Sport Celebrations - Joy or Insult?

The recent Blue Jays Bautista bat flip has highlighted an ongoing controversy in professional sports.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/bautista-acknowledges-fans-bat-flip-tattoo/

Professional sports is a combination of athleticism and entertainment. The entertainment aspect is becoming a bigger and bigger component. One basic aspect of sportsmanship is supposed to be respect for your opponent. Celebrations of success are becoming more and more involved and overt.

I remember a time in professional golf tournaments where a player blasts out of a trap and right into the cup to win the title, walks over, pulls the ball out of the cup and the people watching clap respectfully. Now, the golfer drops a 15 foot putt for the win and pumps his fist into the air, runs around the green as the fans cheer and chant.

I remember when a professional basketball player would lay the ball up into the basket then turn quickly to run back into his defensive position. To-day, the player climbs over his opponent, slams the ball down into the basket, screams down at his opponent on the ground then struts down the court hitting his chest with his fist.

I remember when a football player would cross the opponents goal line for a touchdown, hand the ball to the referee and run back to the sidelines. To-day, we see the player spike the ball or spin it on the ground, do a preplanned and rehearsed solo dance and the other players join him in a bizarre conga line.

I remember when a hockey player would score a goal, skate back to the bench and accept his team members and coach congratulations. To-day, the player scores his goal, rides his hockey stick down the ice, rolls around and hits the glass.

All these celebrations are meant for the media but are they sending the right message?

How many and extent of these outbursts are detrimental to good sportsmanship that is supposed to be a guide and example for youngsters?

When does it become “over the top”?

Will we soon see baseball players doing cartwheels between bases and a back flip on to home plate on a home run?

I agree with B and MG. The flip wasn't planned. It became part of one of the most eventful single innings in playoff history. I loved it.

That said, I really think some of the players in all sports could tone down the automatic stuff. BG didn't mention Soccer, but seeing a player slide halfway down the pitch on his knees then succumb to an orgy of hugs and kisses after scoring the fourth goal in a five - nil win in a late season middle of the table game gets old real fast.

Then there's the God thankers. God save us from them! (I would love to see a player point to the ground and thank the Devil. Just once)