cybercoma

Again Democracy can't be based on statistical inference, but the actual results of the voters (demos).

Statistical inference shows that fair exposure leads to more votes for parties, so to deny them that is to deny Democracy itself.

Platitudes. The results of opinion polls matter. They tell us what people think of the candidates at any given point in time. Elizabeth May and the Green Party has virtually no support. So little in fact that they would not have been given a seat last election in a PR system with a benchmark of 5%.

Edited by cybercoma

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Platitudes. The results of opinion polls matter. They tell us what people think of the candidates at any given point in time. Elizabeth May and the Green Party has virtually no support. So little in fact that they would not have been given a seat last election in a PR system with a benchmark of 5%.

There seems to be this strange theory that if May is just given her "rightful" place in the debates, vast legions of voters will flock to the Greens. It didn't work in 2011, and with the polarization and potential for strategic voting this time around, I honestly doubt they'll even reach popular vote counts that they managed four years ago.

They're a fringe party. A better funded and louder fringe party than most, but at the end of the day, just as irrelevant. I suspect that if we get a very close election this time, a lot of Green supporters, and more importantly donors, will likely move over to the NDP. I see nowhere for the Greens to go but down.

There seems to be this strange theory that if May is just given her "rightful" place in the debates, vast legions of voters will flock to the Greens. It didn't work in 2011, and with the polarization and potential for strategic voting this time around, I honestly doubt they'll even reach popular vote counts that they managed four years ago.

They're a fringe party. A better funded and louder fringe party than most, but at the end of the day, just as irrelevant. I suspect that if we get a very close election this time, a lot of Green supporters, and more importantly donors, will likely move over to the NDP. I see nowhere for the Greens to go but down.

I completely disagree with your assessment of the future of the Green Party, but agree with what you say about their current position. I believe they'll go up in support as more of them get elected and people begin seeing that they're a fully fleshed-out party with the kind of progressive policies that the NDP is abandoning.

Don't lie if they had virtually no support they wouldn't have any seats. Polls show May is the most respected parliamentarian in Ottawa far ahead of the actual prime minister who has the lowest approval rating of any party leader there.

Anyway I shouldn't have to argue that May is popular she is. The fact is your position is anti-democratic.

Edited by G Huxley

I completely disagree with your assessment of the future of the Green Party, but agree with what you say about their current position. I believe they'll go up in support as more of them get elected and people begin seeing that they're a fully fleshed-out party with the kind of progressive policies that the NDP is abandoning.

Exactly parties have to build and Democracy means that have to have a fair chance to do so.

Exactly parties have to build and Democracy means that have to have a fair chance to do so.

She has a chance to do that. When her support is enough that she can actually challenge to form government, then she'll be in all of the debates. Right now she's the leader of a fringe party with no hope of getting any more than a few seats.

"

They got less than 4% of the popular vote in the last election. That's virtually no support and enough to be shutout of some PR systems."

I would be a bit more scientific in dividing. If you have 100 seats 4% = 4 seats.

"Right now she's the leader of a fringe party with no hope of getting any more than a few seats."

Ok let's talk about cutoffs if you're going to be anti-democratic all three parties are polling at less than a third support. Every single party is fringe to be fair then.

Also if fringe people are to be disqualified from from a fair chance then the Conservatives should be disqualified for only have 2 seats in 1993.

Edited by G Huxley

I would be a bit more scientific in dividing. If you have 100 seats 4% = 4 seats.

What he was saying was this - many countries have a minimum cutoff for their PR system (including those that you oh so admire). In some of those systems, the Green party would have had 0 seats, less than they got with Canada's first past the post system.

What he was saying was this - many countries have a minimum cutoff for their PR system (including those that you oh so admire). In some of those systems, the Green party would have had 0 seats, less than they got with Canada's first past the post system.

That depends on which PR system you use. I've heard of nobody advocating a pure list system. The Greens are currently polling over 30% on Vancouver Island. Under MMP or STV, the Greens would have more than one seat.

Also, you are assuming that the voting percentages will be unaffected if you remove the motivation for strategic voting.

That depends on which PR system you use. I've heard of nobody advocating a pure list system. The Greens are currently polling over 30% on Vancouver Island. Under MMP or STV, the Greens would have more than one seat.

Also, you are assuming that the voting percentages will be unaffected if you remove the motivation for strategic voting.

Ah, I see, so you're in favor of whatever electoral system gets the Greens more than one seat in the House.

I've been a supporter of PR longer than I've been a supporter of the Greens. I was correcting smallc's statement of what is likely to happen under PR.

