Microaggressions

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you are white. And I'm pretty sure you don't get asked this question hardly at all.

Apparently WestCoastRunner has super powers and knows how all white people are treated everywhere.

We have Asians here in bc who are considered bananas. White on the inside, yellow on the outside.

1. You are equating a group of people with bananas. You are devaluing a group of people and therefore committing a microaggression.

2. Wtf is 'white on the inside'? We are all humans on the inside.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

Apparently WestCoastRunner has super powers and knows how all white people are treated everywhere.

1. You are equating a group of people with bananas. You are devaluing a group of people and therefore committing a microaggression.

2. Wtf is 'white on the inside'? We are all humans on the

Edited by WestCoastRunner

You obviously don't live on the west coast. Get back to me when you are familiar with our west coast slangs.

You avoided answering the question.

As a white skinned person, I have never ever ever been asked where I am from.

So because you are never asked where you are from, all white people are never asked where they are from? Is that what you are trying to suggest?

What is your question again?

Wtf is 'white on the inside'?

And I guess white people when traveling abroad will be asked where they are from (because of their accent). But, really, what is your point?

Look grandma, Canada isn't a homogeneous place, and not everything was how it was in ancient times.

No, I'm being dismissive. In kimmy's example, the people said "where are you from" is the #1 thing that "pisses them off".

And to clarify, that was in terms of how often it happens, not how offensive it is.

By labelling it stereotyping. And by attributing malice to the person who is not interested in subscribing to someone else's conspiracy theories.

Sure it's stereotyping. Whether malice is intended or not. The inferred message is "your appearance makes me believe that you're a foreigner."

Just as my experience with sales people often leads me to infer that the message "your appearance makes me assume that you know nothing about technology so I am going to talk to you like you're a toddler." I'm sure there's no malice intended, but that doesn't really make me feel better.

Like, do you wander up to people offering them weight-loss advice and dieting tips as a conversation-starter or ice-breaker? Unless you're some kind of idiot or you're trying to get punched, I assume the answer is no. Because you know that's going to be received negatively, whether you're trying to be insulting or not. Ok, so here's some other things that might be received negatively by the person you're trying to have a conversation with. Perhaps it never occurred to you that saying these things might have negative connotations for the listener. But now that you've been informed, are you going to keep saying them?

-k

You obviously don't live on the west coast. Get back to me when you are familiar with our west coast slangs.

To be honest, "banana" sounds pretty similar to "Oreo"... which I thought was pretty negative. What is "white on the inside" supposed to even mean? It sounds suspiciously similar to "when I look at you, I don't see color" on the chart of microaggression no-nos.

For a long time my best friend was a Canadian-born girl of Chinese descent. I was as close to her family as I was to my own. I'd never say that to her. She was as Canadian as I am, but I would never have called her "white on the inside". That's appalling.

-k

To be honest, "banana" sounds pretty similar to "Oreo"... which I thought was pretty negative. What is "white on the inside" supposed to even mean? It sounds suspiciously similar to "when I look at you, I don't see color" on the chart of microaggression no-nos.

For a long time my best friend was a Canadian-born girl of Chinese descent. I was as close to her family as I was to my own. I'd never say that to her. She was as Canadian as I am, but I would never have called her "white on the inside". That's appalling.

-k

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Seriously? When you stoop this low, you have lost credibility.

What does that matter? The value of the arguments I make is independent of my 'credibility'.

What is "white on the inside" supposed to even mean?

Who knows. WestCoastRunner refuses to answer the question.

But it's not appalling when the Asians I know use that very same term. It's very common terminology in Vancouver. Asians born in Canada call themselves this and are proud to do so. Terminology has different meaning to different regions in Canada. People in Ontario would think it may sound derogatory but to Canadian born Asians in Vancouver, not so much.

And black people call each other "nigger" too, but I sure don't.

-k

Like I say, hang out with Canadian born Asians.

Like I say, I have. And if that's something they want to tease each other with, that's fine. But that's not for me to say.

My friend was as Canadian as maple syrup, but she went home to Chinese born parents and spoke Cantonese to her Chinese born relatives, and grew up in a culture where her physical appearance makes her "the other" and the beauty standard is me, not her, and many guys buy into all kinds of stereotypes about what Asian girls are like. She has all these experiences that I can't relate to and can't comment on, and I'm certainly not going to dismiss all of it by saying she's "white on the inside" because she grew up in Canada with English as her primary language. It seems incredibly dismissive, yet somehow patronizing at the same time.

-k

{"Oh sure Julia, they might see you as an Asian, but to me, you're all white! HA-HA! Get it?"}

Edited by kimmy

It means that these folks were born in Canada and were raised in Canada, attended Canadian schools and basically raised in a Canadian culture and not an Asian culture but because of their skin colour they had all the perceived preconceptions of not being Canadian. Come on, did I really need to spell this out for you.

So you are saying that to be 'Canadian' is to be 'white on the inside'?

Like I say, hang out with Canadian born Asians.

Apparently, if one disagrees with WestCoastRunner, it means one never 'hangs out with Canadian born Asians'.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

You avoided answering the question.

So because you are never asked where you are from, all white people are never asked where they are from? Is that what you are trying to suggest?

Sorry, if your experience is any different than the one WCR expects you to have, then your feelings/experiences are invalidated.