Wind Turbines in Lake Erie

The state of Ohio is planning 1000 wind turbines in thier side of Lake Erie, the Canadian side has none because the people who get their drinking water from the lake don't want to disturb the ground at the bottom of the lake which holds many toxin things. IF they do get a 1000 turbines in, I wonder if the shipping industry is going to have a tough time moving into their harbours and ports and what if any, damage could be done over time from the ice in the winter. http://www.lfpress.com/2015/11/29/ohio-group-moving-ahead-with-big-plans-to-harness-lake-eries-wind

The difference is that the Ohio turbines are going to be place well offshore while the Ontario ones were going to be close to shore. Maybe that's something we should think of.

They're looking at 5 GW of power, nothing to sneeze at.

I agree. I grew up in close proximity to Lake Erie and spent many summers on the Great Lakes. It would definitely be an eyesore but if they can be located so they are just a spec on the horizon from the water then why not. It sounds like there is a lot of high quality consistent wind from these lakes, although not sure how they would handle the Ontario winters so close to the lakes.

There are already hundreds of underwater capped gas wells near the Canadian side. Maybe they could be used as concrete bases for these wind turbines. Commercial companies have already bid for and won contracts to build on the Canadian off shore on Erie. Most of the infrastructure is already in place to bring the energy across Ontario through the wind turbines on the North Shore.

We will soon see wind turbines built off shore on North Erie.

My understanding why most people don't want them is what lays on the bottom of the lake and some of that stuff could be dangerous for drinking water and then if they can't take it out of the water, then many communities would be up the creek, so to speak, for drinking water.

We live near the North shore of Lake Erie in Norfolk County. That is not one of the reasons that I have seen for those who oppose wind turbines. Lake Erie is a very shallow lake. When a good storm comes up, the bottom is often churned up. After a storm you can often find remnants of very old shipwrecks on some beaches, remnants which disappear during the next storm.

My understanding why most people don't want them is what lays on the bottom of the lake and some of that stuff could be dangerous for drinking water and then if they can't take it out of the water, then many communities would be up the creek, so to speak, for drinking water.

I've swum in Lake Erie-if people are drinking that crud they have some nasty surprises waiting down the road.