Uber has no hope in this town

Argus

The only way Uber drivers compete here now is by not having valid insurance. I'm not sure why you would endorse that.

Would you endorse for example an airline that employed amateur pilots and mechanics. or ran without the same safety regulations as other airlines?

Are the insurance companies also lining up to gouge taxi drivers simply because they can?

It's hard to believe that a trained licenced commercial driver in a doubly licenced vehicle that's inspected 4 time a year is still such a dire risk to insurers that they have to charge so much more in premiums that it makes the insured unviable. I just don't buy it.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The solution for drivers is obvious: Get your own car and drive for Uber.

It's ridiculous that drivers are protesting Uber. They should be protesting the municipal corruption that makes it impossible for them to earn a decent living ... by walking away and driving for Uber.

Uber is a minimum wage job and they have to pay income tax with a taxi job at least part of the take is cash which can be hidden-to a degree anyway and in this world any little bit counts.

Ever been turned down using a CC to pay for a taxi fare?

That's why.

Are the insurance companies also lining up to gouge taxi drivers simply because they can?

It's hard to believe that a trained licenced commercial driver in a doubly licenced vehicle that's inspected 4 time a year is still such a dire risk to insurers that they have to charge so much more in premiums that it makes the insured unviable. I just don't buy it.

Insurance companies gouge everyone because they can-didn't you know that?

Also-here in BC commercial passenger vehicle are inspected twice a year.

No I didn't know that. My insurance costs went down last year.

When I bought commercial insurance I could pay more for government insurance program or less for coverage provided by an insurance co-op. The government didn't require an inspection but the co-op did. Even with the costs of having to bring equipment up to the co-ops standard the co-op costs were lower.

I have zero sympathy for the taxi industry. They are the architects of their own fragility in just about every which way possible.

Uber is a minimum wage job and they have to pay income tax with a taxi job at least part of the take is cash which can be hidden-to a degree anyway and in this world any little bit counts.

Ever been turned down using a CC to pay for a taxi fare?

That's why.

Please cite that it's a minimum wage job.

Going after the TTC now.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/12/14/uber-launches-toronto-commuting-service-on-four-routes.html

The ride-hailing service Uber is pushing ahead with a new commuting service known as UberHop, offering $5 flat-rate rides on weekdays during rush hour on four specific routes.

UberHop, which launched last Thursday in Seattle, begins in Toronto on Tuesday, where larger vehicles like SUVs and minivans will pick up to five passengers from the same spot on a fixed route, usually a side street.

“We have seen a huge interest in people needing simpler and lower-cost commutes,” said Ian Black, Uber Canada’s general manager. “There are many routes that aren’t served by transit. There are many use cases where they need to get somewhere relatively quickly.”

The real next thing will be when Uber goes after private cars, insurance companies...everyone including us with whole fleets of driverless Uber cars. And just when Uber thinks they've got their monopoly sown up...we form a co-op.

What's with you and driverless cars? Want to talk about problems with insurance. Let a computer drive your care with zero imput from a human.

There'd be way fewer cars that's what's with me and driverless cars.

Less pollution, less natural resources used to make cars, no more car payments, goodbye to parking lots, driveways, gas stations, car salesmen, insurance payments, urban sprawl...

Want to talk about problems with insurance. Let a computer drive your care with zero imput from a human.

Not my car, it'll be Uber's, Google's or the co-ops car.

Yes zero input. You want people suddenly deciding to grab the wheel from a computer whilst going down a freeway at 180 kms or more an hour in bumper to bumper traffic? I wouldn't even expect there to be a wheel for a human to touch, it would be inviting disaster.

There'd be way fewer cars that's what's with me and driverless cars.

Less pollution, less natural resources used to make cars, no more car payments, goodbye to parking lots, driveways, gas stations, car salesmen, insurance payments, urban sprawl...

Not my car, it'll be Uber's, Google's or the co-ops car.

Yes zero input. You want people suddenly deciding to grab the wheel from a computer whilst going down a freeway at 180 kms or more an hour in bumper to bumper traffic? I wouldn't even expect there to be a wheel for a human to touch, it would be inviting disaster.

Some people like driving.

Change and progress don't factor into the Uber debate? If you say so.

While we're at it, lets talk about Flying Cars or when our entire existence will be in the Matrix and we'll never have to leave a pod.

If Uber is anything revolutionary, it's a communications tool, hooking people who are willing to give rides with people who need rides.

Nothing to do with eliminating the driver all together.

Edited by Boges

Uber is technology that makes things more efficient and less expensive.

The issue of technological change upsetting established modes of doing things is well framed by the story of Uber's rapid spread around the world. Driverless technology is pretty much already on the shelf as we speak yet it will probably take a generation to overcome the resistance it will face. The story about resistance to Uber is very much a part of the future of individual transportation and it will be widespread given just how many interests will be impacted by technology. Uber is the thin edge of the wedge.

Uber is technology that makes things more efficient and less expensive.

The issue of technological change upsetting established modes of doing things is well framed by the story of Uber's rapid spread around the world. Driverless technology is pretty much already on the shelf as we speak yet it will probably take a generation to overcome the resistance it will face. The story about resistance to Uber is very much a part of the future of individual transportation and it will be widespread given just how many interests will be impacted by technology. Uber is the thin edge of the wedge.

But irrelevant to the debate at hand. There's no evidence that there's even a demand for Driverless cars.

First Uber gets rid of cabs then the Uber drivers go. They'll be raking in the cash then. What was that about race to the bottom?

Edited by Boges

Hyperbole much?

Don't know. The idea of flying cars has been around for awhile.

Wouldn't our carbon footprint be lowered if we just lived in the Matrix? Many people have completely artificial lives online. In the movie Inception people live their important lives in dreams.

Sure it's hyperbole but so is thinking that removing the idea of driving an actual car is anything but decades away.

But irrelevant to the debate at hand. There's no evidence that there's even a demand for Driverless cars.

It's the demand for efficiency that's really at issue.

First Uber gets ride of cabs then the Uber drivers. They'll be raking in the cash then. What was that about race to the bottom?

I think our need to keep up to the race to the bottom is exactly what's driving Uber's success. The spread of technology to other parts of the world has resulted in our manufacturing following it and most of us are faced with having to make do with less money which means finding ways to spend less of what we have.

Like I said above when Uber gets to big and expensive we can form co-ops.