Off-Topic Discussions

Greg

• Forum Admin

Lately some veteran posters in this forum have been starting threads and responding to posts without considering the importance of following the rules and guidelines of this forum. I'm not going to go into detail about who committed and what the infractions where, but I want everyone to clearly understand that this forum is not your personal website. Mapleleafweb operates these forums in the hopes that they will promote intelligent, honest and responsible discussion. We do NOT operate these forums so that a few of you can discuss off-topic babble.

For this point forward, I will be deleting, without warning, all off-topic posts/threads.

Greg

Admin

If we chose to discuss a topic that is our business or are you the thought police.

That seems a little extreme. My view is that the guidelines contribute to the quality of discussion. I think that the removal of the guidelines would have a deleterious effect. Nor do I agree that enforcement (so long as its impartial - which it appears to be) of the guidleines amounts to thought control. People here all seem free to hold their own views. The guidelines merely place an onus on the poster to put forth their arguments inpersonally, rationally, and with reference to source material as required. This is a positive. I also agree there should be some monitoring to stop people moving off topic - this stops discussions from becoming polluted or clouded. Anyone who wishes to do so is able to start a new topic after all and can discuss the issue they wish to in that way.

I am glad, however, that Greg chose to move the computer topic to the help section rather then removing it entirely. I have found it interesting and useful. I'm sure you can all understand that it was in the wrong section though - it IS off topic as far as politics is concerned. Even if he had deleted I'm sure you can all understand that it is off-topic for the purposes of this forum.

Considering the fact the guidelines help not hinder and that Greg puts in alot of impartial work to maintain the integrity of this site I'm confident that everyone here can respect his decisions.

• Forum Admin
If we chose to discuss a topic that is our business or are you the thought police.

Cut the thought police crap out. I'm not censoring anyones ability to post in these forums. I am however, trying to enforce the rules and guidelines of this forum.

If for some reason you do not agree with my moderating style or you feel you cannot abide by the rules and guidelines, then you're free to leave. There are plenty of other forums who would be more than happy to accept your off-topic discussions and your wild, baseless accusations.

I would hazzard a guess that most of the people who posted or read the computer browser, etc. thread were finding it helpful and useful

Useful or not, they contravene the rules and guidelines of the forum and are not acceptable.

• 3 weeks later...

People who whine about moderation on forums generally have never tried doing it...it is a thankless job, you do too little, people whine, too much, people whine, just right for 99.9% and that .01% will still whine.

You guys should be thankful that you've been given the priviledge of using the forums. You should also realize that forums are NOT public property and you do NOT have any inherent "right" to say whatever you want on a privately owned forum.

Well, I'm brand new here as of today.

Truth to tell, I didn't even read the rules (blush), but intend to simply do the same as I do in other forums, which is to try contribute intelligently, to not insult anyone, and generally try to be civilized.

But I realize that this is not my backyard, and I don't make the rules. Don't read them either, as already stated.

I believe most people probably haven't, just like everywhere else. But civilized behaviour has kept me from being spanked anywhere else, so I don't expect any problems here.

But if I step over the line, slap me down.

This is your yard, your bat, your ball, your rules, and I thank you for letting me play here.

If anyone ain't happy with the laws and/or the treatment they receive here, it's like the man said, buy your own bat and ball.

And GREG, whoever and wherever you are, thanks for giving us all a place to speak our piece.