CPC convention policy motions

Guest Derek L

te

12. Defund the CBC

Though it called the public broadcaster "an important part of the broadcasting system in Canada," the motion called for change, saying private competitors "must be able to compete in an ever-increasing fragmented and global market."

And so the motion called for the CBC to be reorganized including splitting the TV and radio operations with the ultimate goal being "elimination of all public funding of the corporation which creates unfair competitive advantage with privately owned and operated networks and stations."

It passed narrowly, 596-504.

This is disturbing. It's supposed to be an unfair advantage, that's the point. It means we can listen to radio without 'on location' ad campaigns, annoying "morning shows" and not have to listen to the same crap that is on every other commercial station. Any suggestion that 'commercialization" doesn't necessarily attract and propagate vacuous mainstream pap ignores the facts-there are no commercial stations like CBC.

Oh well, there's always BBC.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. As I’ve bleated about in the numerous firearms related threads, if the end game is public safety against firearms related violence, laws and measures that will actually keep the public safe are ideal. If we’ve achieved reasonable measures to “control” who can legally obtain firearms and ammunition, as I feel we have, the focus should shift to limiting the black-market for illegal arms purchases, both supplier and customer.
Creating and enforcing laws that limit legal purchases based on barrel length, magazine capacity, the physical appearance & name and most importantly, the firearms action, do little for public safety when the vast majority of firearms used in violent crime are obtained illegally.

Not in the US.

Not in the US.

I can buy an AR 15 tomorrow based on the strngth of my drivers license. If that's not crazy, what is? Anyway, it probably won't be long before there's another number of dead in a mall or a school, much as I hate to think of it. But you know as long as brain dead idiots support the NRA, it will continue.

Totally irrelevant to the topic.

Exactly. As I’ve bleated about in the numerous firearms related threads, if the end game is public safety against firearms related violence, laws and measures that will actually keep the public safe are ideal. If we’ve achieved reasonable measures to “control” who can legally obtain firearms and ammunition, as I feel we have, the focus should shift to limiting the black-market for illegal arms purchases, both supplier and customer.

That's just it. The "focus on the criminals" idea seems to some people a diversion, when actually it is the crucial point.

With some small effort, I think we could look at stats of criminals and criminal behavior, and determine whether normally law-abiding Canadians are becoming more likely to kill people based on barrel length, or weapons action.

I think the results would show something somewhere between negligible and non-existent.

Guest Derek L

Then it's not really up to the provinces anymore, either, unless they want to make administrative penalties relating to assisted suicide.

Why not, I’d assume doctor assisted suicide would be then under the preview of the individuals Provincial health plan .

Guest Derek L

That's just it. The "focus on the criminals" idea seems to some people a diversion, when actually it is the crucial point.

With some small effort, I think we could look at stats of criminals and criminal behavior, and determine whether normally law-abiding Canadians are becoming more likely to kill people based on barrel length, or weapons action.

I think the results would show something somewhere between negligible and non-existent.

I couldn’t agree more……To borrow from young Trudeau, the “roots causes” should be examined, fore I would assume social-economic conditions and accessibility to treatment for mental health to be more a factor then a folding stock or 10 round magazines versus 17 round magazines.