Sep 17 leaders debate

hitops

Statistics show the most tweeted potential PM tonight was Muclair at the exact time he talked about closing tax loopholes and havens. He remained the most searched leader for the debate. TM won this one in my opinion.

Edit; Actually I stand corrected the most tweeted potential PM was May. With more tweets than all of them combined.

Edited by PrimeNumber

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Statistics show the most tweeted potential PM tonight was Muclair at the exact time he talked about closing tax loopholes and havens. He remained the most searched leader for the debate. TM won this one in my opinion.

Edit; Actually I stand corrected the most tweeted potential PM was May. With more tweets than all of them combined.

I don't think anyone bombed it. All three did well Imo. Trudeau was miles better than he was last time out as was Mulcair. Harper was steady as usual. Trudeau was interrupting and yelling too much but it was a passionate debate and each of them showed that I thought. Mulcair looked better than Trudeau. More Prime Ministerial. Harper looked like the guy to beat as he needed to.

It was a good debate. I enjoyed it. Had some funny moments.

I actually like the moderator. He's preventing it from turning into the usual screaming match, asking good follow up questions, and forcing the candidates to actually answer the question posed instead of just always talking points.

that would be fine, but he kept interjecting his opinion into the debating.

Didn't watch the debate. Both the host of the debate, Harper and Mulcair demonstrated their anti-democratic nature by not including May.

I don't bother watching anti-democratic authoritarians debate.

they didn't organize the debate and besides, May is hugging 5%. She doesn't have a chance at all of becoming PM. She won't even meet the threshold for official party status, unless the next government gives it to her anyway. Edited by cybercoma

I have to like TM for nailing JT to the wall. Just after JT attacked Harper for deficit spending TM says, "but you plan to run $10B a year for three years". Burn.

And Harper something to the effect of "For seven years i have been coming to work and it has been either the banking crisis, housing bubble, world financial crisis and now China. Things in the world are still unsettled and so we must keep the budget balanced". Couldnt have summed things up better.

couldnt have summed up better why he's a completely ineffectual leader you mean. I'm sorry your job is hard, Harper. Maybe we better give it to someone up to the task.

It was interesting that Mulcair kept talking about what the UN has asked us to do. Who cares what the UN has asked us to do? The UN does not make the law here, Canada does.

Of course you are free to be anti-democratic in a democracy as Harper and Mulcair have shown in their anti-democratic exclusionary authortiarianism.

Inviting people to a debate has nothing to do with being democratic. If they invited only May and whoever the Christian Heritage leader is, that is not un-democratic, it is just their choice. Democracy does not = inviting every conceivable individual to a debate.

And 6 years of Harper running deficits sure proves it.

Ok now you have to say mean things about the other 3 leaders, otherwise you are excluding them and being undemocratic. You cannot show any favoritism in your private comments on a private forums, right? You tyrant!

Edited by hitops

This debate was completely meaningless anyway. Harper's special debate, held in Calgary, covering only the economy, was not carried by any of the major networks. Only 60,000 people watched it online. More people are going to read the biased interpretations of the leaders' performances today anyway and Elizabeth May is getting plenty of coverage there.

Trudeau may just as well walked over to Harper during the dabate, shook his hand and said "thank you sir, you did such a great job with the economy that we also agree we are in a great position to run large deficits for 3 more years as our platforms says"

Is there any way possible to explain that the economy faired well. Many have been critical of everything but not suggested any way of how your preferred party would do better in that economic environment. What, higher CIT or lower, more deficit or less, more trade agreements or more isolationist. The Liberal party basically gave Harper a gold star by having the balls to announce more deficits. No doubt lots of people will be all infavor of more deficits - like Ontario where defits are at what, 10 years now, projected for a few more years "but any day now our deficit spending plan will turn this economy around".

"I know things are not exactly great in the economy", said Harper.

Only in Canada would such an admission not be considered a fatal political mistake.

In what other country right now could any leader NOT admit that without lying?

After the election, the Duffy trial will go away. His pro bono lawyer is only working for him for political reasons and will wrap things up quickly, and the media will not care.

Conspiracy theory much?

Maybe Wright shouldn't have violated the Criminal Code and the Parliament Act and handed Duffy money. Maybe he shouldn't have worked with senior Tory Senators to try to snuff out any mention of Duffy's expense issues.

But oh no, with Tories, it's always someone else's fault, and someone else is always out to get them.

Conspiracy theory much?

I read in the paper he was working for free. He's spent an enormous amount of time on subjects which would embarrass the government but which were irrelevant to whether his client would be found innocent or guilty. After the election he'll have no motivation for wasting so much of his time, and it's not like Duffy has any say, since he's not paying the man. The media won't care either, especially if Harper is no longer in power.

It's not conspiracy, it's logic, something you on the left run screaming into the darkness to hide from at its every appearance.

Yes, why not? Everyone deserves a fair voice. If they can field enough candidates

I agree with you that the Green party should be present as they field numerous candidates in every province. That is the criteria for me. Unlike the Bloc who only ever ran in Quebec and had no chance of ever being the elected party in Canada

Harper actually contended his rivals would open Canada's borders to "hundreds of thousands of unchecked refugees".

How gullible does he think voters are? Garbage hyperbole like this might lose him more votes than it gets.

Lots of Lefties have demanded we take in many tens of thousands of refugees and find the suggestion they need to be checked out first to be infuriating. The only people who would be bothered by his statement are the people like you who wouldn't vote for him under any circumstances anyway.