Which is worse? ISIS or Global Warming?

-1=e^ipi

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, they've got tons of weapons and they get more everyday. Who are these people who are gonna stand up to them?

The Kurdish Peshmurga, with a little help from their friends. And most of what ISIS has for hardware is stuff the US left behind after the stupid, and illegal war Bush decided to launch. Now we have to staunch the black market sale of oil that keeps their revenue flowing.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kurdish Peshmurga, with a little help from their friends. And most of what ISIS has for hardware is stuff the US left behind after the stupid, and illegal war Bush decided to launch. Now we have to staunch the black market sale of oil that keeps their revenue flowing.

They selling the oil by tanker truck load. It's going to be hard to stop when Mulcair and Trudeau pull out our troops from the area. We need to start using elite unit operations to start stopping them.

11 million Syrians have already scurried away like cockroaches. If they can't be bothered to defend thier own country then we don't need to take in any of these cowards. They should pick up a weapon and fight isis but maybe they side with isis.

Apparently you've never had a barrel bomb dropped on you. I bet you'd be the slitheryest cockroach ever seen if it ever did happen to you.

And if you had no weapon you would just sit by and wait until you got killed right? Never run away right?

You're kidding right? Guns in the ME are cheap and plentiful. Access wouldn't be much of a problem for people from there. It isn't like here in the west. You should know this. They should've joined a side and tried to fight if possible.

Wouldn't you try to fight for your home?

You're kidding right? Guns in the ME are cheap and plentiful. Access wouldn't be much of a problem for people from there. It isn't like here in the west. You should know this. They should've joined a side and tried to fight if possible.

Maybe a mother and father with a coupe of young children don't seek to get an AK 47 and try to fight off the government. Maybe they just want to head out somewhere to save their children.

Unless you live underground and use geothermal energy to cool yourself.

Anyway, if not 50 C, how much temperature increase would make you indifferent to global warming or ISIS taking over?

30 C?

10 C?

5 C?

There's of course a difference here: a 2-5 degree temperature increase has a chance to happening. The chances of ISIS taking over anything of import is nil.

You didn't. You got the hell out. All the poor should fight to the death for causes you approve of - But the rich? Death-fights are unnecessary.

You didn't. You got the hell out. All the poor should fight to the death for causes you approve of - But the rich? Death-fights are unnecessary.

My country was being handed over to black majority. You think the whites should've started killing political blacks. Well that was not my position.

Apartheid was ending. I moved my wealth out and got out with it. The ANC certainly would've seized my assets since I accumulated it under Apartheid. I went to Naderlands then to Canada through that country. I didn't come direct from SA.

But it's interesting that you view the ANC to be as much if a terrorist organization as ISIS is.

There's of course a difference here: a 2-5 degree temperature increase has a chance to happening. The chances of ISIS taking over anything of import is nil.

Yeah, there is basically a 100% probability of that.

But I think most people would prefer 2-5 degree increase than ISIS. That's why I made things more extreme.

You want a more realistic scenario? Okay. How about:

4 C global temperature increase vs ISIS establishing a caliphate that encompasses the Middle East and North Africa?

I'd pick the 4 C temperature increase.

11 million Syrians have already scurried away like cockroaches. If they can't be bothered to defend thier own country then we don't need to take in any of these cowards. They should pick up a weapon and fight isis but maybe they side with isis.

They were defending their nation, we took the other side and supplied weapons to and trained some terrorists in the form of the Free Syrian Army. But now that we have helped in the destruction of their homes. If you support bombing them, then you should support giving them refuge. Otherwise, you are just another hypocritical blowhard with an obvious agenda.

Who would be better off controlling Syria?

1 - Assad

2 - Free Syrian Army

3 - ISIS

Seems like all great choices there, don't it. Funny how no one is advocating regime change in Saudi Arabia or UAE or Qatar.

They were defending their nation, we took the other side and supplied weapons to and trained some terrorists in the form of the Free Syrian Army. But now that we have helped in the destruction of their homes. If you support bombing them, then you should support giving them refuge. Otherwise, you are just another hypocritical blowhard with an obvious agenda.

Who would be better off controlling Syria?

1 - Assad

2 - Free Syrian Army

3 - ISIS

Seems like all great choices there, don't it. Funny how no one is advocating regime change in Saudi Arabia or UAE or Qatar.

These refugee's should go to those Islamic countries where they share the same values as the Syrian Muslims.

They kill homosexuals in those 3 countries.

They hate Jews AND ISRAEL.

Women are second class citizens.

The Syrians will fit right in.

