B.C. condo language dispute sparks human rights complaint (merged with

Boges

I really don't understand why the principal of encouraging people from different backgrounds to be neighbors is not something you believe in.

I don't have a problem with that, not at all, but people will live where they feel most comfortable. For example, the west end is predominantly a gay community and is the go to neighbourhood for newly arrived gay residents to Vancouver. Do you have a problem with the west end becoming a mostly gay community?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic lefty smear. When you can't address the arguments you attack the person. Living in Richmond does give a perspective that others do not have but that does not make my arguments in invalid.

As I said: I really don't understand why the principal of encouraging people from different backgrounds to be neighbors is not something you believe in.

No smear here. Just stating the obvious.

Argus, you apparently don't like ethnic enclaves and yet there is nothing more certain to keep us is in our enclaves than the things you prescribe and preach. You're really sure this is the way forward?

Really? How about you tell me what I "prescribe and preach" which is likely to lead to ethnic enclaves. Perhaps I can learn and reform my opinions.

Really? How about you tell me what I "prescribe and preach" which is likely to lead to ethnic enclaves. Perhaps I can learn and reform my opinions.

Perhaps your insistence that immigrants/refugees don't like to work, live off welfare, folks you don't normally engage with.

You can't handle criticism is my guess.

You still have not addressed my point:

As I said: I really don't understand why the principal of encouraging people from different backgrounds to be neighbors is not something you believe in.

Why don't you explain why encouraging people to live in ghettos is consistent with your vision of Canada instead of throwing insults.

I live in the Province of Quebec and think Bill 101 goes too far by infringing on the linguistic freedom of the private sector. If a business wants to advertise only in Klingon, it should be free to do so.

Suppose you were born in Richmond, grew up there, spent your whole life there. This is your home. There were no Chinese when you grew up, but over the last thirty years they began to arrive in droves. They bought up businesses, opened stores, and refused to communicate in English. Now every store's advertising and brochures are in Mandarin. The clerks only speak Mandarin. Why, even the condo board at your condominium only speaks Mandarin.

What was your home for your entire life is now a foreign country to you, and you are not welcome in it. Do you believe this is fair? Do you think government should try to avoid that happening?

You still have not addressed my point:

Why don't you explain why encouraging people to live in ghettos is consistent with your vision of Canada instead of throwing insults.

I don't have a problem with that. However, it doesn't matter to me where people choose to live. I have no intentions of telling people where they should live.

I don't have a problem with that. However, it doesn't matter to me where people choose to live. I have no intentions of telling people where they should live.

So you have no problems with a condo saying that no black owners are allowed on strata councils? Edited by TimG

Suppose you were born in Richmond, grew up there, spent your whole life there. This is your home. There were no Chinese when you grew up, but over the last thirty years they began to arrive in droves. They bought up businesses, opened stores, and refused to communicate in English. Now every store's advertising and brochures are in Mandarin. The clerks only speak Mandarin. Why, even the condo board at your condominium only speaks Mandarin.

What was your home for your entire life is now a foreign country to you, and you are not welcome in it. Do you believe this is fair? Do you think government should try to avoid that happening?

I knew it wasn't long before you weighed in on this, except you don't live here!

Can you say what you mean. I can't read between the lines.

Well, you said this:

You are in denial if you think neighbourhoods won't be created because of their natural bonding

And then this:

Living as a white guy in Richmond, I think you have more of a hidden agenda here.

It sounds like, and correct me if I am wrong here, that you are excusing certain races from wanting to be a part of a neighbourhood as a result of "natural bonding", but not others.

Well, you said this:

And then this:

It sounds like, and correct me if I am wrong here, that you are excusing certain races from wanting to be a part of a neighbourhood as a result of "natural bonding", but not others.

I don't get the 'not others'. And my iPhone is about to die. Chat later.

For crying out loud! I told you I agree that English translation services should be in place. Don't twist this around.

Then why are we debating? My argument is that translation services are required because clearly a large number of the owners are not comfortable in English. You are the one defending the councils refusal to provide translation services. Edited by TimG

I don't get the 'not others'. And my iPhone is about to die. Chat later.

It sounded like you were implying a poster wanted Richmond to be a certain way. White, to be specific. I was wondering why you didn't afford white folks the same leeway you might afford others, given the first quote of yours I posted.

Edited by bcsapper

I rarely comment on Ontario topics even though I grew up there. My point is, you have no reference point to Richmond, BC.

Your point is irrelevant. This is not something which affects only Richmond or only BC. It is a situation caused by our national immigration system, and the question of how to address ethnic enclaves and the reason why having them is not desirable are also national issues.

Your point is irrelevant. This is not something which affects only Richmond or only BC. It is a situation caused by our national immigration system, and the question of how to address ethnic enclaves and the reason why having them is not desirable are also national issues.

I have seen no valid reason to not have them.

Seriously? National issues.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

It sounded like you were implying a poster wanted Richmond to be a certain way. White, to be specific. I was wondering why you didn't afford white folks the same leeway you might afford others, given the first quote of yours I posted.

I don't care where people live and I don't believe anyone should dictate where people live. I haven't seen a response on my gay west end community living. Should this demographic be discouraged?