Fair Election Act

Topaz

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What resistance? A bunch of paid parrots continually repeating the same left-wing talking points that have already been completely debunked.

Sheila Fraser? When she calls this bill "an attack on democracy", yes, she is lying. You don't see her publicly railing against Quebec and Ontario who already don't allow vouching in provincial elections.

how much does the CPC pay you?

9 major changes. Here's another: the CEO of EC keeps the same powers.

All nine suggestions are very minor tweaks. Some of them actually strengthen the intent of the bill (like adding braille and pictures of the candidates to ballots). No one is suggesting that Elections Canada keep the same powers they have now. There are some differences of opinion as to how much their powers need to be pulled back, and how much of the same effect can be had by just having outside oversight. Maintaining communication between EC and their overseers is certainly the most important thing -- the original bill wasn't as clear on how that would work specifically.

The actual Senate report is here:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/SEN/Committee/412/lcjc/rep/rep06apr14-e.htm

1. Specifically authorize communications between the Commissioner of Canada Elections and the Chief Electoral Officer.

2. Include a requirement that attestations of name and address should be given to those who seek it (the elderly, homeless, Aboriginal peoples, etc.).

3. Remove the provision on spending during an electoral period – the part that would exempt as an election expense the commercial value of services provided to a registered party for the purpose of soliciting monetary contributions only from individuals who have made at least one contribution of $20 or more to the registered party or to one of its registered associations, nomination contestants or candidates in the last five years.

4. Extend retention of automated calling service call records to three years, from the one year proposed in Clause 76 of the bill, and make the contracting calling service company the repository for these records.

5. Clarify Elections Canada’s new, reduced role that ends democracy promotion so it will not affect Elections Canada’s working relationship with Student Vote, a project of CIVIX, or other electoral educational programs in elementary and high schools.

6. Encourage Elections Canada to place photographs of candidates on ballots, to address concerns of people who have trouble reading.

7. Encourage Elections Canada to provide information to those with vision loss, such as information about the availability of braille ballots, and to conduct a pilot project in the use of specialized voting kiosks, described to the committee by the CNIB witness.

8. Encourage Elections Canada to consider allowing verified electronic correspondence as a means of identification at polling stations.

9. Both the Chief Electoral Officer and the Commissioner of Canada Elections should expressly be able to inform the public of problems they uncover in the electoral system.

The biggest change is the one regarding exempting expenses to chase after new donations from previous donors. I strongly agree with that suggestion. Strict limits need to be enforced, but they also have to be very clearly written so that you don't have a difference of opinion as to what is and is not allowed.

A number of them look pretty substantial to me as they directly oppose the intent of the original bill. Poilievre is having to hunker down because a lot of the resistance is coming from within their own ranks. There was a lady senator, who's name escapes me now, interviewed not long ago by CBC who expressed some deep concerns about this bill and said that they could tie it up for months if need be until it's properly amended. And she is one of the hand picked Harper faithful.

Ok NDP MP for Toronto Danforth has weighed in on this and here's his opinion on it.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/04/15/senate_gives_government_cover_to_pass_antidemocratic_bill_tim_harper.html

Now Craig is an constitutional lawyer, I have had a couple good debates with him and I respect his opinion. But I have disagreed with him in the past!

Not sure if he's playing politics here, because he's on this big mission to venture off and slay the big bad senate.

Take it for what it is.

WWWTT

One report has said they the Tories are bringing in the money from this Act. I don't want to believe that the Tory supporters would let other Canadians not be allowed to vote because of vouching or EC not having more power to do its job on the robo calls scandals. Pierre said the head of EC wants more power and more money...well they did cut his budget and so lessening his power to do his job.

One report has said they the Tories are bringing in the money from this Act. I don't want to believe that the Tory supporters would let other Canadians not be allowed to vote because of vouching or EC not having more power to do its job on the robo calls scandals. Pierre said the head of EC wants more power and more money...well they did cut his budget and so lessening his power to do his job.

It's definitely a dog whistle for CPC supporters. Doing more to stop voter fraud has been consistently raised as something that they really wanted to see for a very long time. It will shore up support (money and votes) among the core, absolutely.

You're asking for a distinction that seldom has a difference. Individual voter fraud is just as likely to be candidate directed.

I'm asking for the documented cases of what you're talking about that has prompted the need for all the fear and insecurity the Conservative's reformed election.act is supposed to prevent.

I'm asking for the documented cases of what you're talking about that has prompted the need for all the fear and insecurity the Conservative's reformed election.act is supposed to prevent.

Again, and again you ask the same questions that have already been answered. Are you working on a remake of Groundhog Day?

Again, and again you ask the same questions that have already been answered.

My particular questions have been asked in the context of your clear implication that candidates are directing voters to fraudulently pass them selves off as other people so as to illegally obtain an election victory? There are actually documented cases of Canadian politicians doing this in recent elections that you know about? I'l keep asking you this again and again.

Are you working on a remake of Groundhog Day?

I'm working on you.

Two sides of the same coin, equally important. I'm on the side of democracy and preventing fraud.

If you were on the side of democracy, you would be very concerned about this bill like everyone else, including Tory senators, Tory MPs, Neufeld, the numerous electoral officers past and present that have raised concerns, and the majority of the public.

If you were on the side of democracy, you would be very concerned about this bill like everyone else, including Tory senators, Tory MPs, Neufeld, the numerous electoral officers past and present that have raised concerns, and the majority of the public.

The majority of the public is just repeating what the MSM told them, most of which is patently false. If what they THOUGHT was in the bill was true, then they'd have a reason to be concerned. Since it isn't, they don't. The Senators proposed some very minor changes, most of those just clarifications of what the bill already says.

The things that have the opposition bent out of shape are the parts that are the most important, and absolutely must stay.