That all depends on which system we pick. I'd like a system where each province is a district, and each CMA another district within those. For that system, the threshold would be pretty high to get a seat in most places (some places, like PEI and Sudbury, which would each get 1 seat, would be defacto FPTP).

Edited by Smallc

Not necessarily if it was PR the Greens would have a much higher percentage of the vote as there wouldn't be all this 'lesser of evils' b.s.

Also as I said I disagree with Sweden's cut off. You weren't under some mistaken impression that I considered their system perfect were you?

Not necessarily if it was PR the Greens would have a much higher percentage of the vote as there wouldn't be all this 'lesser of evils' b.s.

You just said we can't guess about the outcome based on polls. Now you're doing it based on nothing.

Also as I said I disagree with Sweden's cut off. You weren't under some mistaken impression that I considered their system perfect were you?

Their cutoff is a great compromise and the only thing that makes me think it might work here.

That all depends on which system we pick. I'd like a system where each province is a district, and each CMA another district within those. For that system, the threshold would be pretty high to get a seat in most places (some places, like PEI and Sudbury, which would each get 1 seat, would be defacto FPTP).

Sounds almost like you care more about eliminating smaller parties than you do about proportionality.

As I said, the Greens are polling over 30 percent (running second) on the island and there are something over 700,000 residents. You'll have to design your system carefully if you'd like to deny them seats.

Sounds almost like you care more about eliminating smaller parties than you do about proportionality.

As I said, the Greens are polling over 30 percent (running second) on the island and there are something over 700,000 residents. You'll have to design your system carefully if you'd like to deny them seats.

If they get the most votes they will gain the most seats. Our system works great. If I lived on the Island I would vote Green. I have family out there in Nanaimo and Victoria.

I care about a system that balanced the unique interest of populations - urban and rural, and by province. The system I propose would bring us much closer to proportionality, while still allowing for regional representation necessary in a federation like ours.

As I said, the Greens are polling over 30 percent (running second) on the island

The island isn't a province or a region with uniform concerns. Under the system I propose, it would be split - Victoria CMA would be 1 region with 3 - 4 proportional seats, and the rural island would go along with the rest of rural BC sharing their 13 - 14 proportional seats. That may mean a seat for the Greens, and it may not.

Edited by Smallc

Ranked systems might get them some seats, but since most proportional systems do have minimum popular vote requirements, I can't imagine Greens greatly benefiting from 1/3 of support on Vancouver Island.

I care about a system that balanced the unique interest of populations - urban and rural, and by province. The system I propose would bring us much closer to proportionality, while still allowing for regional representation necessary in a federation like ours.

Yeah. Cuz it's not enough that the senate appointments are by province and the provinces themselves are so powerful they behave like little countries. We need more emphasis on the provinces. :rolleyes:

The island isn't a province or a region with uniform concerns. Under the system I propose, it would be split - Victoria CMA would be 1 region with 3 - 4 proportional seats, and the rural island would go along with the rest of rural BC sharing their 13 - 14 proportional seats. That may mean a seat for the Greens, and it may not.

You wouldn't be able to deny the Greens at least one seat and possibly 2. But thanks for trying.

Ranked systems might get them some seats, but since most proportional systems do have minimum popular vote requirements, I can't imagine Greens greatly benefiting from 1/3 of support on Vancouver Island.

Greens would definitely get seats under STV and probably through MMP, depending on how it was designed (see smallc's effort to exclude them).

The point is, though, we won't know the Greens real strength until we get PR. Right now, there is too much strategic voting.

Yeah. Cuz it's not enough that the senate appointments are by province and the provinces themselves are so powerful they behave like little countries. We need more emphasis on the provinces. :rolleyes:

It's a confederation of seven former British Crown Colonies and three provinces carved out of Canada's purchase of Rupert's land and some other bits and pieces of British territory north of the 49th. So yeah, the Provinces are kind of important

You wouldn't be able to deny the Greens at least one seat and possibly 2. But thanks for trying.

I can see them getting a few more seats under an MMR system, but likely not enough to get them Official Party Status. It's funny, because so far as I understand it, the Greens are big fans of the MMR system, when if they really wanted to help their own electoral fortunes, they'd be advocating for STV.

Yeah. Cuz it's not enough that the senate appointments are by province

If only they were. They're by the useless artificial region construct.

and the provinces themselves are so powerful they behave like little countries

It's a federation. That's the point.

We need more emphasis on the provinces. :roll eyes:

We need to balance regional interests within the people's house.

I'm not trying to deny them anything. I don't know where you get that from.