Surrey Panorama Ridge BC By-Election

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering about that Cartman.

I mean it was just one seat.

If I remember correctly B.C. is due for an election soon, so is it a sign of what's to come?

Sorry, but I'm not that up on B.C. politics, and I haven't read all the posts in this thread.

I know is my grandfather can't stand Campbell. (He lived in B.C. for 20+ years and still keeps up on the news there).

I was wondering about that Cartman.

I mean it was just one seat.

If I remember correctly B.C. is due for an election soon, so is it a sign of what's to come?

Sorry, but I'm not that up on B.C. politics, and I haven't read all the posts in this thread.

I know is my grandfather can't stand Campbell. (He lived in B.C. for 20+ years and still keeps up on the news there).

certainly it is a sign of cambells dropping popularity, but i belvie there are a few other factors, Jagrup may have, for lack of a better word, the ethnic connection. Aswell I don't think a governing party in B.C has won a by-election in a long long time.

certainly it is a sign of cambells dropping popularity, but i belvie there are a few other factors, Jagrup may have, for lack of a better word, the ethnic connection. Aswell I don't think a governing party in B.C has won a by-election in a long long time.

Imagine that, a man of Indo Canadian decent wining a seat in a riding that is domanated by Indo Canadians......when up against a white women.

It's also worth noting, a sitting government in BC has not won a by-election since the very early 80s.

Well Stoker; just watch what happens on May 11th.

I will.

By the way are you saying that white women come lower on the totem pole than ethnic minorities.

:rolleyes: As I said in my post, in Surrey thats very likely......just like how I doubt an Indo Canadian would fair well in most rural BC ridings such as my own.

We don't need short memories; We know what damage Campbell is doing to this province with his cuts to children's ministries; closing hospitals, raising medicare with longer waiting times for medical procedures or appointments. We have seen the alternative to the NDP and the NDP wins hands down. I would prefer a more central party but when it comes to choices; I will choose the NDP over the ruthless right wing Campbell "Liberals:

And why not; your friends and neighbours wouldn't be a bunch of racists, would they hmmmmm

Not anymore then the Indo Canadians that live in Surrey. :rolleyes:

Yes, but start looking things up for yourself Stoker. You need to learn a bit more before you keep shooting yourself in the foot. Maybe you could learn a thing or two. Don't you know how to use google?

I sure do..........I provide sources all the time to back up what I state as fact..........in this case the onus isn't on myself, since I was not the one using percentage points.

I gave you the facts; unless you can prove them wrong don't argue the point. They are the facts.

But you don't seem to understand that you indeed need to prove they are the "facts"......... :lol:

While this riding does have a large Indo Canadian population; it is only 21 %.  That leaves a 69% population that is non indo Canadian.  This is the riding where Chuck won as and independent candidate beating out his Conservative replacement Cheema.  So there goes your theory. phhhht.

Listen I am not saying and I don't think Stoker was saying, that the loss came entirley at the hands of Indo-Canadians. However, I think it is one of the many forces that saw Jagrup get elected. Now before you make your claims that ethnicity has nothing to do with it or had a negligable affect. You should be able to tell me how many of the 21% of indo-Canadians in the riding voted for Jagrup. If you can proove that it was in-line with 55% then you will have a point, but untill then I go with logic.

oh and by the way

VANCOUVER - Former Liberal MLA Gulzar Cheema says the NDP won Thursday's Surrey-Panorama Ridge byelection because Indo-Canadians voted in a bloc for Jagrup Brar.
The riding is heavily Indo-Canadian, with about 35 per cent of its residents of South Asian descent.
whats that 35% not 21%? that makes me really call into question your "Facts"

South Asian includes many more than Indo Canadians. duh.

VANCOUVER - Former Liberal MLA Gulzar Cheema says the NDP won Thursday's Surrey-Panorama Ridge byelection because Indo-Canadians voted in a bloc for Jagrup Brar.

Then what is his excuse when running for the federal election as a conservative he lost to independent Chuck Cadman. Chuck is defintiely not east Indian.

But you don't seem to understand that you indeed need to prove they are the "facts"......... 

No, I do not. I am quite satisfied with the information that I quoted. You need to come up with a source that claims otherwise; and is for 2004; like mine. Mine was government election sources for 2004

South Asian includes many more than Indo Canadians. duh.

Then what is his excuse when running for the federal election as a conservative he lost to independent Chuck Cadman. Chuck is defintiely not east Indian.

well, lets see two diferent circumstances maybe, please drop the whole cadman thing, Cadman could have won running for the green party and it woudl have ment nothing Cadman's personal popularity transcends party lines and ethnic voting blocs. He is just won of those people you vote for, In many cases I heard Indo-Canadians were angered by what cheema did wella ctually every one was angered by what Cheema did. You cannot compare Cheema to Cadman and expect to draw up an accurate conclusion.

I never said it was the only reason or even the biggest reason but I would list it as one of the many reason's for Jagrup's victory. The Liberals are not popular, and that would be the biggest reason but I belive this is not as single circumstance orientated as you belive.

Liberals are not popular, and that would be the biggest reason

That IS the main reason; so don't go looking for excuses. Too bad the Conservatives didn't recognize the po;ularity of Cadman before they allowed him to be replaced by an ethnic chosen candidate. Not too bright; were they. And telling him that he would not be welcome back in the party if he did run and win. That probably helped him get elected.

Oh and why should I drop the "Cadman thing" doesn't fit with your argument. hmmm

Liberals are not popular, and that would be the biggest reason

That IS the main reason; so don't go looking for excuses. Too bad the Conservatives didn't recognize the po;ularity of Cadman before they allowed him to be replaced by an ethnic chosen candidate. Not too bright; were they. And telling him that he would not be welcome back in the party if he did run and win. That probably helped him get elected.

Oh and why should I drop the "Cadman thing" doesn't fit with your argument. hmmm

I am getting sick of people spreading this crap. the conservative didn't dump Cadman and you know it. The conservatives knew he was popular, unfortuantley cheema kicked him out there was nothing the conservatives could have done. Besides that I remember alot of the conservative riding execs went to help Cadman.

------------------------------------------------------------

Next You should drop it because it is not a normal situation, and is not representative of normal politics. You can quote it if you like it, but it isn;t going to convince me. As i said show me who the indo-canadians voted for and then you will convince me until then i maintain that one of th emany reasons, Jagrup won was ethnicity, that doesn't mean i don't think it was largely due to Liberal un-popularity but there were other facots besdies that and it is moronic to state one reason for his losing.

In order to prove that ethnicity was a key factor in winning this riding, you would have to know how people voted. I suspect that there are many divisions within this particular group of people and they placed their votes for many different reasons. The way it sounds here is that they ALL voted and they ALL voted based upon ethnic solidarity (ethnic nepotism). Maybe, just maybe, people want to see the province move in a different direction

(i.e. undestruction/unruin/undrunk/unhigh) :lol:

Maybe he won because he's a John Travolta look-alike! :lol:

Too bad Syrup is "taking a break". It would have been hilarious to hear his perspective on this.

-kimmy