The new religious order of climate change.Believe or Deny!

WWWTT

But you don't question who these scientists are and their qualifications?

You have a lot of faith brother.

Not at all. The system is built so that ideas compete and the best ones usually win. I don't have faith that any one person will produce the best idea, any more than I have faith that Bill Gates' software will be the best for years to come: the marketplace will decide.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you believe your own faulty memory of temperatures in years gone by ?

Actually I don't recall growing oranges on my parents farm 30 years ago?

Is that because I have faulty memory, or is it because it never happened?

So now you resorting to my memory must be bad?

This is what is known as tangible evidence, lets see it!

Why is it so hard for the hard evidence to show itself?

Just like God, or Allah, or any other central figure from a religion, lets see it!

WWWTT

Not at all. The system is built so that ideas compete and the best ones usually win. I don't have faith that any one person will produce the best idea, any more than I have faith that Bill Gates' software will be the best for years to come: the marketplace will decide.

Now you're comparing tangible computer software with non tangible predictions.

Lots of faith there!

WWWTT

Actually I don't recall growing oranges on my parents farm 30 years ago?

Is that because I have faulty memory, or is it because it never happened?

I don't know. Is your parents' farm in Florida ?

So now you resorting to my memory must be bad?

Resorting to ? Are you seriously asking me to trust YOUR memory over temperatures collected by scientific bodies worldwide ?

Why is it so hard for the hard evidence to show itself?

Just like God, or Allah, or any other central figure from a religion, lets see it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_stick_graph

Here you go ->

350px-1000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.p

I said nothing about tangible computer software, or computers at all... you're seeing religious visions, I think...

So once again Michael, which is it?

Does Microsoft not make computer software?

You're sounding a lot like American Woman.

WWWTT

I don't know. Is your parents' farm in Florida ?

Resorting to ? Are you seriously asking me to trust YOUR memory over temperatures collected by scientific bodies worldwide ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_stick_graph

Here you go ->

350px-1000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.p

So how many weather stations were at the Antarctic in the year 1200?

I'm guessing 0!

But hey, I've got a faulty memory so here's more data to disprove your belief!

http://ca.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7pPgtdVSVEQAHcgXFwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnZlZnRlBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=125ffccam/EXP=1389766240/**http%3a//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Expedition

Keep the faith man, because that's all that's holding global warming afloat.

WWWTT

So once again Michael, which is it?

Does Microsoft not make computer software?

You're sounding a lot like American Woman.

WWWTT

Doh. I thought you were talking about computer climate models... Oh, mea culpa - I screwed up. Let me answer this properly:

"Now you're comparing tangible computer software with non tangible predictions."

Software and ideas both live or die in a marketplace of ideas. The idea is that you set up a process so that good ideas succeed and bad ones die - this is called a meritocracy. Please review the peer review process and then get back to me.

I'm sorry about this - I thought you were another poster, which is why I assumed you knew more about the process than you do. You're saying that the earth is not warming, which is just incorrect. TimG is foremost among the skeptics here and he believes the earth is warming, so I don't know what to say to you.

You believe, I guess, that there's a worldwide conspiracy to cover up the real data. There's no other answer - if you don't believe the data. But... also... There's no evidence of any such plot.

Please educate yourself about proxies. Even if you just use temperature data, you will see that temperatures are going up.

Again - a global conspiracy would explain how a false story would be allowed to continue - is that what we're talking about ?

I'm guessing 0!

But hey, I've got a faulty memory so here's more data to disprove your belief!

http://ca.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7pPgtdVSVEQAHcgXFwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnZlZnRlBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=125ffccam/EXP=1389766240/**http%3a//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Expedition

Keep the faith man, because that's all that's holding global warming afloat.

WWWTT

Sorry, I errored, I should have wrote documented historical event, not data.

WWWTT

Please educate yourself about proxies. Even if you just use temperature data, you will see that temperatures are going up.

Again - a global conspiracy would explain how a false story would be allowed to continue - is that what we're talking about ?

I will not be drawn into a conspiracy theory debate.

However I will say it again. I do not see any tangible evidence that the temperatures are raising and that we are doomed.

Let me put it this way. What is the boiling point of H2O? 100C right.

We know this because we see this every morning when we make a cup of coffee or make a bowl of pasta.

But when the alleged climate scientists say that hey if the Earths temp goes up, many bad things will happen, why can't I see the bad things happening?

I don't need faith to see the boiling point of water, but you need faith to believe what the climate research is meant to highlight.

WWWTT

So... to recap - the original poster claims that a religious mindset leads to people thinking that the planet is warming. He is presented with evidence, which he then ignores.

I'm disappointed that the reasonable right-of-centre people on the board wouldn't call this poster to task for his ridiculous mindset. I regularly call out ridiculous left-of-centre and right-of-centre posters, and I wish more people on here would do so.

Otherwise, the board becomes a right-vs-left club, which is just a clash of identities - and leads nowhere.

I guess you can't see the graph I posted then ? The data is right before your eyes - explain what is wrong please.

Already did explain this.

Meteorological recording stations were not in place around the world 500 yrs ago!

Oh I clearly read the link you provided, you think that I would scoff at something that I did not familiarize myself with?

The link even clearly state that the data is disputed.

Don't here anyone disputing nuclear physics. Lots of tangible evidence there!

Oh and by the way, I only respond to your comment because this sit won't let me ignore you like any other poster.

WWWTT

So... to recap - the original poster claims that a religious mindset leads to people thinking that the planet is warming. He is presented with evidence, which he then ignores.

I'm disappointed that the reasonable right-of-centre people on the board wouldn't call this poster to task for his ridiculous mindset.

In that case you should reread the thread. Plenty of what you might consider "reasonable right-of-centre" people have called out WWWTT on his errors.

<_< I give up. I do not think WWWTT is open to reason.

GostHacked is in the thread about Fukushima Daiichi.

Hey look at that, there is an debate going on about nuclear physics!

Bad example then I guess?

WWWTT

In that case you should reread the thread. Plenty of what you might consider "reasonable right-of-centre" people have called out WWWTT on his errors.

I wouldn't hold Hardner's comment with to much merit here.

I never claimed that a religious mindset will/has/can lead to the belief of global warming and climate change.

The intent of the thread was to point out the incredibly obvious similarities!

WWWTT

global_surface_temps.png

Your words: "Climate change believers have all the hallmarks of belonging to a religious order."

So, your religious mindset rejects the accepted scientific approach of using proxies to estimate temperature; above you have the temperature record. That's the data for recent times for which temperature readings were available: do you agree that warming is happening now ?

I'm disappointed that the reasonable right-of-centre people on the board wouldn't call this poster to task for his ridiculous mindset. I regularly call out ridiculous left-of-centre and right-of-centre posters, and I wish more people on here would do so.

Otherwise, the board becomes a right-vs-left club, which is just a clash of identities - and leads nowhere.

Why do you assume that he is right of center? In fact he has outright stated he is NDP. Pretty foolish assumption on your part Michael which just shows your partisan ties.

WWWTT is normally an extremely left wing poster. I saw this thread as an attempt at trolling/satire and did not see the point of feeding the troll. Edited by TimG