CPC Leadership Predictions

That's fine I suppose if they're from the prairies, I mean Joe Clark was from the prairies and he was a very broadly likeable PC conservative.

There was very little 'conservative' about Clark. Anyway, he might have been from the prairies, but he had the sense to attend law school in Quebec. That was what made him acceptable and not considered an outsider like Harper.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody would vote for someone who actually was one of those. That wouldn't stop the left from making the accusation against someone who was not far enough to the left for their liking.

Any leader who does not have the proper credentials, ie, is not from the proper schools in central Canada, will be subjected to the relentless hostility and contempt of the academic/media/artistic/political elites.

Personally, I'd rather history dealt with him honestly. We can't improve if we can't admit our mistakes. Still, I've heard people claim that Hitler was a great leader who saved Germany but just went mad at the end and less than a year ago, a huge crowd celebrated Stalin's 135th birthday so I'm sure there will be lots of people who will be in permanent denial about Harper too.

Your remarks comparing Harper with Hitler and Stalin are infantile.

Chretien had enough brains to stay out of Iraq, while Harper supported going in. So yeah, comparing the two is wrong.

Chretien got us into Afghanistan, which was worse and lasted longer. Why in Christ does he get so much credit for this?

Your remarks comparing Harper with Hitler and Stalin are infantile.

I never compared him with Hitler or Stalin - I just used them as extreme examples of how people will distort circumstances or focus on particular elements to defend any leader. People have found ways to glorify Hitler and Stalin so it's understandable that people can find ways to portray Harper as a great leader.

Maybe because he knew the difference between what was an illegal war, and one that wasn't.

Spare me your fatuous technical arguments on the legality of bombing the shit out of some scumbag. The results for Canada were that we lost a couple of hundred people to no real purpose in Afghanistan, where we likely would have taken far fewer casualties in Iraq.

I never compared him with Hitler or Stalin - I just used them as extreme examples of how people will distort circumstances or focus on particular elements to defend any leader.

Oh spare me. What you produced was an example of hyperbolic ideological hatred, which, by the way, would have been more at home Stalin or Hitler than Harper.

History is far too kind to PET.

interest rate at 21% for a start. The NEP...

The fact that anyone likes PET is insane. Justin's dad was a swine.

No, he was an intellectual who had grand visions and wanted to do well but lacked patience for the small details, including the grubby business of worrying about money.

And, btw, we can no more blame him for 21% interest rates than we can blame Harper for the recession. Of course, if he hadn't borrowed money hand over fist the 21% interest rates would not have damaged us so badly and caused the even higher buildup of debt.

Edited by Argus

Oh spare me. What you produced was an example of hyperbolic ideological hatred, which, by the way, would have been more at home Stalin or Hitler than Harper.

Spare yourself. I pointed out that any leader can be portrayed in a positive light by someone who is sufficiently ideologically motivated. The people who are now working overtime trying to salvage Harper's reputation are being pathetic.

Anyone who can honestly call Harper a great leader should study up on the art of leadership.

Spare yourself. I pointed out that any leader can be portrayed in a positive light by someone who is sufficiently ideologically motivated. The people who are now working overtime trying to salvage Harper's reputation are being pathetic.

Anyone who can honestly call Harper a great leader should study up on the art of leadership.

You hate Harper, we get it. I hate that pathetic PM designate we have because I believe the people who think he will drive change to Ottawa are delusional.

All that man child knows is how to spend money, and lots of it.

You hate Harper, we get it. I hate that pathetic PM designate we have because I believe the people who think he will drive change to Ottawa are delusional.

All that man child knows is how to spend money, and lots of it.

Man child? Pathetic? That's the best you can come up with? This post is nothing but bashing with no facts to support it. You are talking out of your ass.

What is a great leader? I think people are mistaking success for greatness. He was a succesful leader, and even into his final year many polls showed people felt he would be a better leader than Trudeau and Mulcair, despite his obvious shortcomings in the charisma department.

A great leader, however, would have been able to rally more of the herd into believing in his views rather than bending his views to accomodate the thoughts of the herd.

Spare me your fatuous technical arguments on the legality of bombing the shit out of some scumbag. The results for Canada were that we lost a couple of hundred people to no real purpose in Afghanistan, where we likely would have taken far fewer casualties in Iraq.

Perhaps you don't understand the UN conventions on what is a legal war. Or perhaps fatuousness is just your domain.

A great leader, however, would have been able to rally more of the herd into believing in his views rather than bending his views to accomodate the thoughts of the herd.

I think you're confusing dictator with leader. In a democracy, a leader is supposed to care what people think and say.

Maybe some Canadians hate Harper but for me, I don't know him personally but I hated how he ran the government and how he acted in Parliament in QP and how he never apologized for anything until...he lost. I don't like the way he interfered in the senate business and all the scams and schemes, and times to the Supreme Court fighting in court just to lose and all the half truths, the lies etc. etc. etc.

Perhaps you don't understand the UN conventions on what is a legal war. Or perhaps fatuousness is just your domain.

They say a lawyer would defend Hitler, and get him off scott free if he could, because nothing matters but the law, however you bend or twist it. It requires no sense of morality, ethics or moral values.

I could not possibly care less what UN conventions say about anything whatsoever. I think the UN is nothing but a collection of dictators, murders and thieves. Those who seek to guide their actions according to the approval of such an organization rather than acting out of morality or even common sense are those who should never be allowed near any power whatever.

I think you're confusing dictator with leader. In a democracy, a leader is supposed to care what people think and say.

A leader leads. You seem to want a follower. A follower constantly seeks the polls to find out where the bandwagon is headed, then runs to jump aboard.

They say a lawyer would defend Hitler, and get him off scott free if he could, because nothing matters but the law, however you bend or twist it. It requires no sense of morality, ethics or moral values.

I could not possibly care less what UN conventions say about anything whatsoever. I think the UN is nothing but a collection of dictators, murders and thieves. Those who seek to guide their actions according to the approval of such an organization rather than acting out of morality or even common sense are those who should never be allowed near any power whatever.

So but you are OK with lying about reasons to invade a country, such as WMD. Let's hope you never get near any power!

So but you are OK with lying about reasons to invade a country, such as WMD. Let's hope you never get near any power!

I don't know if they were lying so much as mistaken, and then determined to convince others that their belief was true. I don't believe I have ever, at any point, expressed admiration or approval for the intelligence or abilities of the Bush administration. I simply can't think of any logical reason for them to invade Iraq if they didn't think there were WMDs there. And no, sorry, I'm not buying into any conspiracy theories which involve arms manufacturers.