Some Christian churches don't have "heads" they are non-hierarchical. Such religions will have wingnut clerics who should be mostly ignored, such as the Phelps' church.

Perhaps so, but by far the majority of Christian religious orders oppose the death penalty.

Codified in law from wingnut countries you mean ?

No, codified in law in the Islamic religious texts.

The rules don't seem to be different, but the structure of the religion and the prevalence of wingnut countries do I'll admit that.

The prophet of Islam was a warrior prince and ruler. The prophet for Christianity was a wandering preacher. The difference in the depth and breadth of laws and requirements between the two religions harkens back to their origins.

I know you don't like videos, but this one is only a few minutes long and most of us find Bill Maher interesting for at least that long... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpdGK3F4pC0

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps so, but by far the majority of Christian religious orders oppose the death penalty.

Ok, so where are we then ?

No, codified in law in the Islamic religious texts.

You mean like Leviticus ?

The prophet for Christianity was a wandering preacher. The difference in the depth and breadth of laws and requirements between the two religions harkens back to their origins.

"Harkens" meaning it causes one to be violent and not the other ? Please. Your conclusion is baked right in from the time you put the problem in the oven...

You mean like Leviticus ?

Leviticus was from a time before Christ and was superseded by the New Covenant. Look, Muhammed was the ruler of Medina. The laws he drew up for running Medina are the ones called Sharia today. They are civic and governmental laws and do not exist in Christianity.

Unlike Christianity, Islam does not separate religion from state, and many Muslims argue it is apolitical Islam not political Islam that requires explanation and that is an historical fluke of the "shortlived heyday of secular Arab nationalism between 1945 and 1970. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_aspects_of_Islam

Many Muslims you say ? There's that word again... "many" "few" words that describe numbers but don't state numbers...

Also the period of secular Arab nationalism is a "fluke" but the 100 years since we've seen "many" white Christians joining the KKK is a return to normal. This is known as cherry picking in secular math...

• 2 weeks later...

The Canadian Left is so politically-correct, it's sickening. For heaven's sake, the Niqab is banned from government and/or public places in many countries - including Muslim countries like Turkey and Tunisia. You can throw countries like France, Belgium, Spain and the Netherlands into the mix. And here in good old Canada, some are arguing that it should be allowed when taking the oath of citizenship. Talk about being off-base - how about off-planet!

The Canadian Left is so politically-correct, it's sickening. For heaven's sake, the Niqab is banned from government and/or public places in many countries - including Muslim countries like Turkey and Tunisia. You can throw countries like France, Belgium, Spain and the Netherlands into the mix. And here in good old Canada, some are arguing that it should be allowed when taking the oath of citizenship. Talk about being off-base - how about off-planet!

Yeah those SC justices are just a bunch of nut bars for sure.

I do appreciate that respecting individual choices, even ones we disagree with, is now "political correctness." Just goes to show how vapid and empty modern conservatism has become.

Do you have any idea or opinion as to why all those countries have largely banned the Niqab?

In Turkey and Tnunnisia its due to longstanding tensions between religious and secular elements of society that are lacking here. In Europe, it's due to xenophobia and intolerance and a lack of a tradition of true individual freedom.

Any more questions?

Why always just drive-by shallow slurs instead of debating substance. Do you have any idea or opinion as to why all those countries have largely banned the Niqab?

Because they dont have the enlightened SC Justices we have , and they are deeper thinkers than the right who propose all these dumb things for something so minor. (afterall, there are only a handful of Niqab wearers in Canada)

Other countries have other concerns....plus a shitload more xenophobes although some here are doing their best to close the gap.

Edited by Guyser2

In Turkey and Tnunnisia its due to longstanding tensions between religious and secular elements of society that are lacking here. In Europe, it's due to xenophobia and intolerance and a lack of a tradition of true individual freedom.

Any more questions?

I don't think it has anything to do with xenophobia or intolerance in Europe. Whilst I disagree with banning the veil, i understand that their intentions are to do with ending intolerance, not promoting it. They go about it the wrong way, in my opinion. It's like universities that ban pro life demos. I don't believe they believe they are being intolerant.

How about store owners. If I own one and someone came in with a mask on....................This so stupid even to be debating it. If she does not like the rules go back home. I am sick and tired of having to bend over for these people.

Edited by PIK

How about store owners. If I own one and someone came in with a mask on....................

.....like happens a thousand times a day from Nov to April.

Yes yes...do go on, finish this so called thought

This so stupid even to be debating it.

It truly is. They already ID'd her anyhow.

How about store owners. If I own one and someone came in with a mask on....................This so stupid even to be debating it. If she does not like the rules go back home. I am sick and tired of having to bend over for these people.

Your store is private property so you can let in who you like. But are you now suggesting someone wearing a niqab is intending to rob your store...

This is disgusting. If we go to a Muslim country women must adhere to their rules but apparently they can come to Canada and tell us how it is.

LOL...such simpleton thinking. Why im almost ashamed you grew up being educated in this country.

It must be tough being that thick day in day out.

The regulation prohibits all face coverings. If you want to allow the niqab you also need to allow KKK hoods. Do KKK hoods represent Canadian values?

The niqab ban had nothing to do with "represnting Canadian values", but ensuring that people could see the person taking the oath. take it away, Jason Kenney:

“I have received complaints from members of Parliament, from citizens, from judges of the citizenship court that it is hard to ensure that individuals whose faces are covered are actually reciting the oath. Requiring that all candidates show their faces while reciting the oath allows judges and everyone present to share in the ceremony, to ensure that all citizenship candidates are in fact, reciting the oath as required by our law. This is not simply a practical measure. It is a matter of deep principle that goes to the heart of our identity and our values of openness and equality. The citizenship oath is a quintessentially public act. It is a public declaration that you are joining the Canadian family and it must be taken freely and openly.

That's it. All the stuff about the niqab being antithetical to Canadian values is a mere afterthought designed to whip up the base and keep the cash rolling in.