Happy Dominion Day 7/1/1867

WOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Thanks neighbour. But it's Canada Day around these parts now, so I hear :P We could arguably still be called a Dominion for all I know, but I would argue not since we have no legal/constitutional dependency on Britain.. Have a safe & happy 4th!

I do not go for the Trudeaupian nonsense of shirking Canada's great history so that it is just another gray, second-tier state. Canada is better than that.

We could arguably still be called a Dominion for all I know, but I would argue not since we have no legal/constitutional dependency on Britain..

That concept of a Dominion died in 1926. Regardless, there are still extant legal documents (post-1926) referring to Canada as a Dominion. That doesn't make the holiday any less Canada Day, though. It is named such by Act of Parliament (passed as deviously as it was...).

That concept of a Dominion died in 1926. Regardless, there are still extant legal documents (post-1926) referring to Canada as a Dominion. That doesn't make the holiday any less Canada Day, though. It is named such by Act of Parliament (passed as deviously as it wDas...).

Do you mean 1931?

That concept of a Dominion died in 1926. Regardless, there are still extant legal documents (post-1926) referring to Canada as a Dominion. That doesn't make the holiday any less Canada Day, though. It is named such by Act of Parliament (passed as deviously as it was...).

Passed late at night by a few ignorant MPs who had no idea what a Dominion was.

Passed late at night by a few ignorant MPs who had no idea what a Dominion was.

Late on a Friday, with less than a quorum in the House of Commons. It met some resistance in the Senate, but, obviously, was ultimately passed. "Canada Day" isn't the most imaginitive name for a national holiday; it's pretty absent any historical richness, unlike Bastille Day or Independence Day. I don't hate it; but something like Confederation Day might've been better.

(As a side, one would think Statute of Westminster Day (which exists and is observed, very quietly, in Canada) would be more pronounced in our calendar, since it is, more techniclly, our independence day. Confederation was just the union of three colonies out of many then in British North America.)

I tuned in to the national event and noticed that the Tories had their BLUE on the stage. It didn't look right with the blue, more like the USA, which is more recognizable than the Conservative logo.

Yeah, just like that conspiratorial change of the aircraft livery to Royal Canadian Air Force Conservative Party colours.

Honestly, it's a little refreshing to see something other than red and white; with everyone in red and white, a backdrop of different colours is needed.

I do not go for the Trudeaupian nonsense of shirking Canada's great history so that it is just another gray, second-tier state. Canada is better than that.

Explain.

The royal tradition, for better or worse, was deeply enmeshed in Canada's identity. The former "Royal" designation of the various armed services, "G-d Save the Queen" and the changing of the guard scratches the surface but provided badly needed color.

Canada was the country of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The concept of "fighting for the King (or Queen)" put Canada on the right side of history and morality for all of its wars, except of course 1774-83 and 1812-14. Canada stood for excellence in government, invention and medicine.

Enter Trudeau. His rabid desire to dis-Anglicize the country robbed it of much but not all of its color despite his best efforts. A welfare state with a bloated government and deficit replaced a lean, efficient government. The emphasis was on bi-bilingualism and multiculturalism, not excellence. Making the French, and incompatible refugees from around the world has diminished, but not destroyed, a great country.

Truly a sad result.

Enter Trudeau. His rabid desire to dis-Anglicize the country robbed it of much but not all of its color despite his best efforts. A welfare state with a bloated government and deficit replaced a lean, efficient government. The emphasis was on bi-bilingualism and multiculturalism, not excellence. Making the French, and incompatible refugees from around the world has diminished, but not destroyed, a great country.

I won't argue that Pearson (it started with him), Trudeau, and subsequent Liberals didn't engage in a deliberate purge of certain British-related or -rooted aspects of Canada's culture and history (the Crown, but not parliament; the Red Ensign, but not the English language; the Royal Canadian Air Force, but not Common Law; the Royal Mail, but not the public school system) while hypocritically leaving anything French-related alone, if not elevated to near-celebratory status. But, it's unfair to the descendants of Canada's French settlers to say their presence and that of their language and culture diminishes Canada.

But, it's unfair to the descendants of Canada's French settlers to say their presence and that of their language and culture diminishes Canada.

I totally agree. In fact, I was listening to a Canadian folk album (digitalized) in my car today. It was recorded in 1955, and had a leavening of a few French songs. I think that pre-Pearson Canadian culture incorporated both languages and cultures quite well. After they started to drum British roots out no so well.

I totally agree. In fact, I was listening to a Canadian folk album (digitalized) in my car today. It was recorded in 1955, and had a leavening of a few French songs. I think that pre-Pearson Canadian culture incorporated both languages and cultures quite well. After they started to drum British roots out no so well.

Well, in fairness to Pearson and Trudeau (I'm being very fair lately), the Quiet Revolution was something that wasn't their fault but they had to deal with. Though, I know that Pearson was miffed before that at Egyptians' refual to trust Canada or its soldiers during the Suez Crisis because the Canadian flag then had a Union Jack in the fly. That triggered the eventual great flag debate; though, it doesn't explain the animosity towards the Canadian monarchy.

Perhaps he was worried that, in some future conflict between Peru and Jamaica, the Peruvians would think Canada was under the command of the Jamaicans, what with them having the same woman as queen and all...

Well, in fairness to Pearson and Trudeau (I'm being very fair lately), the Quiet Revolution was something that wasn't their fault but they had to deal with. Though, I know that Pearson was miffed before that at Egyptians' refual to trust Canada or its soldiers during the Suez Crisis because the Canadian flag then had a Union Jack in the fly. That triggered the eventual great flag debate; though, it doesn't explain the animosity towards the Canadian monarchy.

Perhaps he was worried that, in some future conflict between Peru and Jamaica, the Peruvians would think Canada was under the command of the Jamaicans, what with them having the same woman as queen and all...

I laughed. It was funny.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear Barbados' and Australia's monarch's aren't getting along too well.