Go Set A Watchman

Apparently it's the first draft of "To Kill a Mockingbird", and should be read as such. It's not a prequel or sequel. It seems Atticus's character obviously went through some changes when the book was re-written into what we've come to know.

edit: Personally, it seems likely to me that Harper Lee never wanted to see this draft printed, and, because of her poor health after a stroke, was possibily manipulated into authorizing its release for the financial benefit of others.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

I agree with Moonlight Graham - I saw a recent attempt at an interview with her and she certainly did not appear to understand what was happening around her. Someone is going to make a lot of money on somebody else's literary prowess.

That is sad.

Isn't it sad that you could make a ton of money and help out loved ones but choose not too ???

I believe that writers, especially great writers are artists. They create. If an artist has done something that they do not wish to share with others then that is their prerogative. If she wanted to publish it then why did she wait 58 years?

From what I saw, she is incapable of making a change in heart and deciding to publish now.

If Harper Lee came to believe the Atticus Finch from her second effort was the one she wanted to leave the world, then it is a shame that someone should go against her wishes.

It's really hard to say what Harper Lee wants. Here is an interesting tidbit:

Watchman is the most preordered book in HarperCollins’s history. Its first print run is two-thirds larger than the final Hunger Games book and more than twice that of the last Game of Thrones installment. HarperCollins is selling the book for up to $20 to bookstores, which means a sold-out first printing could rake in close to $40 million. The novel’s topped Amazon.com’s best-seller list since its release was announced in February and is the website’s most preordered book of any genre in the last four years. Monroeville’s two-room bookstore has presold almost 7,000 copies and is trying to find a loading dock big enough to accept them the night before they go on sale.

Here is an interview with Lee’s lawyer, friend, and confidante, Carter.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought and read the book last week while on holidays. The only reason this dull story was even tolerable is because I had already read To Kill A Mockingbird. I completely understand why publishers didn't originally print it. A late 20's Scout grapples with the racist morals of her home town and the fact that her father is a fallible human and not a god. Her crazy old uncle helps her to accept that nobody is perfect, Atticus Finch is only human and that some, patronizing racism is acceptable and noble.

I bought and read the book last week while on holidays. The only reason this dull story was even tolerable is because I had already read To Kill A Mockingbird. I completely understand why publishers didn't originally print it. A late 20's Scout grapples with the racist morals of her home town and the fact that her father is a fallible human and not a god. Her crazy old uncle helps her to accept that nobody is perfect, Atticus Finch is only human and that some, patronizing racism is acceptable and noble.

Thank you for that evaluation. I have been following your posts and appreciate you sharing your views here. I do treasure my reading time and shall not disturb it with the "novel".

Edited by Big Guy