US's drug law

An article out today, says that IF Trudeau was elected PM, that he would have to get a "special waiver" to allow him to enter the US. Have they forgotten GW Bush? He had a drinking and cocaine problem and yet went on to become President and I read an article that said he did cocaine on Air One and that's why he was flying all over the country. Our present PM, who loves the US, allowed Bush and Cheney in, even though they had DUI's, which will keep you out of Canada also. The US is probably the biggest users of drugs, legal and illegal and I think this is so laughable. http://www.surreyleader.com/news/222090031.html

An article out today, says that IF Trudeau was elected PM, that he would have to get a "special waiver" to allow him to enter the US. Have they forgotten GW Bush? He had a drinking and cocaine problem and yet went on to become President and I read an article that said he did cocaine on Air One and that's why he was flying all over the country. Our present PM, who loves the US, allowed Bush and Cheney in, even though they had DUI's, which will keep you out of Canada also. The US is probably the biggest users of drugs, legal and illegal and I think this is so laughable. http://www.surreyleader.com/news/222090031.html

Technically maybe but in reality, no way. Just like Bush and Cheney, those rules are ignored when it comes to heads of government unless the guy is a mass murderer and maybe not even then.

I don't really care if some politicians have issues crossing the border. There is an waiver process that should get them through no problem after spending a bunch of money.

If you are a regular citizen and you get asked at the border whether you have ever smoked dope or done anything else illegal you should lie, lie, lie... Telling the truth will get you interrogated, searched and barred from the USA. It is just stupid to even think that your honesty will be seen as some sort of virtue.

However, it's a very rare line of questioning... I've traveled across the border many times and have never been asked anything of the sort.

Guest American Woman

An article out today, says that IF Trudeau was elected PM, that he would have to get a "special waiver" to allow him to enter the US. Have they forgotten GW Bush? He had a drinking and cocaine problem and yet went on to become President and I read an article that said he did cocaine on Air One and that's why he was flying all over the country. Our present PM, who loves the US, allowed Bush and Cheney in, even though they had DUI's, which will keep you out of Canada also. http://www.surreyleader.com/news/222090031.html

I would love to see the article that said Bush was flying all over the country doing cocaine on Air Force One. :D

Bush's offenses happened in the 70s, 25- 30 years prior to his becoming POTUS. Trudeau admitted to smoking pot since becoming an MP. That didn't stop the speculation about Bush's being allowed into Canada, though.

....if George W. Bush is elected president, he may need special permission to get into Canada because of his arrest for drunken driving. Note that there are ways around it.

Note, too, that according to Canadian attorney Darryl Larson: “If you admit to having smoked marijuana, you have admitted to an unlawful act. That would allow reasonable grounds for our immigration officers to determine that you have broken a law that if committed in Canada, would be subject to prosecution and therefore falls under this law. So this would apply to both Clinton and Gore.”

The US is probably the biggest users of drugs, legal and illegal and I think this is so laughable.

I think this is so laughable. Anything to back it up?

Edited by American Woman

Technically maybe but in reality, no way. Just like Bush and Cheney, those rules are ignored when it comes to heads of government unless the guy is a mass murderer and maybe not even then.

A set of rules for you and me. A different set of rules for those ruling over us. Fantastic examples of Democracy and freedom!

I would love to see the article that said Bush was flying all over the country doing cocaine on Air Force One. :D

Bush's offenses happened in the 70s, 25- 30 years prior to his becoming POTUS. Trudeau admitted to smoking pot since becoming an MP. That didn't stop the speculation about Bush's being allowed into Canada, though.

....if George W. Bush is elected president, he may need special permission to get into Canada because of his arrest for drunken driving. Note that there are ways around it.

Note, too, that according to Canadian attorney Darryl Larson: “If you admit to having smoked marijuana, you have admitted to an unlawful act. That would allow reasonable grounds for our immigration officers to determine that you have broken a law that if committed in Canada, would be subject to prosecution and therefore falls under this law. So this would apply to both Clinton and Gore.”

I think this is so laughable. Anything to back it up?

Laughable?? I'll say. Who would think to prosecute or disallow Bush on the basis of piddling charges like this? The guy is guilty of serious war crimes. He needs to be indicted for those.

A set of rules for you and me. A different set of rules for those ruling over us. Fantastic examples of Democracy and freedom!

No, there is a different set of rules for anyone they want to let in, not just those ruling over us and that's the way it should be. You have no right to enter any country if you are not a citizen and they don't have to give a reason for keeping you out. Democracy and freedom have nothing to do with it. You are not free or have a democratic right to enter some elses home without their permission, same goes for someone elses country.

No, there is a different set of rules for anyone they want to let in, not just those ruling over us and that's the way it should be. You have no right to enter any country if you are not a citizen and they don't have to give a reason for keeping you out. Democracy and freedom have nothing to do with it. You are not free or have a democratic right to enter some elses home without their permission, same goes for someone elses country.

True, and when permission is not given it's called an invasion! But the ends justify the means when fighting a global war on terror.

And today if you are a cop, at times you don't even need a warrant to enter someone else's home. That's to fight the global war on terror right here in your own back yard.

Guest American Woman

Not in Canada they can't unless it is in hot pursuit or they believe someones life is in danger.

Your "unless" confirms what GH said: "at times you don't even need a warrant to enter someone else's home...."

Your "unless" confirms what GH said: "at times you don't even need a warrant to enter someone else's home...."

But the gobal war on terror has nothing to do with it. If they can't convince a judge it was necessary to enter without a warrant, they will have no case and they don't get points for blowing cases..

There are some clear cases where a cop could enter a home without a warrant. Like chasing a suspect into a house and the suspect ends up taking hostages. Now if the cop enters the house on suspicion of a person entering a home without any prior information or 'history' (aka the chase) then that is illegal.