How will I vote in the Manitoba Provincial Election 2016

The PCs will most likely be campaigning on spending cuts, living within our means, getting our credit rating back, etc. Do you support that?

They will likely not run on cutting infrastructure or health spending. If they do, they'll lose - it's that simple. We can't afford to cut health spending, and cutting infrastructure spending will only begin to again widen the infrastructure deficit that we're finally managing to shrink.

As to getting our credit rating back, you do realize that the NDP actually had 2 increased (or was it 3?) in the rating before the latest cut. If we're going to go back to the way it was under the last PC government we'll have to actually endure a couple more downgrades.

Edited by Smallc

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will likely not run on cutting infrastructure or health spending. If they do, they'll lose - it's that simple. We can't afford to cut health spending, and cutting infrastructure spending will only begin to again widen the infrastructure deficit that we're finally managing to shrink.

They have no choice. That spending must be reduced. They can either be honest and explain why, or they can lie just to get elected, and do it anyway once they get in.

Cutting spending does not have to mean cutting back on care, or on infrastructure. There is a lot of waste in government, this provincial NDP especially so. Disband WRHA, allow private diagnostic clinics (more private healthcare across the board) so that people of means are not taking up the public resources needed by those without. Get rid of cost-plus infrastructure contracts. We have projects where the winning bid was a fraction of what the final bill is. Other provinces don't do this -- if you're over-budget that's on you.

As to getting our credit rating back, you do realize that the NDP actually had 2 increased (or was it 3?) in the rating before the latest cut. If we're going to go back to the way it was under the last PC government we'll have to actually endure a couple more downgrades.

That's because they were keeping two sets of books, posting official balanced budgets that were really deep in the hole. They changed the laws so that they only had to post the real numbers once every 4 years. The previous PCs were faced with the same situation they are now -- cleaning up the NDP mess. Massive cuts are absolutely required whether anyone likes it or not.

I do believe the Tories are going to cut health care to 3%, after 2017, which then the provinces have to make up the different, which mean health care is going to be a mess and provinces may increase user fees, thank you federal Tories.

Actually the provinces have not been keeping pace as it is. Money isn't the fix, but neither are cuts.

You guys should probably point out in the OP just what province you're talking about. I assume it's Manitoba, but only because of the reference to 'this NDP government" in a followup post.

Sorry, you're right. I moved it from another thread and didn't think about it.

• 5 months later...

It's the only rational option right now.

It's too bad - I really like my MLA (I live in the Swan River riding)....I just can't cast a vote for him knowing who his boss is. The PCs won me over with their platform today. Their steady, careful approach along with their promise to index tax rates to inflation did it.

Edited by Smallc

The part that got me (if I wasn't already onboard) was that Pallister refused to make any promises about what he will NOT cut. "There are no sacred cows, waste will be cut where ever it is found" is smart policy, we need to see more of that from leaders of all levels.

The part that got me (if I wasn't already onboard) was that Pallister refused to make any promises about what he will NOT cut. "There are no sacred cows, waste will be cut where ever it is found" is smart policy, we need to see more of that from leaders of all levels.

The only part of that making me nervous is infrastructure. I don't want them to cut there. They can even cut health, now that I think of it. I agree with the Liberal candidate from Brandon - we have too many hospitals. There are 3 within an hour and a half of me that could go.

Edited by Smallc

The only part of that making me nervous is infrastructure.

There are big opportunity for savings on infrastructure spending. It's a matter of getting value for what you pay for. Cost-plus contracts have to go -- nobody else does that.

I agree with the Liberal candidate from Brandon - we have too many hospitals.

How many drinks have you had tonight?

How is that an actual hospital then?

That's the question isn't it - yet there are two within an hour and a half of me. Over time they've lost services, but they continue to be operated as if one day they'd return to their former glory.

That's the question isn't it - yet there are two within an hour and a half of me. Over time they've lost services, but they continue to be operated as if one day they'd return to their former glory.

Operating how? What is it they do if they don't even have any doctors or an ER? Is it palliative care?

Operating how? What is it they do if they don't even have any doctors or an ER? Is it palliative care?

I believe, they mostly panel people waiting for personal care home beds. Trust me when I say that the panelled beds are a lot more costly than actual care home beds that the money could be used for. There are about 20 hospitals in Manitoba in this condition currently.

That's not the same thing as what most people mean when they refer to a hospital, and it's certainly not what Billy Moore was talking about. He said if we make it harder for people to get medical care, they might take better care of themselves.

It's also not a hospital that you would drive to if you needed care. Do they even have the same kind of budget as the fully functioning one(s) closer to you? Do you even know (for certain) what kind of costs are being accrued there, or are you assuming?

I do know, because I was on the board of the hospital next to one of the useless ones. I'm not saying there are too many beds, doctors, or nurses. There are simply some surplus facilities that need to go, or need to be converted.

I do know, because I was on the board of the hospital next to one of the useless ones. I'm not saying there are too many beds, doctors, or nurses. There are simply some surplus facilities that need to go, or need to be converted.

You know what, that the unused ones got the same budget as the functioning ones?

Edited by Bryan

There are simply some surplus facilities that need to go, or need to be converted.

You sound exactly like a guy from Alberta who said pretty much the same thing one time. What the hell was his name.....????

Oh yeah. Ralph Klein.

And for the record, I think you're correct that these types of "hospitals" need to go. They're a huge drain on the health budget.

You know what, that the unused ones got the same budget as the functioning ones?

They still have a Care Team Manager (the kind that's a well paid nurse, and not a PCH manager). They still have staff that oversee their function. They still need their facilities and equipment maintained. They still actively look for doctors. They probably don't cost quite as much, not having a staff doctor, but that's not the main cost. Some of them could be repurposed as PCHs. Some of them should be bulldozed.

Edited by Smallc

They still have a Care Team Manager (the kind that's a well paid nurse, and not a PCH manager). They still have staff that oversee their function. They still need their facilities and equipment maintained. They still actively look for doctors. They probably don't cost quite as much, not having a staff doctor, but that's not the main cost. Some of them could be repurposed as PCHs. Some of them should be bulldozed.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like:

a/ an opportunity for the PCs to make some cost recovery while also improving services where necessary.

and

b/ an opportunity for the NDP spin it as "dismantling health care" and "hurting those who need it most"

Edited by Bryan