Liquour Licence Act Reform

Well, Quebec has been doing it for many years and it seems to be quite successful. It makes dining out more affordable, but I am curious about who is responsible for excessive drinking.

In BC if you are serving alcohol and someone gets plastered and then has an automobile accident, the restaurant/bar owner and even the server/bartender can be held partially responsible depending on the circumstances.

Prohibition didn't work for adults so why do we think it works for kids? I think a much healthier approach is to introduce alcohol gradually to kids, rather creating this suppressed desire to drink, and then the usual blowouts when they become of legal age to drink.

I agree--holding firm to alchohol laws (being 19 in Ontario) is ridiculous. Lets look at it this way:

We can marry at 18...but cant drink at our own wedding.

There's something REALLY wrong with that.

Though it is working in Quebec...look at Alberta. Only 66 restaurants actually have this licence and all report that it has not been very successful at all.

Would it work in Ontario? I guess thats the question. Since it is voluntary for restaurant owners to apply for this license, its not exactly the most pressing issue. Just a good topic of conversation :D thanx for your input!

If I were a cafe owner with no liquor license and then all of a sudden my patrons wanted to start drinking in my restuarant, I would have to arrange for the staff to go through some training to learn about cutting people off, etc.. How do you do that when it is their own liquor could turn out to be quite difficult, especially if they are drunk. Maybe that is the reason for the reluctance in AB. I wonder how it is addressed in Quebec.

Yes, we don't need to lower the drinking age; raise the age of when you can marry. 25 should be right. As for bring your own booze into a restaurant; what's in it for the restaurant if they have to supply the glasses??? Is this restaurants that have a liquor license?? In my day< many many years ago, I worked in a restaurant; we would lose our liquor license if we knowing allowed anyone to bring booze in the restaurant. We had to be 21 to drink "legally" Actually when you reached the legal age; the fun went out of drinking.

Are you talking to me maple; should we condone and allow teenagers to do anything that we know they do. I suppose because they like to speed and drag race; we should okay that??????

I asked what does the restaurant get out of this???? Why would they want to supply you with glasses and corkscrew for your own booze???? Free???? Why would I want to go to Quebec????? Why make it cheaper and easier to drink away from home.

Quebeckers have beeen doing this for quite awhile. I am not aware of problems however I have not lived there for some time.

You go to a couche-tard, pick up your bottle of wine, and then go to the restaurant for dinner.

An advantage is that it makes dining out quite a bit less expensive.

Jeez, why are anglos so uptight about things? ;)

We are not nor do we aspire to be Quebeckers. Why should we do something just because they do? Get real.

Next' people will want to bring their own steaks; all the restaurant need to do is cook it, serve it and do the dishes. If you can't afford the liquor to eat out; do without. Who needs a bunch of drunk drivers on the road. I don't need liquor to enjoy a meal out.

As for bring your own booze into a restaurant; what's in it for the restaurant if they have to supply the glasses??? Is this restaurants that have a liquor license??
Restaurants sometimes charge a cork fee. But in general, they are happy to sell the food.

On one hand, the government loses tax revenue with this idea (since wine sold in restaurants is taxed at a higher rate).

On the other hand, customers can take a specific bottle they prefer rather than be restricted to the restaurant's selection.

Bear in mind that in Quebec, local corner stores can sell beer and wine. The restaurants offering BYOW are usually in the downtown with many little stores nearby. I've stepped out of a restaurant to buy a bottle of wine.

Canada has a truly bizarre system for selling booze. I don't think any other country does it our way.

Well, the UK used to have weird pub hours, the Scandinavians also restrict hours of sale and India has dry states.