• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be just completely unworkable with New Brunswick, linguistically, culturally, politically, and historically.

Maybe so, but, and this sounds strange to say, but the 4 largest provinces get the short end of the stick. Each province should have 1 seat per 110K (as is the current formula, IIRC) rounded to the nearest.

Maybe so, but, and this sounds strange to say, but the 4 largest provinces get the short end of the stick. Each province should have 1 seat per 110K (as is the current formula, IIRC) rounded to the nearest.

I get why you're saying it, but it defeats the idea of making MPs more representative of their constituencies and more accountable to their constituents. At least in the case of reducing seats in NB or PEI even.

Edited by cybercoma

I get why you're saying it, but it defeats the idea of making MPs more representative of their constituencies and more accountable to their constituents. At least in the case of reducing seats in NB or PEI even.

The lines can't always break down perfectly. What I want will never happen anyway (and I did advocated dropping at least one seat for Manitoba - we'll probably get another one in a couple of decades), I was just musing.

That's a different can of worms. Rural areas are over-represented compared to urban areas. They would argue otherwise. Nothing's perfect.

I live in the most rural, ignorant area that you could ever imagine. Don't worry, I'm well aware.

Not going to happen. Senate reform is more likely than these provinces taking a seat cut.

The problem is that MPs can't really be representative nor accountable to their constituents. Take Fundy Royal for example. It crosses 5 StatsCan census divisions made up of 33 census subdivisions. It covers almost the entire triangle from Saint John to Moncton to Fredericton. Likewise the Miramichi–Grand Lake riding extends from Mt. Carleton to Miramichi to Fredericton. These areas have sparse populations spread out over large swaths of the province. They're huge ridings. The only way to cut down the number of seats would be to have these massive ridings absorb ridings from the cities. It wouldn't make sense at all.

Anyway, if the Liberals keep their word (I hope that they do) I hope they go with STV and don't waste our time by going half way with AV ensuring them super majorities for eternity.

I think they committed to an all party process - which seems like a good thing. I can't imagine the other 2 parties agreeing to AV because it will benefit the Liberals. However, I can imagine a bunfest which will drag the whole process into the weeds.

I think STV would be a good compromise but after watching what happened provincially, I'm not getting my hopes up to much. I think chances would be better if Liberals have a minority. Then maybe STV can be a compromise position between MMP and AV.