Edward Snowden

Well you quoted a part of the survey that has nothing to do with what we are talking about (information at borders, sharing with the US). At 7 in the morning before my first coffee I just assumed you did it because that part showed that people were more accepting.

I went right to your link and went right to the section about privacy and security.

The 'warrantless' stat that you included in your post is accurate.

I agree... youre a good poster, and I cant remember another topic besides this one where youve been irrational/illogical.

Keep in mind that no two humans agree 100% on everything. If you take two rational people and get them talking, well now that's interesting.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyways, seems like we should be able to put this to bed now... A huge majority of Canadians in fact want STRONGER online privacy protection and just about nobody wants surveillance beyond the the warrant system we have now, which works great, and doesnt violate anyones rights en masse.

The problem is the government wont stop, and they dont give a crap what we want. They want their shiny new toy and theyll keep trying to get it until they have it. Public opinion and the charter be damned. Thats what passes for democracy these days I guess.

The problem is the government wont stop, and they dont give a crap what we want. They want their shiny new toy and theyll keep trying to get it until they have it. Public opinion and the charter be damned. Thats what passes for democracy these days I guess.

The government exists by the will of the people in any kind of state, but most especially a democracy.

Guest American Woman

Looks as if there could be sanctions against any country that gives asylum to Snowden.

U.S. sanctions against any country offering asylum to Edward Snowden advanced in Congress Thursday as the 30-year-old National Security Agency leaker remained in a Moscow airport while Russia weighed a request for him to stay permanently.

Will be interesting to see if any countries rethink their offers.

Guest American Woman

Scumbag move by the US government.

Or perhaps it's a scumbag move to offer him asylum. It's also pretty hypocritical, since any of the governments in question would be cracking down on anyone who did the same within their country. But - it's a chance to stick it to the U.S., and some countries can't resist that - even at the expense of their own citizens.

Or perhaps it's a scumbag move to offer him asylum. It's also pretty hypocritical, since any of the governments in question would be cracking down on anyone who did the same within their country. But - it's a chance to stick it to the U.S., and some countries can't resist that - even at the expense of their own citizens.

Offering political asylum to someone persecuted for a political crime is actually a decent thing to do. The US has a rich history of such activity, including granting asylum to people wanted for espionage by countries like Russia etc.

It has nothing to do with sticking it to the US. Most Americans actually support what Snowden did.

We arent talking about a rapist or murder here. All this guy did was tell Americans that their own government was spying on them.

Edited by dre

Anyone ever heard of X-Keyscore? That what the program they use to invade the internet around the world and this info was just release through the Guardian website. This could cause many problems for the US around the world. I noticed that most of the locations are over in Europe and the Middle-East and not many in North America. Big Brother is defintitely watching. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/31/nsa-top-secret-program-online-data

Anyone ever heard of X-Keyscore? That what the program they use to invade the internet around the world and this info was just release through the Guardian website. This could cause many problems for the US around the world. I noticed that most of the locations are over in Europe and the Middle-East and not many in North America. Big Brother is defintitely watching. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/31/nsa-top-secret-program-online-data

My guess is that Microsoft got on board with the NSA years ago. Remember that Prism graphic showing companies coming online ? MS was in at the start. This could mean that operating system updates that you have to run (some of these even load without your approval) could enhance spyware that MS has embedded deep into its OS.

My guess is that Microsoft got on board with the NSA years ago. Remember that Prism graphic showing companies coming online ? MS was in at the start. This could mean that operating system updates that you have to run (some of these even load without your approval) could enhance spyware that MS has embedded deep into its OS.

That is part of it. Now you can see the concern. It's not just metadata they have access to.

Guest American Woman

CBC is reporting that political refugee Snowden has finally been granted asylum in Russia, and has now left the airport.

Temporary asylum, for one year.

Temporary asylum, for one year.

Yup, thats plenty of time for him to arrange permanent assylum there or organize another destination.

Oh well... Im sure we can all agree this is a positive thing, and its a good thing that he wont be thrown in jail for longer than a murderer or rapist for simply telling Americans their government was spying on them. Right? :)

Guest American Woman

Ya never know! His knowledge of US security might actually make him quite a valuable asset! :D

If Russia wants to be stupid enough to trust him with their security secrets, I say go for it - because I'm sure if he were to leak out any of that information, Russia would be fine with it. :)

If Russia wants to be stupid enough to trust him with their security secrets, I say go for it - because I'm sure if he were to leak out any of that information, Russia would be fine with it. :)

Thats ok! He could get Asylum in America like many other people in the past who the KGB were after :). Maybe Russia would threaten to start a trade war!

Edited by dre

You sure got that right.

I wonder how such liberal, bleeding heart democracies such as Ecuador or Bolivia would treat someone who exposed corruption much less legitimate state secrets.

You sure got that right.

I wonder how such liberal, bleeding heart democracies such as Ecuador or Bolivia would treat someone who exposed corruption much less legitimate state secrets.

Theres no question theres hypocracy at play but its virtually universal. Think the US has never given asylum to anyone fleeing prosecution for espionage by foreign governments?

Like Sergei Tretyakov or Stanislav Lunev?

I assume you were outraged about them being given asylum too right? ROFLMAO.

Theres no question theres hypocracy at play but its virtually universal. Think the US has never given asylum to anyone fleeing prosecution for espionage by foreign governments?

Like Sergei Tretyakov or Stanislav Lunev?

I assume you were outraged about them being given asylum too right? ROFLMAO.

Of course I would not have been. I'm honest enough to admit it.

You will not see a post where I expressed outrage. On the other hand it's O.K. with me if there are consequences for sticking your thumb, needlessly, in the U.S.'s eye. New Brunswick's welcome to Benedict Arnold was not exactly warm.

You will not see a post where I expressed outrage. On the other hand it's O.K. with me if there are consequences for sticking your thumb, needlessly, in the U.S.'s eye.

Nobody has done that. The majority of Americans believe Snowden is a necessary whistle blower. And nobody in their right mind believes he should be returned to the US to face a longer sentence than a murder or rapist... for simply telling Americans that the Obama administration was reading their phone records and emails.

Guest American Woman

You sure got that right.

Considering the freedom of the press/expression that exists, or should I say doesn't exist, I think it's quite clear; that's why I find it unbelievable that they are being perceived as 'heros:' no criticism for them, their policies, what the people want/how giving Snowden asylum would affect them. It's a slap in the face for the U.S., so apparently it's all good. Russia being lauded over the U.S.? It's unbelievable, really. I don't understand why the same scrutiny isn't being applied to said countries, but that goes against the trend these days.