My country was being handed over to black majority. You think the whites should've started killing political blacks. Well that was not my position.

Apartheid was ending. I moved my wealth out and got out with it. The ANC certainly would've seized my assets since I accumulated it under Apartheid. I went to Naderlands then to Canada through that country. I didn't come direct from SA.

But it's interesting that you view the ANC to be as much if a terrorist organization as ISIS is.

But you did not stay and fight. Why?

So you left before there was a reason to fight? You can call yourself a coward based on your own questioning of Syrians as to why they don't stay and fight.

Where will you go next?

The peaceful handover of power in SA is not equal to the Syrian civil war. I cannot help you if you don't, can't or won't understand that.

If a civil war in SA was going to happen I would've stayed. Yes.

I can't believe people would live under the tyranny of ISIS. Surely you women would rather do anything but live in a world controlled by ISIS? Wouldn't you? Cowards...no wonder Islam is taking over.

I can't believe anyone would want to live under ISIS or any other dictatorship either. That's why I've said the best way to deal with the ISIS's of the world is to leave them to their own devices. Stop the flow of weapons and reasons for using them into their region and nothing will guarantee they'll be history faster. It won't be long before the people under their thumb chafe so badly they'll overthrow them without any need for us to get involved other than to help them pick up the pieces, assuming they even want our help.

Apparently it's too difficult for us to do nothing so we take the easy way out by getting in their faces.

50 C isn't enough to make the oceans evaporate

Yes, it is. Simple experiment, take a cup of water at 60-70 C and leave it out in the open (while maintaining its temperature). The water will be gone in relatively short order. You don't need to be above the boiling point to evaporate the oceans.

Both the vapor pressure of water and the amount of water that can be contained in the air without condensing go up about a factor of 10 if you raise the ambient temperature by 50 C. With the already much higher implied atmospheric pressure that would be required to produce the 50 C increase in the first place, all or most of the ocean's water content would be in the atmosphere.

Edited by Bonam

Yeah, there is basically a 100% probability of that.

But I think most people would prefer 2-5 degree increase than ISIS. That's why I made things more extreme.

You want a more realistic scenario? Okay. How about:

4 C global temperature increase vs ISIS establishing a caliphate that encompasses the Middle East and North Africa?

I'd pick the 4 C temperature increase.

If the people of the ME and North Africa want to live under a caliphate, let them. We already let similarly brutal regimes exist, such as North Korea.

If the people of the ME and North Africa want to live under a caliphate, let them. We already let similarly brutal regimes exist, such as North Korea.

ISIS goal is to move to start taking over Europe once they have taken N. Africa and the ME. Doing nothing will seal our fate.

This is going to turn into a world war. Either that or prepare to convert to Islam or die.

They now have over 50 000 soldiers and over $2 billion.

Edited by Canada_First

ISIS goal is to move to start taking over Europe once they have taken N. Africa and the ME. Doing nothing will seal our fate.

This is going to turn into a world war. Either that or prepare to convert to Islam or die.

ISIS doesn't have the ability to seriously threaten any developed country. Even Canada's military could easily destroy any ISIS attempt to take anything over. The only countries that ISIS can take over are the ones that will welcome them with open arms.

Yes, it is. Simple experiment, take a cup of water at 60-70 C and leave it out in the open (while maintaining its temperature).

Obviously I was referring to the boiling point. A cup of coffee well above ambient temperature is different from the entire atmosphere being warmer.

Both the vapor pressure of water and the amount of water that can be contained in the air without condensing go up about a factor of 10 if you raise the ambient temperature by 50 C. With the already much higher implied atmospheric pressure that would be required to produce the 50 C increase in the first place, all or most of the ocean's water content would be in the atmosphere.

Okay, let's see...

If I use the August-Roche-Magnus formula for the Clausius-Clapeyron relation at 338 K, I get a saturation vapour pressure of 171 atmospheres.

Mass of the Earth's atmosphere is 5.15 x 10^18 kg.

Mass of the Earth's oceans is 1.4 x 10^21 kg.

So the atmosphere can hold at most 62.9% of the Earth's oceans at that temperature in this highly idealized case (obviously it is much less once you factor lapse rate and the fact that the atmosphere won't be at 100% relative humidity).

So there will still be ocean left.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

ISIS doesn't have the ability to seriously threaten any developed country. Even Canada's military could easily destroy any ISIS attempt to take anything over. The only countries that ISIS can take over are the ones that will welcome them with open arms.

That may be true atm. But what about 10 or 20 or even 30 years from now? They'll become entrenched and continue to gather resources. I'm sure the same things were said about Hitler in the early 30s.