Knowing who is/was lurking

Anonymous Login: Stay or Go?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't understand the complaint. This forum is open to the public, and is likely routinely read by many people who never even post here at all. If you want to have a discussion where you know who all the participants will be ahead of time, surely you realize that a public forum is not the correct tool for that?

If someone is contributing to a forum, why are they signed on as 'invisible'. It makes no sense to me. Especially when they are contributing on a regular basis. Why not say 'hey, here I am'. Let's have a discussion. Instead of 'I'm invisible and I'm going to pretend i'm not here and lurk to see what everyone is posting. I may or may not respond, but it doesn't matter, because no one knows I'm here.

It's not transparent at all and it is very interesting that the perceived trolls are the ones who are 'invisible'. I don't mean to belabour this issue and at this point, I don't care. I just think it's an odd way to belong to a forum but to yet stay 'invisible' to all members when signed in.

If someone is contributing to a forum, why are they signed on as 'invisible'. It makes no sense to me. Especially when they are contributing on a regular basis. Why not say 'hey, here I am'. Let's have a discussion. Instead of 'I'm invisible and I'm going to pretend i'm not here and lurk to see what everyone is posting. I may or may not respond, but it doesn't matter, because no one knows I'm here.

Do you really not know who posts on this forum, regardless of whether they are visible or not? Are you surprised and caught off guard when BC_2004 posts on MLW? The guy's got over 37000 posts... him posting on MLW and seeing the threads you post is as sure as the sun rising.

Do you really not know who posts on this forum, regardless of whether they are visible or not? Are you surprised and caught off guard when BC_2004 posts on MLW? The guy's got over 37000 posts... him posting on MLW and seeing the threads you post is as sure as the sun rising.

Like I say, at this point, I don't care. I am curious as to why anyone would want to be anonymous when no one else is? And it makes it even weirder because BC is a perceived troll.

Like I say, at this point, I don't care. I am curious as to why anyone would want to be anonymous when no one else is? And it makes it even weirder because BC is a perceived troll.

At this point? As opposed to the point a day ago when you cared enough to start a thread about it?

It's not transparent at all

Isn't that the whole point of an anonymous forum? Why stop there then? Why not make it so that everyone knows eachother's real name, address, CV, etc.?

I am curious as to why anyone would want to be anonymous when no one else is?

But we all are anonymous...