Let's Talk About the Raptors

Big Guy

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's obviously a contender.

Why do you think the Raptors are contenders? I mean contenders for winning a championship, not winning a weak division. I know they were in the final four, but they come out of a weak division and barely got there. Clearly they are a large step behind OKC and Cleveland, and not close to even being in the conversation with the Warriors.

Keeping their current stars, they are still one or two quality starters from stepping up to the Cavaliers shelf.

They excelled at milking the whole 'We the North ' blarney for major revenue, but on the court they are still very much a work in progress.

Why do you think the Raptors are contenders? I mean contenders for winning a championship, not winning a weak division. I know they were in the final four, but they come out of a weak division and barely got there. Clearly they are a large step behind OKC and Cleveland, and not close to even being in the conversation with the Warriors.

Keeping their current stars, they are still one or two quality starters from stepping up to the Cavaliers shelf.

They excelled at milking the whole 'We the North ' blarney for major revenue, but on the court they are still very much a work in progress.

Sure and they've also gotten a lot of picks to move for more talent and have younger talent that still has time to develop. JV is continually improving. Norman Powell had a great break-out rookie season.

In their current form they certainly aren't a contender for a title, but no one is mad they lost to the Cavs in the Conference finals. Making it to the Final four is most certainly a successful season. Up until this past season they hadn't won a series in 15 years and never won a Best of 7 series. Winning begats more winning.

And the fact that they are in a weak division is irrelevant as they still beat quality teams in the regular season (2-1 record against the Cavs, wins against the Spurs and Thunder etc) and only finished a game behind the Cavs for the one seed.

I'm hoping this deep playoff run has given the team the experience they need to move forward. They have a pretty good GM, we'll see what he does to improve the team.

Even the Warriors only have 2 or 3 "stars" the rest of the team is filled with capable role players, the Raptors just need more players like that.

Edited by Boges

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's essential that Norman Powell and/or Jared Sullinger play better at the 4 than Luis Scola did. That position was in complete flux all season with no solid starter decided upon, even in the playoff. 

Without Biyambo, Jonas needs to stay healthy. And Amarre Carrol's health is also a question for the full season. 

The NBA season seems to be going to a rubber match between Cleveland and Golden State yet again. So the Raptors are just looking to match last year's performance, but injuries happen. The Atlantic Division will be tougher with the Knicks and Celtics much improved, some might even say the Celtics are better than Toronto. 

You can see where the Raptors can achieve improvement without adding big Free Agent pieces. Derozan puts up a career performance and so does JV. 

Your two first round draft picks contribute. I'm happy with what I saw with Pascal Siakam in the 4 last night. They brought in Jared Sullinger to replace Luis Scola, but it looks like the guy they drafted to fill the void left by Biyambo may be able to step up and fill the gap. 

BTW what's up with Golden State? Can they actually take a step back by adding Kevin Durrant. I've heard talking heads say that adding Durant is good but they've sacrificed a strong middle by losing Andrew Bogut and Festus Ezeli. 

• 1 month later...

The Raptors have actually been playing very well this season. Firmly in the #2 Seed and have some nice wins on their resume. . . BUT!!!! They're now 0-3 against Cleveland, all 3 games were close. 

The schedule makers really screwed the Raptors here. The one time the Golden State Warriors came to Toronto it was a night after they played the Cavs on the road. Then after a controversial loss to Sacramento on the road they had to travel to LA to play the Clippers. That's a scheduled L if I've ever seen one. 

Their main offseason pickup, Jared Sullinger, will be on the DL into the new year. Hopefully he'll ad a spark heading into the playoffs. Their two rookies Pascal Siakam and Jakob Poeltl have been contributors as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tough game against Atlanta. Raptors are clearly going to have trouble with big teams. They could be contenders for a championship and I think they could do well against a team like GSW, but they can't get past the Cavs because they can't handle a rough game.

They're doing great this year though. Better record at this point this season than last.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Last night the Raptors beat a team in a Best of Seven series without needing all seven games, for the first time in their history. 

Tried their best not to win last night by blowing a 25 point lead and actually having to come back to beat the upstart Bucs. 

Cavs are next.