BC Greens get First Provincial MLA Elected

Andrew Weaver world renowned Climatologist has just been elected B.C.'s first Provincial Green MLA.

In my riding too :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/14/andrew-weaver-green-party_n_3276101.html?utm_hp_ref=canada-politics

The riding next to mine is still pretty close about 150 votes apart, so its almost 2 green MLAs. That riding elected Canada's first Green Federal Member of Parliament Elizabeth May last election despite the corporations who control the Federal Debates banning her from the debates, despite her previously getting into the debates because of public outrage the time before when she had been banned from them. Soon after May was elected, her fellow parliamentarians voted her Parliamentarian of the Year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/11/22/parliamentarians-of-the-year-elizabeth-may-macleans_n_2176256.html

For all the naysayers who said voting for a third party like the greens was a waste of a vote, and would never get anyone elected. This ones for you. Your vote counts, and you do have a choice no matter how many billions are spent to convince you otherwise. What has begun on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands, the first to elect Greens Federally and Provincially could be the start of a real third party progressive movement in North America.

Edited by G Huxley

Guest Derek L

The results is great news for the harper gov, bad news for poor trudeau.

I don't think it's only good news for Federal Tories, but for Canadians.........I don't know though if this is so much bad news for the Federal Liberals, not sure.......I wonder if the BC Liberals were helped by Trudeau in a way.........Though the Federal and BC Liberals are not one and the same, the BC Liberals are a mish-mash of both Federal Liberals and Conservatives......Clark has ties with the Federal Liberals (her son's father for one) but the party also has direct ties with the Tories/Reform, one of the bigger names would be Stockwell Day.........

But I think this, the Alberta election, the Newfoundland bi-election and the "mood" within Ontario is not a good indicator for the NDP (Thank God.....and I'm agnostic).........If the NDP was a public company, I think now would be the time to start dumping shares........

Guest Derek L

Great! This'll be newsworthy when they manage to elect someone outside of BC now.

Well who knows......maybe the NDP will start bleeding votes to the Greens?

Guest Derek L

I've always heard that the Greens are closer to the Liberals. More Fiscal Conservative than the likes of the NDP.

I don't know today, but many of the early Greens had ties with the PC Government of the 80s......See Ms May

The leader of the BC Greens was a Reform Party member....

No she was not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Sterk

The only overlap that Greens have with conservatives is an interest in reforming the tax system so it is more focused on consumption rather than income. Outside of that Greens are the same as the NDP.

Edited by TimG

I don't think it's only good news for Federal Tories, but for Canadians.........I don't know though if this is so much bad news for the Federal Liberals, not sure.......I wonder if the BC Liberals were helped by Trudeau in a way.........Though the Federal and BC Liberals are not one and the same, the BC Liberals are a mish-mash of both Federal Liberals and Conservatives......Clark has ties with the Federal Liberals (her son's father for one) but the party also has direct ties with the Tories/Reform, one of the bigger names would be Stockwell Day.........

But I think this, the Alberta election, the Newfoundland bi-election and the "mood" within Ontario is not a good indicator for the NDP (Thank God.....and I'm agnostic).........If the NDP was a public company, I think now would be the time to start dumping shares........

Trudeau never did a damn thing for them. Harper did more for her then the fed libs .And that will not be forgotten. I guess he did not want to tie his wagon to someone that was supposed to lose. Looks good on him.

Guest Derek L

Trudeau never did a damn thing for them. Harper did more for her then the fed libs .And that will not be forgotten. I guess he did not want to tie his wagon to someone that was supposed to lose. Looks good on him.

I never said he did directly, but many may have voted Liberal because Trudeau is a Liberal, even though both parties are not one and the same.

Guest Kenneth

No she was not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Sterk

The only overlap that Greens have with conservatives is an interest in reforming the tax system so it is more focused on consumption rather than income. Outside of that Greens are the same as the NDP.

The NDP has adopted many policies that originated with the Greens, so the similarity has been a deliberate attempt to undermine the Greens who they correctly recognized as a threat. There are still significant differences between the Greens and the NDP.