, raising government pensions for all seniors by 1 - 2%. I'm sure you must be very happy with those Liberal promises.

So, who should come first? Canadians or strangers? I believe that Canadians should get the money that is being wasted on these strangers who have contributed nothing to the Canadian tax dollar pool. It would appear as though strangers are more important to some Canadians rather than their own. That I find shocking.

And all of Canada, even conservatives, will be able to once again hold their heads high because Canada will be again involved in something it has a reputation around the world for, namely the successful integration of the less fortunate. And especially when these particular less fortunate's are fleeing a 5 year war.

Well that's nice, but lets just make it clear for the folks at home, they didnt do what they said they could do, while they vilified the other guys for not doing it as fast as they said they could, while everyone knew they couldnt, and ultimately didnt, while using the unfortunate drowning of one child, something that had nothing to do with us, to political advantage. An incredibly scummy thing to do. But, having no apearent principles of your own, you don't care about those facts and are content to deflect away from the truth, of course you aren't alone.

Well that's nice, but lets just make it clear for the folks at home, they didnt do what they said they could do, while they vilified the other guys for not doing it as fast as they said they could, while everyone knew they couldnt, and ultimately didnt, while using the unfortunate drowning of one child, something that had nothing to do with us, to political advantage. An incredibly scummy thing to do. But, having no apearent principles of your own, you don't care about those facts and are content to deflect away from the truth, of course you aren't alone.

There were a lot more than one child drowned fleeing from a war zone, and a lot more killed within that war zone, and historically those things do mean something to us. Those are the facts. The fact the government had to alter the time frame of their initial pledge does nothing to change them. So try to deflect all you want. But I doubt you'll get far. Canadians are made of sterner stuff.

There were a lot more than one child drowned fleeing from a war zone, and a lot more killed within that war zone, and historically those things do mean something to us. Those are the facts. The fact the government had to alter the time frame of their initial pledge does nothing to change them. So try to deflect all you want. But I doubt you'll get far. Canadians are made of sterner stuff.

I dont know why you waste your time, you do the same things on every subject you whish to defend even if it is indefensible, your guys made promises, lied about the other guys, used the 'conservatives are mean', just look at that dead boy narrative, and they won an election, then failed to do what they promised to do in spite of being just simply better people, that's it, that's all. It was all BS, and you don't care, because they won. So high minded. At least it would be honest if you just admitted it instead of deflecting away from what is obviously true, it would be a breath of fresh air.

They still took in a larger number of refugees faster than anyone else planned to.

No doubt. Step back a minute and visualize a good number of those refugees stuck in hotels with small children who are unable to venture outside to play, many of them plopped in communities in the dead of winter. What I would like to see down the road is the number of those 25,000 refugees who opt to return from whence they came, be it refugee camp or bombed out native city because they see that as a better alternative than was presented to them upon arriving here. Do you think the government will make those numbers available to us?

No doubt. Step back a minute and visualize a good number of those refugees stuck in hotels with small children who are unable to venture outside to play,

With half of them settled in homes so far - more every day.

many of them plopped in communities in the dead of winter.

Yes, it's winter here.

What I would like to see down the road is the number of those 25,000 refugees who opt to return from whence they came

How is that important?

be it refugee camp or bombed out native city because they see that as a better alternative than was presented to them upon arriving here. Do you think the government will make those numbers available to us?

Why would that suddenly now be important?

I dont know why you waste your time, you do the same things on every subject you whish to defend even if it is indefensible, your guys made promises, lied about the other guys, used the 'conservatives are mean', just look at that dead boy narrative, and they won an election, then failed to do what they promised to do in spite of being just simply better people, that's it, that's all. It was all BS, and you don't care, because they won. So high minded. At least it would be honest if you just admitted it instead of deflecting away from what is obviously true, it would be a breath of fresh air.

We now have 25k Syrian refugees on Canadian soil. The government's timeline has had to be extended, but in all likelihood the promise will be fulfilled. Not much defending required. But keep trying if you must.

With half of them settled in homes so far - more every day.

Yes, it's winter here.

How is that important?

Why would that suddenly now be important?

Obviously, you don't think it's important to measure the effectiveness of a given government program or process. What's more important to Liberals than the welfare and well being of refugees is the opportunity to blow their horn and thump their chest. "Look at us. We did it. We're the best." Now, they're planning on bringing in more refugees even when they haven't properly looked after the bunch they already brought here. Sad, really.

I'm not sure I share your views on arbitrary criteria.

I take it you don't believe that knowing the rate of refugees returning from where we recruited them is a significant matter to consider. That's OK. I don't think the Liberals would tell us the numbers, even if they bothered to collect such information.

On the matter of the Liberals bringing in more Syrian refugees, they should at the very least fix the problem of finding appropriate housing for them. It's a major issue of concern reported in the media.

I always held my head up, though now that we have a glee club leader as PM I might have to wear a mask.

I take it you don't believe that knowing the rate of refugees returning from where we recruited them is a significant matter to consider.

Refugees leave because the place they are from is currently a hell hole. It doesn't always stay that way.

On the matter of the Liberals bringing in more Syrian refugees, they should at the very least fix the problem of finding appropriate housing for them.

Apparently, about 13,000 of them have housing. Within a couple of months, the rest should be sorted out. The sky isn't falling.

I'm relatively new to this forum but I would think going from a smart response (keep trying) to an insulting one (why the dumb response) on an issue that you have clearly been proven wrong.....deserves at least an acknowledgement, if not an apology?

Refugees leave because the place they are from is currently a hell hole. It doesn't always stay that way.

I think it would be useful to collect that information.

Apparently, about 13,000 of them have housing. Within a couple of months, the rest should be sorted out. The sky isn't falling.

Let's revisit in a couple of months and see where we're at then. I sense this will present more of a problem than the Liberals anticipated.