Bridge between Windsor and Detroit

The federal US government says Canada will have to cough-up 250 million for the custom plaza but that price is nothing that the Tories have agreed to pay for the whole thing, which by Michigan view will be around 3.2 Billion. Can the Tories pay for this bridge?? https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/best-canada-pays-250m-u-131511304.html

I believe they said they will finance it by taxing those who use it. The Americans can't afford to pay for infrastructure of this kind any more. So they needed Canada to foot the bill.

At least this way when the US goes into bankruptcy proceedings the bridge won't be affected. :-P

I believe that the major problem is that the existing Ambassador bridge is privately owned (Manny Mouron) and the owners have been milking users for

Yep. The new bridge will be financed by Canada because it is a vital piece of infrastructure for...... wait for it......Ontario manufacturers and exporters.

Will it be built with tarsands money?

Another swing and miss by the OP.

Canadians love President Obama so much they are willing to accept the fact that his budget purposely omitted funding for the Detroit-Windsor bridge plaza and any expansion of the Blue Water bridge customs plaza. And as for that Keystone XL pipeline.....

Clearly having reached his limit in trying to bribe Michigan lawmakers into protecting his bridge Manny Moroun found some willing pockets open in the Obama administration.

Personally I think after the new bridge opens the government should simply put up a brick wall across the end of the Ambassador Bridge and keep it there till Moroun dies or goes into bankruptcy and has to sell the bridge for a pittance

Edited by Argus

The only problem for the government is they are going to have to put high tolls on the bridge and since truckers use the bridge the most, many may go to Sarnia to cross.

I should be a toll bridge only for Americans. Canadians should be allowed to drive over it for free.

Edited by Argus

...Personally I think after the new bridge opens the government should simply put up a brick wall across the end of the Ambassador Bridge and keep it there till Moroun dies or goes into bankruptcy and has to sell the bridge for a pittance

The bridge isn't needed as Ontario is slowly killing itself anyway. Just say no to DRIC.

I should be a toll bridge only for Americans. Canadians should be allowed to drive over it for free.

Given what we're already paying through tax dollars into the damn thing, I've never agreed with you more.

I grew up in Windsor and the problem with Moroun is that he refuses to release the maintenance and safety records on the bridge, which is nearing 100 years old. Federal engineers have already raised concerns. It's insane that its allowed to be privately owned and operated.

Federal gov't paying for the bridge is fine by me. And I agree with closing off the other bridge on the Canada side.

It's like any first world country that wants access to a less developed country... that under developed country is not going to foot the bill, so Canada will have to.

Charge a toll, make the money back.

Edited by The_Squid

The best part is that the Americans would pay the toll in USD, not Canadian pesos.

I thought that would be obvious.... no one thought Americans would pay in Pound Stirling...

1.00 Pound - 1.53 U.S. dollar